I have to agree with Ariel about Dana playing dumb about Smoliakov

Eckhart Tolle

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
ARIEL (pt. 8 of 22-see link below): "8. I'm sorry, but Dana White's whole "I don't know where we found that Dmitrii Smoliakov guy" routine after Greg Hardy annihilated the Russian in half a round doesn't pass the smell test for me. White is heavily invested in Hardy because he's a product of his Contender Series show and comes along with a whole lot of baggage. He has to be, and that's OK. So I don't believe for a second that he also isn't fully up to speed with whom he is fighting before each and every UFC bout. Now, I don't believe White is handpicking these guys -- that's matchmaker Mick Maynard's job -- but White is no doubt aware of their résumés. And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with saying, 'Yeah, we gave him a tuneup fight after his debut didn't go so well.' I'd appreciate that candor much more."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...donald-deserves-praise-honesty-other-thoughts

I don't really care. It happens in boxing at almost literally every show a major promotion has. In mma there's no development like in boxing...which i think makes it more entertaining, but it is what it is.

Smoliakov isn't even good at testing prospects...he'd be fired in boxing immediately. You're supposed to lose by challenging the kid in a certain area...not just dive after 90 seconds

Yup, got finished in the previous two UFC fights.

They knew what they were giving Hardy. They just thought the dude would go a little longer and maybe....try something?

This shit is so obviously obvious.

Part of the problem with the UFC is that they don't have a stable of cans and journeymen to feed the talent..........it would work wonders in creating highlight reel finishes and helping to build names. Nothing wrong with some tune-ups and can-crushings!

When you've got a roster of 90% of the talent in the sport, you're going to have titles changing hands constantly, smaller winning streaks, etc. (ie what we're seeing now).

Yup, got finished in the previous two UFC fights.

They knew what they were giving Hardy. They just thought the dude would go a little longer and maybe....try something?
Yeah ideally you get a guy with a certain skill set, wrestling in this case, and you test your prospect in that area....but you know the whole time your prospect will knock the guys head off in an inevitable exchange....you just would hope to develop him with legit wrestling against that prototype so you know him better for future matchups

It failed if that was the plan

Greg got the level of competition that was warranted for his experience level.

When UFC doesn’t cultivate prospects like they do in boxing, people bitch (including Ariel).

When a prospect gets matched with a comparable competitor and smokes them, people bitch (including Ariel).

Everyone just hates Greg Hardy, understandably, and wants to see him thrown to wolves. Just relax, he’ll
be matched with a top ten competitor soon enough and we’ll see where he’s really at.

This reminds me of when Brock came to the UFC. So much salt, I can still taste it.

He wanted to get Hardy an easy, for sure win. When he realized that it looked too easy he acted like somebody else decided to put some guy he'd never heard of in there. He probably thought Hardy would just lamp him with a huge punch and knock him out. He didn't expect the guy to basically just give up before he even really got hit good.

He’s right. Dana lies every time he opens his mouth, though. So it’s not a big surprise. Good to see somebody calling Dana out for something, though.

UFC did the other thing with its other Contender Series guy.

UFC is using that show to build up, uh, explosive and athletic fighters for the new ESPN audience. Dana has always been a cuck for athletic types (like how Brock and Israel got big pushes), as he thinks it makes the sport look more legit.

UFC isn't good at building new talent. They should have let him go develop in Bellator but he is a little too old and UFC needs a star.

Part of the problem with the UFC is that they don't have a stable of cans and journeymen to feed the talent..........it would work wonders in creating highlight reel finishes and helping to build names. Nothing wrong with some tune-ups and can-crushings!

When you've got a roster of 90% of the talent in the sport, you're going to have titles changing hands constantly, smaller winning streaks, etc. (ie what we're seeing now).
That's exactly what I like about the ufc.

I actually agree with ariel for once. it's fine to admit that you handed the guy a tuneup fight. has been the norm in combat sports since the beginning. especially looks dumb when your'e asking "who has this guy fought" when the guy has had two prior fights in the promotion

ARIEL (pt. 8 of 22-see link below): "8. I'm sorry, but Dana White's whole "I don't know where we found that Dmitrii Smoliakov guy" routine after Greg Hardy annihilated the Russian in half a round doesn't pass the smell test for me. White is heavily invested in Hardy because he's a product of his Contender Series show and comes along with a whole lot of baggage. He has to be, and that's OK. So I don't believe for a second that he also isn't fully up to speed with whom he is fighting before each and every UFC bout. Now, I don't believe White is handpicking these guys -- that's matchmaker Mick Maynard's job -- but White is no doubt aware of their résumés. And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with saying, 'Yeah, we gave him a tuneup fight after his debut didn't go so well.' I'd appreciate that candor much more."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...donald-deserves-praise-honesty-other-thoughts
I don't trust Ariel about as much as I don't trust Dana.
Both are liars.

The difference is that Dana looks for his interests as much as his company. Ariel is just a men with absolute no integrity.

Back