Hypothetical Situation (folding knife related)

murdock00

Piss Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I had someone tell me a little while back about an instance where they were in a convenience store standing in line when a robber armed with a gun held the place up. No one was hurt thankfully but it got me wondering.

Let me describe a Hypothetical Situation like this and see what your opinions would be on best course of action.

First off let me be clear: The point of this thread is not to discuss the merits or dangers of attempting to neutralize the threat. This scenario assumes youve decided, for whatever reason, to act decisively.

Now here is the scenario:

1. Gunman is directly in front of you with his back to you, focused on the clerk who is behind the counter. Consider the scenario with the gunman being armed with a long gun and with a pistol separately, and how that would influence your actions.

2. You are armed with a folding knife of your choice. Youve deployed it covertly and now intend to use it.

3. No one else is in the store.

So, what would you do?

My thought so far is this:

Left arm around the neck and lean back while lifting up exposing the neck. Plunge knife into right side of neck(your right) aiming for carotid region and drag across windpipe. Assuming that worked, immediately try to establish gun control while the poor bastard bleeds out.

Heres the problem: You established gun control 2nd, which means while youre ramboing the poor fucker, his gun is unsecured and is likely flying and firing willynilly all over the goddamn place.

Hmm...

Hammerfist shot to the temple?

Should drop them instantly.

Insert blade forcefully just under base of skull from behind. This destroys the medulla oblongata and he will fall instantly.

All I can hear in my head is Sean Connery giving sage advice... :eek:

Who cares...

Just deploy and unload on target

Nothing is going to save you once he turns around and sees the witness to his armed robbery.

Lodge the knife as far as possible in his armpit that holds the gun. In that situation its best not to try to grapple and make a gameplan ending in a rambo like kill. Neutralize the threat or disable it. Im sure you could also sink a RNC on him if you wanted, but would you want to risk anything? Armpit to disable or brainstem stab for expiration. Thats my 2 cents

Insert blade forcefully just under base of skull from behind. This destroys the medulla oblongata and he will fall instantly.

2nd, body can't do its vital functioning without this sucker.

Reach around with the knife and rape his chest with it prison shiv style.

Stab the knife into the side of his neck. Duck slightly and place knee behind his knees and push him backwards with entire arm just below his chest. From here I probably lose all plans and throw any weapon he still has in his possession across the store and proceed to armbar the robber. I probably would stay and act distraught (I might well be, I've never been in this situation) just to add to the likelihood of not getting put in prison.

I agree, I would definitely give him a reach around.

i guess you guys have never heard the saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight"

i guess you guys have never heard the saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight"

lol i guess you never heard "dont rob places with guns when a guy with a knife is behind you"

best plan: wait til he has robbed the place, THEN stab him, and run off with your reward money lol

jk, im just wondering if any of you have been saved by a bank while youre been robbed? must happen a lot, judging by all the people willing to die for their bank

if i saw the guy robbing a bank id just stay out the way, keep my mouth shut, and secretly hope he gets away with it

Well I think attempting to neutralize the threat would be to dangerous and without much merit.

As a reality check...have any of you actually taken any edged weapons classes or counter edged weapons classes?

I have a nice booklet I got from my last one that shows various "switches and timers" that can do different things. We''ll put it this way. I'd rather be shot than attacked with a knife. And I'd rather let him get away than either me or the store clerk be injured/die.

Back