Huge similarities between the storylines of Costa and Topuria

tornado362

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We’ve got an undefeated guy, who’s a finisher coming in to face a long reigning champion, who’s undefeated at their weight class.

Both Volk and Adesanya are from the same gym.

Both Costa and Topuria were/are coming off Unanimous decision victories in a war.

Costa was 13-0, Topuria is 14-0.

Both are talking a lot of game about how the other is too small/skinny for them, and how they’re going to make it look easy.

But we all saw what ended up happening to Costa

Do we see Topuria do what Costa couldn’t? Or should Costa be giving Topuria some advice in that pre-fight press conference

Costa was never and still isn't a very "skilled" striker. Topuria is a very slick and powerful striker.

Costa sorta just wades forward through his opponents offence and chucks back a bunch of volume with massive combinations to overwhelm.... against Izzy he tried to be a defensive kickboxer which got him melted (seemed to try and copy Jason Wilnis who beat Izzy with a similar defensive style). Win or lose I do think Topuria will make adjustments to make this fight very competitive where Costa seemed too in his head to... possibly wine drunk <45>

Similar storyline but stylistically not quite apt for all parties. Although Costa/Ilia is pretty solid. Both very underrated wrestlers/grapplers, very good at range, excellent orthodox pressure fighters with power & volume. Both LOVE hitting the body mid-or-end-of-combination. I'd say Ilia p4p is the harder hitter though.

Both love wine on fight week as well!

Similar storyline but stylistically not quite apt for all parties. Although Costa/Ilia is pretty solid. Both very underrated wrestlers/grapplers, very good at range, excellent orthodox pressure fighters with power & volume. Both LOVE hitting the body mid-or-end-of-combination. I'd say Ilia p4p is the harder hitter though.

Both love wine on fight week as well!
Sorry yeah, I meant like similar storylines not as in they themselves are similar ahah

Don't remember Costa being flash KOed and almost losing to a borderline UFC caliber fighter on his way up the ranks.

not really costa appeal was being a chad.

ilia is far from being a chad.

costa is a likeable troll. ilia is far from that.

costa has a fez from 70s show meets chad vibe.

ilia has a vibe of an annoying guy on his phone at a starbucks driving a honda civic vibe.

only similarities they share is that they live on the same planet
I think there is a similarity in that they have both been put into a title fight with very little top level experience.
Costa was 13-0 with wins over Yoel, Uriah Hall and a former top WW in Hendricks. Combined that was less than 6 rounds with top 10 level fighters. He had 18 rounds in his career before being booked into a title fight. Many of those rounds were less than the 5 min.

Topuria has 5 rounds with Emmet and his next top wins are Bryce Mitchell and Ryan Hall. His career total is 23 rounds (10 first round finishes so not even full rounds).

With all the talk about MMA being different than boxing where boxers have padded records with sub par competition and MMA not needing to be undefeated and the best fight the best it certainly seems the UFC values pushing undefeated fighters who pass a single test to getting a title shot.

I can see the similarly in trajectory and path but the difference is Costa is a clown. Topuria takes the job seriously and is always locked in.

Back