I hate that Gordon Ryan is so good

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
he's such a dick and prick and yet probably one of the GOAT's of BJJ. I hate that he has to be so good lol, anyone feel the same

No, cause I dont hate on successessful athletes no matter how controversial their perceived personalities are.

Bad attitude towards comp is whats helping him. Half the guys are just fans and the other half are resting on their laurels. Of course he's winning.

Gordon has a silly gimmick on the interwebz, but I've met him in real life & in training on the mats, & he really is the nicest guy. The douchebag persona is purely on social media, and while I might think that's unnecessary, he has used it to make himself well paid so it's hard to argue with.

I'm much more disappointed in a guy like Jon Jones, who is an incredible talent in competition, but then an absolute menace to society in real life, both on the streets behind a wheel, or beating his woman in front of their children. Give me a guy like Gordon, who just talks immature shit online but then is nice in real life, over that any day.

Gordon has a silly gimmick on the interwebz, but I've met him in real life & in training on the mats, & he really is the nicest guy. The douchebag persona is purely on social media, and while I might think that's unnecessary, he has used it to make himself well paid so it's hard to argue with.

I'm much more disappointed in a guy like Jon Jones, who is an incredible talent in competition, but then an absolute menace to society in real life, both on the streets behind a wheel, or beating his woman in front of their children. Give me a guy like Gordon, who just talks immature shit online but then is nice in real life, over that any day.
thank you for this perspective

do you agree with John?, John says Gordon is the greatest talent he has ever seen

Last edited:

Meh, I guess. The dude is the baddest guy that has ever stepped foot in a cage. What do you expect, that he just flips the switch and turns into Mr. Rogers as soon as the fight is over? I'm not apologizing for him, but be fucking realistic. It's the same shit with special forces guys and veterans that killed a bunch of people in combat.

Our society is so fucking retarded it expects the same person to be both a lion and a lamb. And before you or anyone else says, "What about Fedor, what about GSP?" just cool your jets.... Those guys were great, but not the best EVER, there can only be one best EVER, and it's going to be a guy with the attitude of a king.

Gordon comes off pretty normal and likable on podcasts. He's a shit talker and has a very antagonistic persona and it seems effective in getting into his opponents' heads. He's a beast.
Though I think it does run against the values of humility which are taught in the gym of humility and showing respect for your training partners/opponents.

he's such a dick and prick and yet probably one of the GOAT's of BJJ. I hate that he has to be so good lol, anyone feel the same

It's not him only. Most of the people he goes back and forth with have a crack at him first and thhen he just aggressively goes after them endlessly in response and raises things up a level each time.

Any long form interviews with him show that whilst he is a cocky dickhead, he is actually no different than the others who pretend they aren't like that. Many top athletes are especially in BJJ. Let's not forget back in the day in brazil they used to beat the shit out of each other and dojo storm.

It's not him only. Most of the people he goes back and forth with have a crack at him first and thhen he just aggressively goes after them endlessly in response and raises things up a level each time.

Any long form interviews with him show that whilst he is a cocky dickhead, he is actually no different than the others who pretend they aren't like that. Many top athletes are especially in BJJ. Let's not forget back in the day in brazil they used to beat the shit out of each other and dojo storm.
true there is defintelly some hypocrisy...many of the OG Brazilians were just as big of pricks

i wonder if Gordon gets a bad rep because he is an "outsider".. you know the hotshot American kid that comes and does better than the people that have been steeped into that culture for decades

It's not like Ryan Hall is homeless or something...

He's too beta to try MMA so there's that.
He would get GnP'd to sleep.

Meh, I guess. The dude is the baddest guy that has ever stepped foot in a cage. What do you expect, that he just flips the switch and turns into Mr. Rogers as soon as the fight is over? I'm not apologizing for him, but be fucking realistic. It's the same shit with special forces guys and veterans that killed a bunch of people in combat.

Our society is so fucking retarded it expects the same person to be both a lion and a lamb. And before you or anyone else says, "What about Fedor, what about GSP?" just cool your jets.... Those guys were great, but not the best EVER, there can only be one best EVER, and it's going to be a guy with the attitude of a king.
Jon Jones acts more like a drunk serf after the lord threw him too much coin for winning a pitfighting contest.
Nobody expect him to be humble or a nice person but he gets in stupid avoidable trouble. He has enough money to hire a driver.

Disagree. The are zero truly nice, genuine people who have alter egos that are massive shitlords. (Would everyone love Marcelo as much if he were toxic online?) Gordon just finds it harder to be an ass in person than he does over the internet.

None of this takes away from his accomplishments or the results.

I agree with you but you’d be surprised (or maybe you wouldn’t be) at how many BJJ guys are “dicks and pricks”. Nothing new.

I’m not really a fan, but at least Gordon Ryan isn’t phony.

Back