I feel bad, man

Five years a go I had previously trained in bjj for seven months and Judo for one year. Last year I started to train in Judo again and this February I decided to start training BJJ as well. I am currently a white belt in BJJ but what I can do is probably above white belt level. Since I started training again I have been able to tap blue belts occasionally but bothing crazy maybe a collar choke or armbar. Lately, most recently, I tapped a purple belt for the first time and later a brown belt and now I tapped a black belt. Now I feel bad and not great for what I havee been able to do for I feel others underestimate me as they see me as a noob. Maybe I should be joyful but I feel bad for others who have trained longer and earned their ranking in the sport.
Keyboard warrior black belt?

Wait are you related to the guy who makes that killer cole slaw?

I recently got tapped by a blue belt. I paced him let him ramp up then gassed. 25yrs younger than me in the infantry. First time I rolled with him. Time ran out so no time for retribution. Next time, smash and tap him, and throw him. I played to relaxed then it was too late.

I'm a blue belt, young (23) and physically fit. Do I catch purple belts and brown belts? Sometimes, especially if I'm giving it my all and use something I am particularly comfortable with. Do I believe I am farther along in my journey than them? Hell no! Find an athletic 3-4 stripe whitebelt and roll with them to the death. Then, watch the purple, brown, or black belt deal with them.

You'll see pretty soon that hitting a sweep or submission, versus your actual bjj knowledge, is two very different things.

i'm a brown belt and i take it easy on new guys. smashing someone to shit isn't going to improve their game, nor will it improve the chances of them staying with it.

i also never tap anyone more than twice in an 8 minute round. if i catch them early, i'll let them work for the rest of the round. when you don't block everything they do, sometimes they do it 100% correctly and they catch you in something they normally wouldn't. so you tap, it's not a big deal. i don't mind if some blue belt thinks he's hot shit for tapping me. i've been doing this for over 10 years, i don't keep score with any of my training partners anymore. i would think the blue belt was a twerp if he started a thread about it here, but whatever.

i don't understand how people can just chain submissions on some poor sod who is obviously completely bewildered after being tapped for the 5th time in 3 minutes. when you do that to someone, they stop thinking, they stop trying anything, they even stop defending. they turn into a grappling dummy, and that benefits no one.

that said, i also have a rule where i tell myself "no sweeps, no passes" before every roll with anyone bigger or even remotely spazzing. so i don't give them any passes, and i don't let them sweep me if i'm on top. this is purely to prevent injury, since i've made the mistake of becoming complacent against bigger guys before, and ended up sitting at the ER checking if my knee was completely fucked or just mildly sprained. reminding myself not to zone out keeps me focused and in good position.

a friend who spent some time training with leo vieira told me that what leo does is always be just a tiny little step ahead of you. he isn't killing you, but he is making you work, he's just that little bit better than you. he does that to everyone from blue belt to black belt. that stuck with me and i always try to do that with people who are obviously not on my level. you can still tap them, you just don't run through them like they're not there.

I'm a blue belt, young (23) and physically fit. Do I catch purple belts and brown belts? Sometimes, especially if I'm giving it my all and use something I am particularly comfortable with. Do I believe I am farther along in my journey than them? Hell no! Find an athletic 3-4 stripe whitebelt and roll with them to the death. Then, watch the purple, brown, or black belt deal with them.

You'll see pretty soon that hitting a sweep or submission, versus your actual bjj knowledge, is two very different things.

Exactly this.

I'm a 6'4 blue belt with and five years of on-and-off no gi training before getting my white belt, and over ten years of yoga too so I'm pretty flexible. I've triangled brown belts a bunch of times. Even a couple of black belts. But far more often, they've passed my guard, smashed me, and submitted me. Sometimes 5 or 6 times a round.

In the grand scheme of things, a couple of taps in training mean very, very little.

Exactly this.

I'm a 6'4 blue belt with and five years of on-and-off no gi training before getting my white belt, and over ten years of yoga too so I'm pretty flexible. I've triangled brown belts a bunch of times. Even a couple of black belts. But far more often, they've passed my guard, smashed me, and submitted me. Sometimes 5 or 6 times a round.

In the grand scheme of things, a couple of taps in training mean very, very little.

It took you five years to get white belt? Damn were you just beltless before? Haha I kid

It took you five years to get white belt? Damn were you just beltless before? Haha I kid
Yeah, I literally was just a “no belt”.

