HTML,CSS,Web Design,UX, and Digital Marketing?

applesbananas

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone in these fields?

In a couple months I'm about to take some of General Assembly's online courses in these fields. I'm hoping this will be the start of a Web Development career. Here's their website:
https://generalassemb.ly/

I plan on teaching myself some of the basics prior to signing up from these sites that was actually referred to me by a fellow Sherdogger:
https://stackskills.com/
https://www.codecademy.com/learn

I don't have any real experience in this field but I am confident I can have success in this course as I am fairly tech savvy, hard-working, and legitimately interested in this field. I plan on attending the full-time, on-campus Web Development Immersive course when I get out of the military in 2018.

Any fellow Sherdoggers that have any experience in this subject? I have also been told that Core's UX program was pretty good:
http://www.theskool.co/collections/all/products/copy-of-precore-1-0-sales-kit

Thanks

Edit//Also heard that this website:
https://www.coursera.org/recommendations
is good for learning in this field. You get certifications and the instructors are from legitimate colleges.

Last edited:
TTT

Also good alternatives:

https://teamtreehouse.com/
You can pay $20/month. Seems good to learn the basics.

https://www.udacity.com/
You pay $200 or $300/month. If you complete a full course, you get a nanodegree. Complete a full course in less than a year then you get 50% of the money you spent back. If you pay $300/month and don't get a job in the industry within 6 months after graduating, you get all your money back. This company is interesting because they work hand-in-hand with a lot of big companies in the industry like Google, AT&T, etc.

I've heard good things from both of these sites.

Edit- I sort of misread your post, so maybe this doesn't apply to you, but it could helpful to others.

Depends on your personality but you can learn a lot yourself. Basically everything. CSS and HTML is easy. w3 schools. Then just start doing it. Use notepad++ or visual studio code (or something else, but these are free and ok, I'm sure there is something better out there for free these are just examples).

HTML and CSS doesn't take much insight. It just takes time. It's like learning how to fix a car. Every redneck idiot can do it. It just take time. Hours and hours of lining up shit. Learning the tags.

First I would go to w3schools. Then I after spending a few weeks running through that
I would just go on youtube, find someone you like, do their tutorials. Or buy an up to date book.

If you have a question, google it, look for stackoverflow. They answer all.

It takes time, many hours. But it's not hard.

Now learning javascript, php and all the other languages that tie in can be a bit more confusing. But basically follow the same steps. w3 schools, youtube, google for specific questions, up to date book. Then hours and hours of time.

If more experienced programmers think I'm wrong, please correct me, I'm new to the field as well. Been programming about a year pretty much every day.

I watch this guy for pretty much any new subject I learn, along with other resources

He teaches a variety of topics like java, android and more.

Last edited:
Edit- I sort of misread your post, so maybe this doesn't apply to you, but it could helpful to others.

Depends on your personality but you can learn a lot yourself. Basically everything. CSS and HTML is easy. w3 schools. Then just start doing it. Use notepad++ or visual studio code (or something else, but these are free and ok, I'm sure there is something better out there for free these are just examples).

HTML and CSS doesn't take much insight. It just takes time. It's like learning how to fix a car. Every redneck idiot can do it. It just take time. Hours and hours of lining up shit. Learning the tags.

First I would go to w3schools. Then I after spending a few weeks running through that
I would just go on youtube, find someone you like, do their tutorials. Or buy an up to date book.

Now learning javascript, php and all the other languages that tie in can be a bit more confusing. But basically follow the same steps. w3 schools, youtube, google for specific questions, up to date book. Then hours and hours of time.

If more experienced programmers think I'm wrong, please correct me, I'm new to the field as well. Been programming about a year pretty much every day.

I watch this guy for pretty much any new subject I learn, along with other resources

I cant imagine thinking in boolean language all day, sounds fucking boring. I guess its a good thing some people enjoy it. Ill take networking and getting my hands dirty over coding all day anytime.

This would be ideal for my bank account but I'm just not confident that I can teach myself to the point where I can earn a comfortable living. I feel that if I teach myself the basics using a website like w3school, maybe take some online courses, and then take an in-person class with teachers to guide me, I can definitely be able to do this.

I cant imagine thinking in boolean language all day, sounds fucking boring. I guess its a good thing some people enjoy it. Ill take networking and getting my hands dirty over coding all day anytime.
I am actually majoring in networking.

This would be ideal for my bank account but I'm just not confident that I can teach myself to the point where I can earn a comfortable living. I feel that if I teach myself the basics using a website like w3school, maybe take some online courses, and then take an in-person class with teachers to guide me, I can definitely be able to do this.

I am actually majoring in networking.

Well it's nice talking to people in the industry to get an idea of what you need to do, get going down the right path. But the vast majority will be on your own. I'm of course not against certifications or school degrees because employers want it generally. But if there are teens reading this sitting at home and wanting to learn, just go do it. It's all there for free. Just making a site you like. w3schools, youtube, library, amazon for textbooks if you want them, and you're set. I taught myself android and java to the point I can make some real apps. Never took a class on it.

