I didn't really like Rory MacDonald...

szJack

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
... but that was really impressive performance!
Was that jab awesome or what?
BqJWC4cCQAAqfEp.jpg

I really liked the distance control with front kicks, too. I noticed he's really front-foot heavy, what was the reason (I think) he ate some lowkicks.
Can't wait for analysis to show up.
Any thoughts? Woodley - first two rounds showed nothing, back against the cage the whole time.

Very impressed with how he backed Woodley up and just stayed him, also a big fan of Rory's body shots I feel like he mixes them in well. I do think Woodley should have continued leg kicking though and that that leg was prime for the taking.

Hope he gets Hendricks next would be a good fight.

That jab was a thing of beauty, you can definitely see the influence of Firas as a trainer in it. I was impressed too how confident he was to continue kicking to the body and didn't get taken down (that I can remember) for it

I was more unimpressed by Woodley. He did basically nothing the whole fight. He was able to completely stop Rory's jab by playing patty-cake with his right hand but despite that he backed up every time Rory feinted it until he was stuck against the cage. Once there, he essentially refused to throw back or try to get away. He just kept stifling the jab looking to block and counter Rory's right hand (same thing he did to kos), but Rory was smart enough not throw it with enough commitment when Woodley expected it.

It took him way too long, but Rory eventually adapted by hitting the body with his body jab and right straight, coming over the right hand with his left hook and attacking that side with switch kicks. The weird thing about the fight was nothing was hurting Woodley, but he kept stumbling with his feet bumping into the cage making himself look much worse than he actually was. A lot was missing or wasn't landing clean, but his reactions looked flinchy and not good in the eyes of the judges.

It was a dominant win for Rory but I can't figure out Woodley's performance. Even when the leg kicks landed well, he abandoned them quickly. His defense was less versatile than Rory's offense, and he didn't seem too worried about getting off the cage or trying to hit Rory back. He looked like he might start taking some control when he starting jabbing back, but he quit that quickly. Rory put on a solid performance but Woodley looked unprepared physically, technically and strategically.

Also this:

TCfIvsX.png

You can see this "cross armed guard"-like defence few times when woodley changed levels. Any insights on that?
Was that designed to counter td/overhand of Woodley's or am I overthinking this?:D

I was more unimpressed by Woodley. He did basically nothing the whole fight. He was able to completely stop Rory's jab by playing patty-cake with his right hand but despite that he backed up every time Rory feinted it until he was stuck against the cage. Once there, he essentially refused to throw back or try to get away. He just kept stifling the jab looking to block and counter Rory's right hand (same thing he did to kos), but Rory was smart enough not throw it with enough commitment when Woodley expected it.

It took him way too long, but Rory eventually adapted by hitting the body with his body jab and right straight, coming over the right hand with his left hook and attacking that side with switch kicks. The weird thing about the fight was nothing was hurting Woodley, but he kept stumbling with his feet bumping into the cage making himself look much worse than he actually was. A lot was missing or wasn't landing clean, but his reactions looked flinchy and not good in the eyes of the judges.

It was a dominant win for Rory but I can't figure out Woodley's performance. Even when the leg kicks landed well, he abandoned them quickly. His defense was less versatile than Rory's offense, and he didn't seem too worried about getting off the cage or trying to hit Rory back. He looked like he might start taking some control when he starting jabbing back, but he quit that quickly. Rory put on a solid performance but Woodley looked unprepared physically, technically and strategically.

I think woodley only essentially strikes in spots..I.e. fights in spots; he usually has huge explosions of offense...td..ground/ and essentially wins fights like that. He never has really looked good in extended fights..against marquardt he gassed..got beat up and stopped..against Daley he gassed..missed alot of tds and grinder out a win..against shields he got outworked..out pointed.

He strikes BIG ...counters BIG...takedowns BIG...nothing really subtle or slick or tricky in his stand-up or wrestling or grappling. If he can't see a opp for big clean shots he wont throw...he doesn't do good with finding or creating openings; if you play a disciplined cautious game u essentially make him holster his offense.

Guys like hieron kos conditions aren't def types each is easy to hit..Rory isnt slick but he isnt easy to hit because he is disciplined cautious and sharp..he doesn't open up until he has a good bead on his opp..and he controls things with his jab.

This fight was essentially lil nog v rashad...watch both fights again and you will notice alot of similarities...

T wood and Evans are both good fighters who build alot of their success off of their athleticism; both have good tech...but their whole gameplan is built around their ability to end fights or take huge leads and hold on.

When either can't do that...they lose..

