Social I encountered my first IRL they/them.

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0zvu4B5.png

TLDR: Met my first 2 "enbys". Employee corrects us for using wrong pronouns. I then encountered another non-binary the next day.

We took the kiddos to the mall yesterday at Build-a-Bear®, they have this great special where the bears are super cheap on your birth month. In any case, when I arrived the employee's back was facing me as they were assisting some customers. I saw long pink hair that went to all the way to their back (I couldn't find a more accurate picture), I would have assumed it was a lady but the legs were very hairy. I know some women like lesbians and feminists like to grow their body hair to make a statement so I was still a bit confused.

When the employee turned around, it turned out the person was a biological male. When we were finally being helped, my wife used the pronouns "him," like "give him the bear now." Oddly enough, I wanted to ask the employee their pronouns. It's not something I've ever done before, maybe it was the nail polish, but something... something told me this person may not like being called "he". Ya know? Ya know.

My wife said it again "give him the bear." I wanted to ask her: "Did you ask their pronouns?" But 1) That's so not something I'd say and would've felt so fuckin' weird, Lol. 2) If you said that about the average person (someone non-binary), they'd probably look at you weird or possibly even get offended.

After a few seconds, the employee said

"And just by the way, I go by they/them," in an assertive, but not rude manner.

"No problem," my wife said after a slight awkward silence of processing.

It wasn't until afterwards I noticed their tag had their name and pronouns at the bottom of it. This seems to be becoming standard issue at many jobs.

We paid for the items, I may have even said "give them the teddy bear" to my kid at some point, but that was that.

I planned on posting this, then I had another encounter a few hours ago.

I went to a library to drop off some flyers. At the reference desk was an employee (female-born, I'm being P.C.). Our interaction was short. I spoke to the employee about something, they were polite, then I left. However, I saw the employee was sporting a lanyard with "THEY/THEM" printed prominently on it.

Isn't it odd how once you see something once you begin seeing it everywhere all of a sudden?

Prior to these two encounters, I've only really seen it on social media and e-mail bios.

Now my opinion: I actually applaud the idea of having the pronouns displayed somewhere... if it is not readily apparent that is, I don't need to see a manly lumberjack with he/him on a name-tag. This allows people to know your pronouns without falsely assuming and getting upset. 99% of the time someone looks like a man they go by male pronouns and 99% of the time someone looks like a woman they go by female pronouns.

I'll also keep it real. I don't believe in all of these pronoun things or trying to normalize defining your pronouns for the reasons I listed above. I also don't really believe in the whole non-binary thing, however it costed me nothing to adhere to someone's prefer gender. I always thought "No way in hell am I calling a singular person a plural pronoun" and of course I could have an interaction without using any pronouns at all. However, there is no need to upset someone, hurt their feelings, or potentially start a fight. You want to go by a fake or preferred name, I'd do that. Wanna go by the opposite gender, I'll do that too. No big deal!

You need to get out more.

I go out plenty. Not having frequent interactions with <1% of the population is not a good metric to use.

Come to think of it, I've had many students who identify as they/them or non-binary, I guess this is my first encounter with adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of our customers at work are large National corporations, and I’ve been seeing peoples preferred pronouns pretty regularly in customers email signatures. More recently I’ve been on some zoom and teams calls where they want to give everyone their preferred pronouns before the call starts. I feel like it’s more so large corporations that are driving most of this.

0zvu4B5.png

TLDR: Met my first 2 "enbys". Employee corrects us for using wrong pronouns. I then encountered another non-binary the next day.

We took the kiddos to the mall yesterday at Build-a-Bear®, they have this great special where the bears are super cheap on your birth month. In any case, when I arrived the employee's back was facing me as they were assisting some customers. I saw long pink hair that went to all the way to their back (I couldn't find a more accurate picture), I would have assumed it was a lady but the legs were very hairy. I know some women like lesbians and feminists like to grow their body hair to make a statement so I was still a bit confused.

When the employee turned around, it turned out the person was a biological male. When we were finally being helped, my wife used the pronouns "him," like "give him the bear now." Oddly enough, I wanted to ask the employee their pronouns. It's not something I've ever done before, maybe it was the nail polish, but something... something told me this person may not like being called "he". Ya know? Ya know.

My wife said it again "give him the bear." I wanted to ask her: "Did you ask their pronouns?" But 1) That's so not something I'd say and would've felt so fuckin' weird, Lol. 2) If you said that about the average person (someone non-binary), they'd probably look at you weird or possibly even get offended.

It wasn't until afterwards I noticed their tag had their name and pronouns at the bottom of it. This seems to be becoming standard issue at many jobs.

We paid for the items, I may have even said "give them the teddy bear" to my kid at some point, but that was that.

I went to a library to drop off some flyers. At the reference desk was an employee (female-born, I'm being P.C.). Our interaction was short. I spoke to the employee about something, they were polite, then I left. However, I saw the employee was sporting a lanyard with "THEY/THEM" printed prominently on it.

Isn't it odd how once you see something once you begin seeing it everywhere all of a sudden?

Prior to these two encounters, I've only really seen it on social media and e-mail bios.

Now my opinion: I actually applaud the idea of having the pronouns displayed somewhere... if it is not readily apparent that is, I don't need to see a manly lumberjack with he/him on a name-tag. This allows people to know your pronouns without falsely assuming and getting upset. 99% of the time someone looks like a man they go by male pronouns and 99% of the time someone looks like a woman they go by female pronouns.

I'll also keep it real. I don't believe in all of these pronoun things or trying to normalize defining your pronouns for the reasons I listed above. I also don't really believe in the whole non-binary thing, however it costed me nothing to adhere to someone's prefer gender. I always thought "No way in hell am I calling a singular person a plural pronoun" and of course I could have an interaction without using any pronouns at all. However, there is no need to upset someone, hurt their feelings, or potentially start a fight. You want to go by a fake or preferred name, I'd do that. Wanna go by the opposite gender, I'll do that too. No big deal!

I have the solution :

Let's all switch to speaking Estonian since it doesn't have gender pronouns.

Most of our customers at work are large National corporations, and I’ve been seeing peoples preferred pronouns pretty regularly in customers email signatures. More recently I’ve been on some zoom and teams calls where they want to give everyone their preferred pronouns before the call starts. I feel like it’s more so large corporations that are driving most of this.

I think so too. As long as it isn't mandated, I don't mind. I'd feel like a fuckin' dunce sitting on a Zoom chat with a penis talkin' bout: "I'm Alphaboy and my pronouns are he/him/his!"

I could get service jobs doing it too. Like if you're a non-binary server or cashier, you don't want people calling you "sir" or "ma'am" by mistake.

One of my oldest pals is non-binary. Caused a big row (after asking that we practice using the correct pronouns) amongst our little group of friends that's been together for 30-odd years.

In England, if we're noting these things.

0zvu4B5.png

This.

It's a rare thing and people act like it's the hugest inconvienance in the world. I support the trans and all that but I don't understand the "they" though. Are they both a man and a woman I'ma confused.

Good on you for not necessarily believing in something but still treating someone with respect who does.

It’s amazing how easy it is to not be a shit person.
I joke about this stuff online, but always respect everyone irl. Their sexual orientation, religion, what they identify as, their political beliefs etc shouldnt matter. Just treat everyone the same way you want to be treated.

It amazes me to see so many people act like their parents didnt raise em correctly.

Back