I feel like tapping to a choke is worse than tapping to strikes.

this should be seven pages of calling OP a fgt or memes wtf

Tapping to strikes usually shows that you’re done and is basically a TKO, maybe because I watch a lot of boxing and see fights get ended on the stool. Usually tapping bc of punches show that you’re legitimately out of the fight and while it’s true that some people would rather go out cold than tap to that it’s still doesn’t make it a weak way to end a fight.

Being put in a RNC or giving up your back in general tho? That is extremely cowardly and is worthy of ridicule. That’s the equivalent of quitting in the middle of a game or fight.

GSP doesn’t deserve shit for the Matt Serra loss even though it looked bad. But Conor does deserve all the shit he gets for giving up his neck and tapping the way he does. It’s borderline cowardly
you dipshit. of course this is a veiled conrad hate thread. You cretins never give up.

TS clearly has no idea what he’s talking about. This might crack the top 3 most idiotic threads I’ve ever seen. It’s too absurd to even argue with.

I liked your post but I just had to point out the irony of your name. It made me laugh :)
I know but I actually chose the name to make fun of big timmeh for not tapping against Mir when he broke his arm.

99% of people thinking tapping to strikes is cowardly never trained combat sports in their life.
It's really just a meme that took off from an early TUF episode and has been repeated ad nauseum ever since.
I think it came from Chuck? I don't think anyone should take his advice on absorbing strikes.

Tapping from a choke could be a business decision. An unconscious Conor would be worse than the tapping Conor gif.

Also tapping to either is not cowardly

Tapping to strikes usually shows that you’re done and is basically a TKO, maybe because I watch a lot of boxing and see fights get ended on the stool. Usually tapping bc of punches show that you’re legitimately out of the fight and while it’s true that some people would rather go out cold than tap to that it’s still doesn’t make it a weak way to end a fight.

Being put in a RNC or giving up your back in general tho? That is extremely cowardly and is worthy of ridicule. That’s the equivalent of quitting in the middle of a game or fight.

GSP doesn’t deserve shit for the Matt Serra loss even though it looked bad. But Conor does deserve all the shit he gets for giving up his neck and tapping the way he does. It’s borderline cowardly

This is completely retarded

This logic is completely retarded, it’s the exact opposite. If you’re getting lit up at least there may be a chance to work out of it where as if you get a rear naked choke fully sunk in on you there’s absolutely nothing you can do so you fuckin tap because why not?
Either way fighters are not cowards because they tap but only someone who actually trains understands this unlike you.

If you roll even with your friends getting caught in a tight choke is brutal. It's not really the feeling of not being able to breathe that makes you tap bur rather the feeling of having your windpipe crushed

When the choke is deep in you know
You are about to go out because there’s nothing you can do

Could someone who actually trains at a real gym confirm if tapping is frowned upon? I thought everyone eventually gets tapped even Roger Gracie. ???

Of course its not.
Tapping is part of learning if we talk training and rolling.
If we talk matches I am sure most high level guys have tapped in competition one time or another.
People talking about how tapping out is worse than " " is often people with no or very limited training.

or maybe not? maybe believe what fighters have to say? either i take your opinion, or the opinion of fighters. which one should i choose?

I'll guess Shogun is weak then..

I'll take what fighters say in interviews with a grain of salt.
A lot of that talk is hype talk and to get exposure, and trying to get certain fights.

No. If you get choked out that's brain damage. It's ok to tap to any submission... You're admitting you lost. You have your Jon Fitch's who can withstand it, or people like Holly Holm that will go out like a G

but that's the thing. even fighter's-themselves say how tapping to strikes is weak. if there is anyone who would know, it's fighters. that is why fighters will insist that they never tapped to strikes. because even fighters know they shouldn't be tapping to strikes.

