Hypothetical Scenario Lightweight Division in 2006

savemgs

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Let's dive into a hypothetical scenario and spice up some MMA discussions. As we all know, the UFC essentially halted its promotion of the 155 lb division after UFC 41, only reviving it at UFC 64 in 2006. But what if we injected three notable athletes who held up the lightweight division outside the UFC during those dormant years?
Imagine Joachim Hansen, Vitor Ribeiro, and Takanori Gomi entering the UFC lightweight scene in 2006. How significantly do you think they would alter the division's hierarchy? While there is a my prevailing belief that BJ Penn would eventually become champion. The inclusion of Hansen, Ribeiro, and Gomi would introduce even more intense competition, shaping the division in unpredictable ways.

BJ beat Gomi, and Ribero beat Hellboy back in the day... A few extra fighters wouldn't gave made a huge difference back then after a couple of months of them fighting eachother. BJ still tops the list.

The better question would be "How would BJ Penn have done in Pride?"... Hard not to see him winning everything. It would have also coincided perfectly with Pride ending, and him transitioning over to UFC, and cleaning up again.

BJ had so few options back in the day that he fought Machida ffs... Then he jumped up to WW and took the belt off Hughes... Pride LWs would have had absolutely nothing for him.

BJ beat Gomi, and Ribero beat Hellboy back in the day... A few extra fighters wouldn't gave made a huge difference back then after a couple of months of them fighting eachother. BJ still tops the list.

The better question would be "How would BJ Penn have done in Pride?"... Hard not to see him winning everything. It would have also coincided perfectly with Pride ending, and him transitioning over to UFC, and cleaning up again.

BJ had so few options back in the day that he fought Machida ffs... Then he jumped up to WW and took the belt off Hughes... Pride LWs would have had absolutely nothing for him.
BJ rematching Gomi in Pride woulda been a helluva thing.

I'll take your PRIDE comment and raise you a WEC.

Just move a couple years forward and put BJ Penn against the top WEC fighters and you have the best entertainment the world ever missed.

Jamie Varner
Cowboy Cerrone
Benson Henderson
Anthony Pettis

Those guys would all have been a coin flip with BJ and one hell of a fight no matter how it went.

All above the talent at pride with the possible exception of Gomi.

I'll take your PRIDE comment and raise you a WEC.

Just move a couple years forward and put BJ Penn against the top WEC fighters and you have the best entertainment the world ever missed.

Jamie Varner
Cowboy Cerrone
Benson Henderson
Anthony Pettis

Those guys would all have been a coin flip with BJ and one hell of a fight no matter how it went.

All above the talent at pride with the possible exception of Gomi.
Excellent suggestion!

Shit, while we're at it, let's throw in Strikeforce - Josh Thompson, Giblert, Clay Guida... Even Aoki, I guess...

Suddenly there are 8-9 massive new names in a division that was struggling.

Gomi... Now there's a question... Fair to say that his domination of Pride LWs would have faltered against that level of opposition at some stage... Cerrone would have been absolutely lethal with soccer kicks, he might be the favourite, along with BJ, who I still think would have ended up on top at that time... Bendo in a ring woukd have been a different story - Pettis would have been electric - imagine his gimme fights.

Hansen would be a top 5>10 kinda guy that could kill the number one guy on any given night.

Last edited:
Pulver vs Gomi was the definition of boxing (in mma).

Immediate eye poke, no ground action, all punches.

Actually was a great fight.

That said, Gomi was probably on the sugar water.

His head was the size of tito

<{Joewithit}>

Penn beats them all and beats Gomi in a rematch. If they kept the LW division who knows if BJ would have messed around in higher divisions like he did. It was a double edge sword doing so because going up and beating Hughes, others and fighting Machina is part of his legacy and a huge reason why he is one of the BMF in MMA. On the other hand I think it worsened his strength and condition. Dude got fat and lazy instead of putting on size the right way. Even though he did come back down to LW I think he would have been more dominant in that division if he stayed there.

Back