Not saying it's the only way, the best way, or the way it should be done. That's all up to the individual. Just pointing out it can be done.

I think Networking and programming are completely different. They are often lumped together because technologically they are connected. But networkers in my view are like mechanics or pipe fitters. They put things together, connect things, follow rules. The best they really can do is make things work. Get the engine running and doing what you want. Software developers are more like artists giving to the world. Actually writing the programs isn't what is important. You can teach a fool to program. But only an artist or a visionary can do something truly worthwhile.

Last edited:
Well it's nice talking to people in the industry to get an idea of what you need to do, get going down the right path. But the vast majority will be on your own. I'm of course not against certifications or school degrees because employers want it generally. But if there are teens reading this sitting at home and wanting to learn, just go do it. It's all there for free. Just making a site you like. w3schools, youtube, library, amazon for textbooks if you want them, and you're set. I taught myself android and java to the point I can make some real apps. Never took a class on it.

Not saying it's the only way, the best way, or the way it should be done. That's all up to the individual. Just pointing out it can be done.
I definitely wish I knew that this is what I wanted to do when I was young. My computer teacher actually tried pushing me towards coding when I was in high school because I breezed through his class, but I wasn't interested at the time.

No time for a lengthy post, but just to drop this reality, you're not going o be a web developer with html and CSS skills.

Any reputable company or a startup are looking for people with knowledge of and experience dealing with JavaScript, PHP, and frequently an array of other technologies (ruby on rails, SQL). General Assembly is really only worth the cost of admission if you attend in person and take advantage of the networking opportunities it provides

No time for a lengthy post, but just to drop this reality, you're not going o be a web developer with html and CSS skills.

Any reputable company or a startup are looking for people with knowledge of and experience dealing with JavaScript, PHP, and frequently an array of other technologies (ruby on rails, SQL). General Assembly is really only worth the cost of admission if you attend in person and take advantage of the networking opportunities it provides
I'm leaning more towards UX design. Yes, I hear JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, and SQL are big.

I'm leaning more towards UX design. Yes, I hear JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, and SQL are big.

Ah, yeah. UX designers, the major requisite is applied artistic talent. I know people in SF with jobs at very well known companies as lead UX designers who have literally no coding/markup knowledge.

Ah, yeah. UX designers, the major requisite is applied artistic talent. I know people in SF with jobs at very well known companies as lead UX designers who have literally no coding/markup knowledge.
Interesting, I thought it would take some knowledge of coding.

Interesting, I thought it would take some knowledge of coding.

I'm not saying this is always the case, but it commonly is. As long as you gave art skills to design layout sketches and presentations and can talk the talk, that's basically the job.

Wow, thats crazy, never even heard of a UX designer before today. Seems the the new fangled version of a graphic designer mixed with a project manager. (pssstt...dont tell anyone, but it sounds like bullshit made up for millenials)

Last edited:
Wow, thats crazy, never even heard of a UX designer before today. Seems the the new fangled version of a graphic designer mixed with a project manager. (pssstt...dont tell anyone, but it sounds like bullshit made up for millenials)

That's hilarious that you've never heard of UX design before today, because you pretty much just encapsulated everything about it into two sentences. Most of the people I know from school who deviated into it were the half-assed self-proclaimed artists who couldn't grasp even the fundamentals of code syntax.

That's hilarious that you've never heard of UX design before today, because you pretty much just encapsulated everything about it into two sentences. Most of the people I know from school who deviated into it were the half-assed self-proclaimed artists who couldn't grasp even the fundamentals of code syntax.
Haha, I guess with age comes wisdom. Been working in IT for around a decade, so seen a bit of the bs trends come and go

I'd too would like to learn more of UX Design. Might even be able to get my employer to chip in on training....so can I get certs for this or will I need to truly go back to school and rack up debt to be proficient in this space?

Good replies in this thread.

For digital marketing, you sometimes have a "focus", such as the front-end folks who go from PSD file, to HTML/CSS, to a platform (like a Email Service Provider, or Marketing Automation Platform).

The UX tends to be inline with the front-end "Creative."

I would NOT recommend going back to school for this stuff unless your employer pays for it. You can learn it all on your own, and getting into a UX specific role can require a Industrial Design degree, and has a very niche field.

Your better off learning UX for fun, and applying that to self-created projects.

So a UX designer (when I've recruited them, or worked with them), normally have Degree +1-2 years of Design experience, or, no Degree, and 3-5 years of Design experience.

Luckily for you no programmers "think in boolean all day" either. Computers obviously "think in boolean" but programmers do not.

Luckily for you no programmers "think in boolean all day" either. Computers obviously "think in boolean" but programmers do not.
Meh, I don't know man. The programmers here are some of the oddest mfers you could ever meet. They hide in their offices with the lights off all day. They could be dead and no one would notice until the smell got bad. Like I said, Im glad there are people that like that shit. I need contact with humans so I will continue to do troubleshooting and networking.

Back