I biked with a bird today

AngryWeasel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
While coming back from a swim in the river by bike I noticed I passed a sparrow on the middle on the road that didn't fly away. I stopped to check what the fuck was it doing, got close andite was just standing immobile in the sun, beak wide open. I touch it, it doesn't move; so I pick it up telling myself that it must be overheating and will soon be cooked or mashed by a car.

As I go to place it away from the road somewhere shadowy I'm thinking "well it may still die like a sack of shit here. I'm not gonna do door to door to ask for a safe place and water for a fucking sparrow" ... So I decide to take it with me and put it on the basket I have on the handlebar, all comfy on my beach towel, so that he gets refreshed by the wind and the shadowy woods I have to bike through. Worst case scenario I bring it home and give it water there.

At first it was still immobile and puked something on the towel but as the ride went on it moved more and more and ended up moving at the top front of the basket, taking all the fresh air in. So I had a live sparrow figurehead on my bike for 15-20 minutes, wich was fucking awesome.

Then he took off flying in a tree. Bird refreshed, mission accomplished ! <Moves>

I'm pretty sure I just scored one karma point

Lol, I sat down outside a shop a few weeks ago and got joined by several robins flapping around.

Then one landed and stayed on my knee. Was cool.

Not as good as your poor sparrow that has just been taken several miles away from his missus and now has to fly back though..

I went to get food with my co worker the other day and after I spilled our milkshake all over the table a bird came up out of the bush and I fed him an onion ring. He was a friendly bird who you can hand feed

While coming back from a swim in the river by bike I noticed I passed a sparrow on the middle on the road that didn't fly away. I stopped to check what the fuck was it doing, got close andite was just standing immobile in the sun, beak wide open. I touch it, it doesn't move; so I pick it up telling myself that it must be overheating and will soon be cooked or mashed by a car.

As I go to place it away from the road somewhere shadowy I'm thinking "well it may still die like a sack of shit here. I'm not gonna do door to door to ask for a safe place and water for a fucking sparrow" ... So I decide to take it with me and put it on the basket I have on the handlebar, all comfy on my beach towel, so that he gets refreshed by the wind and the shadowy woods I have to bike through. Worst case scenario I bring it home and give it water there.

At first it was still immobile and puked something on the towel but as the ride went on it moved more and more and ended up moving at the top front of the basket, taking all the fresh air in. So I had a live sparrow figurehead on my bike for 15-20 minutes, wich was fucking awesome.

I had a vaguely similar experience with a field mouse.

Except he had a crooked leg, so my wife insisted we keep it.

Lol, I sat down outside a shop a few weeks ago and got joined by several robins flapping around.

Then one landed and stayed on my knee. Was cool.

Not as good as your poor sparrow that has just been taken several miles away from his missus and now has to fly back though..

Lol I thought about that too. But hey, maybe it's time for him to think about moving, he wasn't doing so great in his last neighborhood. The forest calls him !

Lol I thought about that too. But hey, maybe it's time for him to think about moving, he wasn't doing so great in his last neighborhood. The forest calls him !

Just wait til he gets home....

Well this one was in the middle of the road, mouth wide open, not reacting to humans and cars ... So that was some strange sunbathing
It is weird but what they do.
TUTI_sunbathing_20210623_DSC_0702_bobdonnan.jpg

When birds soak up the sun's rays, they enter a trance-like state. They tilt their heads to the side, fluff their feathers, and stare into nothingness.

It is weird but what they do.
TUTI_sunbathing_20210623_DSC_0702_bobdonnan.jpg

When birds soak up the sun's rays, they enter a trance-like state. They tilt their heads to the side, fluff their feathers, and stare into nothingness.

Cool bird behavior that I didn't know about.

This one looked around and wasn't all spread with fluffed feathers. It was just upright and kinda "stuck". It also ended up throwing something up, wich at least also happens in mammals overheating (did it as a child).
So I don't think that what it was doing. But if that was the case, the little buddy should chose better spots for it's "alone in the sun" moments

Cool bird behavior that I didn't know about.

This one looked around and wasn't all spread with fluffed feathers. It was just upright and kinda "stuck". It also ended up throwing something up, wich at least also happens in mammals overheating (did it as a child).
So I don't think that what it was doing. But if that was the case, the little buddy should chose better spots for it's "alone in the sun" moments
I’m not saying that’s what it was. Had a Robin out back the other day just laying on its side mouth open. Your thread made me look into it a little further. I didn’t know that til today myself.
Maybe it was drunk from eating fermented berries

I’m not saying that’s what it was. Had a Robin out back the other day just laying on its side mouth open. Your thread made me look into it a little further. I didn’t know that til today myself.
Maybe it was drunk from eating fermented berries

Well it indeed puked so maybe the first comment was right :D

Must have been it's craziest day drinking

Then he took off flying in a tree. Bird refreshed, mission accomplished ! <Moves>

did you guys have teh sexx??

Thats awesome and you're clearly a good guy for doing that. Why do you have a basket on your handlebars? You a little rascal or just a little gay?

Love biking, its always an awesome day. I'd be pretty pumped if I got to casually save a bird while having a great day out in the sun. I love the feeling of getting over the crest of a big hill and then cruising full speed down the other side breathing hard but basically resting for a minute.

Awesome day and cool story, happy it happened to your sherbro!

wisers-slow-clap.gif

Last edited:

You are are the bird whisperer sir.
Well done, and much love from all of us to all of you brother.

You did a solid thing here.

This is what it means to be open and available to life. When you see another life not doing well, at least there is some concern, even if you cannot do something about it. You, of course could do something about and so you did. If you are open like this with everything, life is more beautiful.

Back