People underestimate how much it impacts you when you can't land the way you want..either cuz u can't get in range or cause you can't find the openings.. YOu essentially cut your offensive productivity in half if not worse; so even if said guy isnt hurting u, they are controlling you and being more efficient and busier.

Its essentially what happened last night...t wood is a big play guy..in football he would throw bombs..in basketball fly to he basketball and dunk..but he has limited ability to make the small or medium plays that set up big plays.

People underestimate how much it impacts you when you can't land the way you want..either cuz u can't get in range or cause you can't find the openings.. YOu essentially cut your offensive productivity in half if not worse; so even if said guy isnt hurting u, they are controlling you and being more efficient and busier.

Its essentially what happened last night...t wood is a big play guy..in football he would throw bombs..in basketball fly to he basketball and dunk..but he has limited ability to make the small or medium plays that set up big plays.

This. Woodley got bamboozled. He didn't know what to do and just shut down. It happens when you get outclassed and your brain just shuts down. That's where a really good corner becomes vital but if you don't have the tools or experience to change things up and counter your opponents game you end up looking like this. Rory had too much variety, too good timing and too good range control for Woodley.

That's a good point. He did miss a lot of big shots and get stuffed a couple times at the beginning of the round. Even still, it isn't like Rory's jab actually gave him trouble until he was already forced back to the cage. It really looked like Woodley went in there intent on countering, but had no adaptability in his defense when Rory wouldn't throw what he wanted him to. And then even when he had some success offensively, he gave up on it. He looked mentally lost.

And it isn't like Rory is actually that difficult to catch. If you put pressure on him while taking away his jab, he tends to make mistakes. Woodley took away his jab, but then let Rory pressure him anyway. He literally gets backed against the cage in the first 10 seconds before Rory has thrown anything. I do agree that he is only a big plays guy, and more than that he's a one handed fighter. I suspected that would be an issue for him going in, but man it was way worse than I thought.

I think the real lesson is that as always, Rory wins by picking apart the critical flaw in his opponent's standup. All of his wins he's done great taking a weakness of his opponent and exploiting it ruthlessly. Out wrestling Mills, shutting down Penn's jab and hitting him to the body, out jabbing Ellenberger and not getting drawn in for a counter, hurting Lawler with body shots when he couldn't find the head (even though he lost that fight), standing halfway sprawling already to stuff Maia easily, neutralizing Woodley's right hand and double leg to put him a step behind mentally, it's always the same idea. If you have a hole in your game, Rory is going after it with discipline and determination. He deserves praise for that even if I don't like him as a fighter.

I like Rory he makes guys think..even when he isnt beating guys up he takes them out of their comfort zone by not allowing them to or making them work to get the best weapon going; most mma fighters don't develop layers to their game. They have one or two weapons and if they can't get those things going then their whole game suffers...with koscheck it was the big right hand...with Phil Davis its the takedown...

When they have to work to make those things effective their whole game falls apart...Rory may be basic but he has layers to his game..that allow him to dictate with his jab... Woodley and guys like him don't have layers..you get pass the first line and he has nothing else; defensively he is basic offensively he is basic, his athletic ability covers that..his explosiveness. But he doesn't have the cardio to consistently attack like that...he either stops u or slows down to a grind.

Rory may not take chances..and he may be basic..but he takes strategy...technique.. situational awareness into consideration ; he doesn't give you wins ..you have to take the win and you can't do that if your stand-up..wrestling...grappling..mma game isnt layered. Most guys are not layered which makes them easy to pick apart..

Rory plays a good mental disciplined consistent game...and I am a fan of guys which can and will do that..there aren't many Rory gsp Jones Johnson dillashaw machida to name a few.

I like Rory he makes guys think..even when he isnt beating guys up he takes them out of their comfort zone by not allowing them to or making them work to get the best weapon going; most mma fighters don't develop layers to their game. They have one or two weapons and if they can't get those things going then their whole game suffers...with koscheck it was the big right hand...with Phil Davis its the takedown...

When they have to work to make those things effective their whole game falls apart...Rory may be basic but he has layers to his game..that allow him to dictate with his jab... Woodley and guys like him don't have layers..you get pass the first line and he has nothing else; defensively he is basic offensively he is basic, his athletic ability covers that..his explosiveness. But he doesn't have the cardio to consistently attack like that...he either stops u or slows down to a grind.

Rory may not take chances..and he may be basic..but he takes strategy...technique.. situational awareness into consideration ; he doesn't give you wins ..you have to take the win and you can't do that if your stand-up..wrestling...grappling..mma game isnt layered. Most guys are not layered which makes them easy to pick apart..

Rory plays a good mental disciplined consistent game...and I am a fan of guys which can and will do that..there aren't many Rory gsp Jones Johnson dillashaw machida to name a few.

