I don't understand Ngannou beef with the UFC

I absolutely didn’t get two points about the Francis disagreements with the UFC.

1) the health insurance - top notch international health insurance is around $500 monthly, $800 if you declare to partake in dangerous sports or professions … so that’s around $10k per year … basically all UFC fighters except the newest recruits can afford it (and should definitely invest in a good cover), most definitely Francis can pay his annual $10k without needing to argue with the UFC about it

2) the advocate in meetings - why would a negotiating party provide an advocate for the other … and if they did you should immediately reject it, because he/she will work in the best interest of the company that engaged him/her, not for you … it’s just some totally illogical “amateur hour” idea; your manager should be your advocate or provide you with one!

They are either very poor excuses to make the real reason (the imaginary huge boxing payout he hopes to get) seem more virtuous, or they are really idiotic ideas that highlight why most athletes should have a professional manager and not think that they are also sharp businesses people.

He will literally never get the $30 million payday he is looking for and will be probably be remembered for being the simultaneous Bellator and BKFC champion five years from now.
30 million seems to much at this point, but he still gonna make good money. One boxing match>2-3 fights in the UFC. Francis’s not dumb. He knows what he’s doing.

30 million seems to much at this point, but he still gonna make good money. One boxing match>2-3 fights in the UFC. Francis’s not dumb. He knows what he’s doing.

Between the surgery, negotiations, mythological boxing opportunities … soon it will be 2y of inactivity, rapidly shrinking leverage (there will be a new UFC HW champion and his marketability will inevitably shrink), approaching 40yo, not very able to self promote and without a management team, boxing being the mess that it is … I wish Francis the absolute best but to me it seems more and more likely that he made a - possibly big - mistake.

I absolutely didn’t get two points about the Francis disagreements with the UFC.

1) the health insurance - top notch international health insurance is around $500 monthly, $800 if you declare to partake in dangerous sports or professions … so that’s around $10k per year … basically all UFC fighters except the newest recruits can afford it (and should definitely invest in a good cover), most definitely Francis can pay his annual $10k without needing to argue with the UFC about it.
10k a year just in health insurance? After paying taxes, coaches, manager. In a business where your career will last 10 years and the income is very unpredictable. Especially if you are injured, you're likely to only have one fight in the year.

No it's not reasonnable.

10k a year just in health insurance? After paying taxes, coaches, manager. In a business where your career will last 10 years and the income is very unpredictable. Especially if you are injured, you're likely to only have one fight in the year.

No it's not reasonnable.

That is the absolutely highest estimate from the best most comprehensive international insurers and with the provision of a dangerous profession. You can get a more “normal” cover for half that or less.

All UFC fighters taking home 6 figures net annually, so basically anyone over 70-80k per fight and 2-3 fights per year, can and should spend 5% of their income on health insurance and are irresponsible if they don’t. Definitely a multimillionaire like Francis can do so without any need to have it covered by the UFC. We see plenty of - for example - Perry level fighters who spend 5 figures on fancy watches or cringe LV bags but whine about the lack of health insurance. It’s on them, not the UFC. I choose and pay my own health insurance, I don’t complain to my contractors and clients because they don’t provide it for me: they indirectly do, by paying me.

I heard Ngannou was looking to fight in Japan where the competition is a little bit easier.

Just because you come from poverty doesn’t mean you should accept any pay above what you were paid before. Although I think Ngannou is crazy thinking he will earn much more elsewhere, I’m glad that more fighters take a stance against the UFC.

8 million per fight is a huge amount of money. crazy not to take it, the boxing guarantees are very unpredictable, very risky, its very hard to make that money in boxing, less than 1% do, and the problem is Tyson Fury is the most unpredictable guy ever, he changes his mind every other minute.. He could retire for real tomorrow, because thats how he is, he changes his mind constantly.. nothing is guaranteed with him, there is a huge chance him and Ngannou never fight.