I was training part time at an MMA gym... which was really just a Muay Thai gym that had a few grappling classes with low attendance. I’d do two grappling classes a week, MAX. Usually one or less. For a while there was a purple belt instructor, but no one else was ever graded. Then he left and there was no coach. Then we just started learning off YouTube and sharing with each other. It was the equivalent of just training in a garage. And basically a waste of my time.

About two years ago I made the switch to a proper gym, which proper coaching, and put a gi on for the first time. That’s when I finally became a white belt, after grappling for a few years already. The time doing no gi had got me good at certain things, some of the intangibles of grappling (balance, pressure, positioning etc) and my triangles were ok, but most of my technique was sloppy as fuck and I had NO IDEA what I was doing in the gi. I also had a very limited knowledge of positions. Had no idea what DLR or X guard were, for example.

I got my blue after two years of gi training (with 9 months off due to injury and work). Even then, a lot of upper belts would give me shit about sand bagging. When I got graded they were all giving me the “about fucking time” speech. The other blue belts were just sick of getting triangled by the lanky, flexy white belt haha. I’ve haven’t even been blue for a year and a bunch of them are already giving me shit about not getting my purple yet. But to be fair, I train like 6 times a week now, so I feel like I’m progressing pretty quick.

I feel terrible. I'm a white belt who's only trained like 4 months but I watch a lot of youtube. I started off by tapping a couple purples, then 5 browns, and I accidentally tapped Roger Gracie. I feel terrible about it.

Yeah, I literally was just a “no belt”.

I was training part time at an MMA gym... which was really just a Muay Thai gym that had a few grappling classes with low attendance. I’d do two grappling classes a week, MAX. Usually one or less. For a while there was a purple belt instructor, but no one else was ever graded. Then he left and there was no coach. Then we just started learning off YouTube and sharing with each other. It was the equivalent of just training in a garage. And basically a waste of my time.

About two years ago I made the switch to a proper gym, which proper coaching, and put a gi on for the first time. That’s when I finally became a white belt, after grappling for a few years already. The time doing no gi had got me good at certain things, some of the intangibles of grappling (balance, pressure, positioning etc) and my triangles were ok, but most of my technique was sloppy as fuck and I had NO IDEA what I was doing in the gi. I also had a very limited knowledge of positions. Had no idea what DLR or X guard were, for example.

I got my blue after two years of gi training (with 9 months off due to injury and work). Even then, a lot of upper belts would give me shit about sand bagging. When I got graded they were all giving me the “about fucking time” speech. The other blue belts were just sick of getting triangled by the lanky, flexy white belt haha. I’ve haven’t even been blue for a year and a bunch of them are already giving me shit about not getting my purple yet. But to be fair, I train like 6 times a week now, so I feel like I’m progressing pretty quick.

Oh damn you were serious haha! That's a super interesting journey. I feel you about that sandbagging thing. When I was at uni I spent 8 months at a place there and went to my home gym for only 4 months during summer, and gradings were spring and fall. It wasnt an intentional sandbag but I heard the same comments from people when I finally got it.

this is what passes for a topic in f12 these day.

ugh.

/wasteland #shitposter

I tried to join a jiu jitsu gym but we had some disagreements and it didn't work out. Already being a blackbelt I thought they'd just allow me to join up as one but this new gym wanted me to begin all over again as a white belt. It wasn't going to work out so I told them they were beneath my level. Does anyone know a gym that accepts Sherdog blackbelts?

I tried to join a jiu jitsu gym but we had some disagreements and it didn't work out. Already being a blackbelt I thought they'd just allow me to join up as one but this new gym wanted me to begin all over again as a white belt. It wasn't going to work out so I told them they were beneath my level. Does anyone know a gym that accepts Sherdog blackbelts?

I think this guy will accept your sherdog black belt

I feel terrible. I'm a white belt who's only trained like 4 months but I watch a lot of youtube. I started off by tapping a couple purples, then 5 browns, and I accidentally tapped Roger Gracie. I feel terrible about it.
ROTFL, you make my day!

Honestly that's whack. I'm blue, and I'd probably do it if there was nowhere else to train, and I'd also figure I'd get my blue back in no time. But you're a black belt! That's bullshit! I know the belt system doesn't really matter and it's the journey, I generally agree with those things. But man it just bothers me asking a bjj blackbelt to start over at white.

It would be different if you had a Judo blackbelt or any other discipline

Back