I am interested in becoming an electrician, whats the best route for this?

TheOneAboveAll3

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no training it and I read that you can become one by going to a trade school and taking an apprenticeship or just taking an apprenticeship. I am looking at the apprenticeship since the trade school is likely too expensive for me who has no money at the moment. Are there any videos I can watch to get the basics of it? Any info from electricians would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have no training it and I read that you can become one by going to a trade school and taking an apprenticeship or just taking an apprenticeship. I am looking at the apprenticeship since the trade school is likely too expensive for me who has no money at the moment. Are there any videos I can watch to get the basics of it? Any info from electricians would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
If you live somewhere with an electricians union I’d start there, you’ll get paid to learn and Get all the benefits of the union. if not yes you can become an apprentice under some other company but you probably won’t get insurance or a retirement plan

If you live somewhere with an electricians union I’d start there, you’ll get paid to learn and Get all the benefits of the union. if not yes you can become an apprentice under some other company but you probably won’t get insurance or a retirement plan

Does it matter that you dont have any experience at all? Do you apply for this or do you have to know someone to get in?

Does it matter that you dont have any experience at all? Do you apply for this or do you have to know someone to get in?
Nobody is going to hire someone with no education or job experience. Unless you know someone who works in the business.

That goes for any job that requires a particular set of skills or knowledge.

Tradeschool

electricians are probably the best of the trade opportunities but also, IMO, the least lucrative.

what I mean is that, it’s definitely not the hardest but because of that, you’re going to be undercut by less experienced guys.

I suppose you’re the least experienced guy out there though.

Nobody is going to hire someone with no education or job experience. Unless you know someone who works in the business.

That goes for any job that requires a particular set of skills or knowledge.
No it doesn’t , you have to apply, knowing someone doesn’t hurt

see what your local IBEW is and talk to them
Is what Wreckless saying true? I have no experience in this but would like to learn and I heard you can learn on the job. Do you need to know at least something before applying?

being an electrician requires some math skills I know a few people who flunked out there are actually easier trades out there to go to school for. it isn't something you can half ass on youtube because it is also a job that will get you killed because they send you places that have some ridiculous voltage.

Is what Wreckless saying true? I have no experience in this but would like to learn and I heard you can learn on the job. Do you need to know at least something before applying?
If you're a handy person and have work experience in that kind of environment you might find something.

But you'd have to be extremely lucky to find a company willing to hire someone with 0 experience. The only way would be applying for a different job in the company, something lower level that doesn't require any particular skills and you tell them about your interest in becoming electriction.

How much does trade school cost? It can't be that expensive. Maybe you could apply for a student loan?

being an electrician requires some math skills I know a few people who flunked out there are actually easier trades out there to go to school for. it isn't something you can half ass on youtube because it is also a job that will get you killed because they send you places that have some ridiculous voltage.

YEah fuck that id rather do carpentry

Get in touch with the IBEW local thats closest to you. If you can't jump right into the apprenticeship you may be able to start as a "helper" or laborer. Once in the apprenticeship you get paid to work and go to school a few nights a month. Raises are every 6 months if you complete the mandatory amount of working and school hours. I'm not sure how it is now but the local here had you change companies each year for the 5 years of apprenticeship. I was in the IBEW local 26 for ten years....12 years ago I changed professions and locals but still IBEW.

How old are you? Go to school to be an Electrical lineman. Apparently they can make bank. But it’s also pretty dangerous.

Back