I can possibly understand more if a fight with Tyson is 100% set in stone, but its not, and Tyson has other fights lined up, and like I said he is such an unpredictable guy that changes his mind and opinion every few seconds.
Lol at believing any of Tysons Fury’s claims that he’s retiring - he’s a gypsy and they’re a cunning people. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

Between the surgery, negotiations, mythological boxing opportunities … soon it will be 2y of inactivity, rapidly shrinking leverage (there will be a new UFC HW champion and his marketability will inevitably shrink), approaching 40yo, not very able to self promote and without a management team, boxing being the mess that it is … I wish Francis the absolute best but to me it seems more and more likely that he made a - possibly big - mistake.
If wilder fights Ruiz and Tyson fight usyk what does he do? Sit around for another 9 month’s minimum

1) the health insurance - top notch international health insurance is around $500 monthly, $800 if you declare to partake in dangerous sports or professions … so that’s around $10k per year … basically all UFC fighters except the newest recruits can afford it (and should definitely invest in a good cover), most definitely Francis can pay his annual $10k without needing to argue with the UFC about it
The UFC has much deeper pockets than Francis, they can easily afford it much more than he ever could. I don't know why you would suggest the fighter pays it before the UFC does, do you get a cut of their profits or something?

The UFC has much deeper pockets than Francis, they can easily afford it much more than he ever could. I don't know why you would suggest the fighter pays it before the UFC does, do you get a cut of their profits or something?

If we go by the fact that the fighters are independent contractors - which for now legally they are - it’s their responsibility to have health insurance or whatever else they need. I, like all independent contractors in all kinds of sectors, take care of my insurance and other such needs, I don’t expect the companies paying for my services to do so for me.

The contractors argument is a different one and much more complex, but until they are I don’t get the idea that their personal insurance must be the UFC responsibility. Would it be ethically nice? Sure. But business is seldom ethically nice. Should the UFC pay also for their camps? How about their food, an athlete must eat well right? No … the UFC pays a fee (purse) for your service (fight) and then you spend it how you need … camp, food, insurance, rent, car, etc.

If we go by the fact that the fighters are independent contractors - which for now legally they are - it’s their responsibility to have health insurance or whatever else they need. I, like all independent contractors in all kinds of sectors, take care of my insurance and other such needs, I don’t expect the companies paying for my services to do so for me.

The contractors argument is a different one and much more complex, but until they are I don’t get the idea that their personal insurance must be the UFC responsibility. Would it be ethically nice? Sure. But business is seldom ethically nice. Should the UFC pay also for their camps? How about their food, an athlete must eat well right? No … the UFC pays a fee (purse) for your service (fight) and then you spend it how you need … camp, food, insurance, rent, car, etc.
They aren't independent contractors, that's a different conversation though. Are you a sportsman in a combat sport? If the answer is no then I don't think it's fair comparison. There should be different rules for them versus whatever job you do. If we draw a direct sporting comparison though, which other billion dollar sports organisation doesn't pay for healthcare? Do you know one? I don't, and I don't know any other multi-billion dollar sports org that retains such a high percentage of their revenue. Which is why I questioned why you would suggest the fighter who came from nothing pay for something that the billion dollar corporate giants could and should be paying. I find it weird how we have fans register to post on here but seemingly don't care about the fighters at all, but seem to be really happy the UFC makes as much profit as possible?

No, the UFC shouldn't pay for camps or food. That's crazy talk, no idea why you've said that, you've lost me there.

Biggest contract a hw ever,zero sense,probably knees gone and got stiffend in sparring

I think there's an element of culture clash to it. They're speaking completely different languages. Francis comes in all earnest and wants actual respect and and a mutually beneficial relationship and Dana is like "are you shitting me?"

I mean Ngannou came from one of the poorest place in the world

Working in digging sand mine as a kid

Came to France, then USA, became a fighter, win a lot of money

But still asking 30 m a fight to the ufc ? then leave because not payed enough?

I mean, i agree to say that the ufc might not pay most of their fighter enough

but champ at the top of the food chain are quite payed well, can win million per fight, is that not enough for a guy who worked in a sand mine few years ago?

with the hype and run he made he could easily win 1 to 5 milions per fight signing a new contract, is that not enough? honestly?

I think he became crazy about money, completely disconnected, i could understand if it came from an american fighter, but from a guy who worked in a sand mine ten years ago? really?

Discuss

So behl happy with the table scraps we give you argument.

I remember when they used to tell slaves that back then too. Be happy we don't kill you , but allow you to live as slaves.

Back