Yeah, fighters like Frank Mir and BJ Penn who both went on to tap to strikes and quit on the stool

<36>

tapping when it's clear you've already been defeated, by whatever means, should never be criticized. it's usually just morons or those who were never in such a situation who feel they can judge. shogun tapped to strikes and fedor tapped to a choke. that should be enough for everyone.
This. Especially in a day and age where fight mileage and cte are such a huge talking point, why is opting out of unneccesary damage when you're clearly bested seen as cowardly? It's a sport at the end of the day, not an actual blood fight. The people who call those who tap like that cowards deserve to be full mounted and pounded in the face with right hands for a good two minutes straight to give them an eye opener.

The same guys that say that tapping is for coward are insufferables in the gym.
Let go of your ego dude!

I like Khabib but you should be relaxed enough in your gym to tap.

The op specifically compared Serra and McGregor, so why are you stating that it would be an interesting argument to hear?

The loss to Serra is what hurt StPierre’s brand in many eyes and it also happened at his peak. The op went out of his way to address McGregor’s tap as “cowardly”, while tapping to strikes as basically a “TKO”, which it’s not. Whether you believe StPierre quit or not is another argument, but don’t tell me this wasn’t some lame attempt to save Georges credibility by taking a dump on McGregor.

I've no idea what the OP meant, I don't know what he usually posts. The question of tapping to strikes has been around a lot longer than GSP. It started in judo a century ago, when it was considered cowardly to tap to chokes or locks (and in fact one reason judo banned leg locks in 1925 was because judoka weren't tapping to them in competition (in practice it was always okay), and there were too many knee injuries, which had far worse consequences than broken arms). Boxing had the same attitude to giving up, it was how people thought back then -- people were still dueling to the death for insults at the time, so what was a torn knee or broken arm to people ready to die over a few words?

Other sports had the same attitude. Old time hockey players played in the NHL with broken ankles and hands, were knocked out on back on the ice the next shift. Goalies played without masks, skaters without helmets. Because getting severely injured or even killed was part of sport, and not a big deal.

Tapping in competition slowly became acceptable in judo after WW2, mainly because people against it slowly got old and died. There are still judoka who refuse to tap to chokes and even armbars in things like the Olympics, but they're pretty rare. Its just a sport, not a test of courage is the common viewpoint.

I don't know BJJ's history very well, but judging by Helio's refusal to tap to Kimura's kimura, it had the same attitude to tapping to chokes and locks as judo did back then. And that attitude changed in BJJ as well, so now they tap. MMA inherited BJJ's attitude to tapping to chokes and locks, and boxing's attitude to strikes.

That was fine, except about ten years ago medical science figured out that being hit on the head when you're already concussed has severe short term and long term affects (much worse than being hit when not concussed, though they're not exactly sure why, probably because of inflammation and swelling) -- affects nothing medical science can do anything to fix. Once the neurological damage is there its yours for life. That's why the NFL and NHL now take concussions very seriously, and rules say you have to be taken out of the game if you're hit hard enough to get a concussion (ie hit hard enough to be staggered).

That new medical knowledge is working its way into MMA, and fighters who know a bit about medical knowledge are taking it into account. Sparring in MMA used to go for knock outs, now many clubs don't allow full head contact in sparring. And many fighters are treating knowing they can't escape in striking just like they do in chokes or locks -- which only makes sense. A head blow on a concussed skull is far more dangerous than an arm lock, which is why medical associations want to ban boxing and MMA, but none want to ban judo or BJJ.

There's always a chance to escape. This is true for locks, chokes, and strikes. Its why Helio didn't tap, why judoka looked down on people who tapped to locks and chokes, why boxers weren't supposed to give up until they were out cold (though some would take a dive at that point). But the risk to reward comes into play. Why risk permanent brain damage or a broken arm when your chance of escape is almost zero for a sporting event?

GSP is irrelevant in this, he's basically retired and probably will never fight again, so he's not ever going to be in a position where he has to decide whether to tap or not. His tapping is ancient history. The question is about guys still fighting, and how they should react, not about what happened in the past.

There is this misconception that being choked out is harmless. You can potentially have a stroke from being choked out.

Back