Human Beings will Never Colonize Mars

Hog-train

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I don't know why Elon Musk thinks we'll start to colonize by as early as the 2050's. There is a gigantic impediment to that ever happening and can't be changed with technology - the gravity.

It is 1/3 that of Earth. So that will wreak havok on our bodies and stop us from reproducing. For reference, a 185 pound man would weigh 65 lbs on Mars.

Then of course there are all the other problems - little atmosphere, no food source, radiation and the temperature. But even if all of those things were taken care of with technology - you can't get around the gravity problem.

Same goes for colonizing any other planets much farther away. We'd need to find a habitable planet that is similar in density to have the similar gravity.

Why Human Beings Will Never Colonize Mars

There aren't many options to escape to. Maybe one of Saturn's moons?

I wont be surprised if somone down the line figured out how to make a livable habitat there.

Wont be in my life time anymore I don't think

We don't have to move there, we can solve the problems going on with planet Earth. Us moving to Mars is basically like sweeping the dirt under the rug. Doesn't solve anything, people won't change. They'll just do what we're doing on earth and start spreading the problem to another planet.

Hopefully we’ll eugenically eliminate the imbeciles from the gene pool by a careful screening process regarding who goes to Mars.

We don't have to move there, we can solve the problems going on with planet Earth. Us moving to Mars is basically like sweeping the dirt under the rug. Doesn't solve anything, people won't change. They'll just do what we're doing on earth and start spreading the problem to another planet.

Hopefully we’ll eugenically eliminate the imbeciles from the gene pool by a careful screening process regarding who goes to Mars.

lol well I hope so.

Even the brightest and smartest people out there are not perfect. People will be people regardless how logical they are imo.

We just gotta find the right person to start the generator

FIVR1UPIYAN1S27.jpg

For reference, a 185 pound man would weigh 65 lbs on Mars.

That's gonna put weightwatchers out of business fast

I remember making a case for there being water on Mars, but life not being on Mars, when I wrote an essay for the Open University.

Basically, I stated that due to the tectonic plates the poles, and indents of what looked like evidence of cliffs and trails on the same, that I believed that there used to be water, rivers and waterfalls on Mars, and that traces of water are beneath the surface.

I also stated that the conditions suitable for life on Mars were too brief, and the fluctuations in weather were too extreme for life to evolve. Basic extremophiles, maybe, but unlikely.

I then called Mars a planet that used to be "alive", but had since died, due to radiation and inactive tectonic plates.

I can barely remember what I scored. Think it was about 50 out of 100. I passed the overall module, scraped through really. Pass mark was low, I wasn't that dedicated and left things to the last minute.

But yeah, that's my opinion. Mars is dead. Unless it's massively terraformed, there isn't much point in colonising Mars.

I don't know why Elon Musk thinks we'll start to colonize by as early as the 2050's. There is a gigantic impediment to that ever happening and can't be changed with technology - the gravity.

It is 1/3 that of Earth. So that will wreak havok on our bodies and stop us from reproducing. For reference, a 185 pound man would weigh 65 lbs on Mars.

Then of course there are all the other problems - little atmosphere, no food source, radiation and the temperature. But even if all of those things were taken care of with technology - you can't get around the gravity problem.

Same goes for colonizing any other planets much farther away. We'd need to find a habitable planet that is similar in density to have the similar gravity.

1/3 gravity is not zero gravity. My understanding is that we don't quite know at this point what living long term in reduced gravity is going to do to us. We can mitigate the effects of zero gravity by rigorous exercise (though there is currently no way to reduce skeletal deterioration), so maybe rigorous exercise would completely eliminate many of the effects of 1/3 gravity?

The big question is what it will do to our skeletons... we might have to go full wolverine, or construct rotating modules that add to gravity without making people constantly dizzy.

1/3 gravity is not zero gravity. My understanding is that we don't quite know at this point what living long term in reduced gravity is going to do to us. We can mitigate the effects of zero gravity by rigorous exercise (though there is currently no way to reduce skeletal deterioration), so maybe rigorous exercise would completely eliminate many of the effects of 1/3 gravity?

The big question is what it will do to our skeletons... we might have to go full wolverine, or construct rotating modules that add to gravity without making people constantly dizzy.

Artificial gravity is a most titillating subject.

Elon Musk thinks a lot of crap. I'm quite sure people can, at some point, colonize Mars and even travel other solar systems somehow but not in 2050. That's just him being a narcissistic, self-important populist trying to hit the news and play great Inventor-genius.

Our biggest assets are creativity and documentation. These are a guarantee for ultimate progression. We even invented machines doing thinking/ tasks for us by now and seriously, we are still quite underdeveloped regarding our potential as a species.

Last edited:
Dude i'm pretty sure Elon Musk knows about gravity.

But i agree with you, it'll never happen.

I actually think humans will colonize mars but it will be like in year 3000 or something

Our current tech is basically god like to person who lived in early 1900s so who knows what crazy shit humans come up with in future

But first we need sex robots, mars can be focused on after

The big issue will always I'd guess be "does it make economic sense?", is there some kind of resource on Mars which is worth colonising to exploit?

Saturn's moon Titan actually looks like the most likely colony to me, loads of liquid hydrocarbons on the surface(hundreds of times earths oil/gas reserves), lots of water, thick atmosphere to block radiation and it actually has survivable air pressure making environmental suits and habituations much easier/safer as they don't need to deal with a big pressure difference.

Last edited:

You should email him.

He's almost certainly never considered any of the points you've brought up.

Back