Yea what I was trying to say about Rory is he isn't a great striker, a great wrestler or a great jits guy. There are at least 2-3 guys way better than him at each of those things in the division. He's very basic, but he's so disciplined that he can apply his skills against other limited fighters and beat them convincingly. If you can't wrestle, he'll smash your head into the mat. If you can't get past a jab, he'll stick you with it all night. If you can't defend combinations, he'll start putting shots together and get past your defense. You can't just do the same old shit against him, he'll figure it out and make you pay for it. He's competent everywhere so if you're not then you're screwed. I think that's actually gonna be a problem that will keep him from ever winning a title, but it makes him one of those guys who is always gonna be a tough fight.

I think his combinations when he had TWood on the cage seriously lacked some body punches and hooks... He basically just threw a barrage of straight punches ending with the odd uppercut. That straight right to the body is nice, but he could have gone full Nick Diaz on him and would have probably finished the fight...

Seems like Rory's stance was a lot less bladed and his front foot wasn't as internally rotated. What say you, F11: was this due to his opponent, or did he change it up after his ineffectiveness with Lawler?

Yea what I was trying to say about Rory is he isn't a great striker, a great wrestler or a great jits guy. There are at least 2-3 guys way better than him at each of those things in the division. He's very basic, but he's so disciplined that he can apply his skills against other limited fighters and beat them convincingly. If you can't wrestle, he'll smash your head into the mat. If you can't get past a jab, he'll stick you with it all night. If you can't defend combinations, he'll start putting shots together and get past your defense. You can't just do the same old shit against him, he'll figure it out and make you pay for it. He's competent everywhere so if you're not then you're screwed. I think that's actually gonna be a problem that will keep him from ever winning a title, but it makes him one of those guys who is always gonna be a tough fight.

I think he is a great striker, better than Hendricks, Condit, and even Lawler. His problem is that he doesn't have power and unending durability so tough guys like Hendricks and Lawler have a way to beat him. His strategy is to take as little damage as possible so anybody with enough durability, power, and the capability to close the distance can take his shots and keep moving forward and land bombs. He is also not light years better than Lawler and Hendricks that he can shut either down for three or five rounds.

Having said that, he's so long and he uses it so well that closing with him is the biggest problem.

EDIT: I was not a fan of Mcdonald before this fight. Thought he was boring, socially awkward, and didn't really have anything special and wondered why people were considering him #2. I also thought Woodley would be a much bigger challenge than he showed. He showed up last night for sure.

I think the best thing for Rory would be to jump teams and go to AKA or ATT. He's gained a lot of technical ability at tristar, but has almost completely lost his "fire". Rory with his new found jab/body work + his old tenacity? That'd be hell for his opponents.

Had he sat down on power shots to the body, or even the head, he'd have gotten Woodley out of there. But he just couldn't put his foot on the pedal. He tried to once in a while, but never really committed to it.

I'm not a fan by any means but Rory has some of the best kicks to the body. He sets them up really well.

Rory' jab was definitely there and it sure backed up Woodley (who hadn't seen much of a steady jab thus far). Still, Rory gets heavy on his front foot and sticks his chin out (also dropping his right). Just a matter of time before that gets exploited.

Great post. Agree 100%. Still a fan of Woodley though, a cerebral fighter like Rory is a bad match up for him.

I think he is a great striker, better than Hendricks, Condit, and even Lawler. His problem is that he doesn't have power and unending durability so tough guys like Hendricks and Lawler have a way to beat him. His strategy is to take as little damage as possible so anybody with enough durability, power, and the capability to close the distance can take his shots and keep moving forward and land bombs. He is also not light years better than Lawler and Hendricks that he can shut either down for three or five rounds.

Having said that, he's so long and he uses it so well that closing with him is the biggest problem.

EDIT: I was not a fan of Mcdonald before this fight. Thought he was boring, socially awkward, and didn't really have anything special and wondered why people were considering him #2. I also thought Woodley would be a much bigger challenge than he showed. He showed up last night for sure.

He is leagues better than Lawler as far as textbook fundamentals, Lawler is sloppy as hell, but he makes up for it with a great chin and power. One of my favorite fighters to watch. I nearly shit my pants when he folded up Manhoef, totally didn't see that one coming the way the fight was going.

He is leagues better than Lawler as far as textbook fundamentals, Lawler is sloppy as hell, but he makes up for it with a great chin and power. One of my favorite fighters to watch. I nearly shit my pants when he folded up Manhoef, totally didn't see that one coming the way the fight was going.

I don't see how you could say this. Robbie has very sound technique. He's an extremely accurate puncher, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back