I Honestly Don't See How Khabib Wins This

Terrible fight analysis. You have a few good points, but you didn’t take into consideration Conor’s horrendous cardio, which might even be worse now. After 2 rounds of Khabib wrestling with him, Conor isn’t knocking anything out. And you also downplay Khabibs ability to get takedowns and the serious damage he can do down there.

You are basically assessing this like it is Anderson Silva versus Yusen Okami, and it isn’t.

Terrible fight analysis. You have a few good points, but you didn’t take into consideration Conor’s horrendous cardio, which might even be worse now. After 2 rounds of Khabib wrestling with him, Conor isn’t knocking anything out. And you also downplay Khabibs ability to get takedowns and the serious damage he can do down there.

You are basically assessing this like it is Anderson Silva versus Yusen Okami, and it isn’t.
Has there ever been a case of a fighter having shit cardio and then improving on it later in his career? I don't recall any...They say Tyron has improved, or at least stop gassing, but I think that's just a matter of pacing himself

stopped at "pure logical deduction"

I think as much flak as Khabib gets for his stand up, it's improved dramatically since the Michael Johnson fight. The way he enters and exits the pocket is completely different now, he cuts his angles to set up the jab and doesn't just move backward and forward anymore. He should be able to create some entries to dive for a single doing this, especially if he keeps his right glued to his head. At the same time though Conor does have amazing timing and set ups. If he can bait Khabib he can land some massive counters.

It's a 60/40 at best for Conor, and a 40/60 at worst. So let's just called this a pick em' fight.

If Khabib takes Conor down with ease and has his way with him for a good part of one round, I think it’s very possible that Conor gets back up a completely different fighter.... I think that will seriously effect his mental state, and I have a feeling that Conor doesn’t realize how good Khabib is at getting you to the mat.

Has there ever been a case of a fighter having shit cardio and then improving on it later in his career? I don't recall any...They say Tyron has improved, or at least stop gassing, but I think that's just a matter of pacing himself
None that I can recall, I always asked myself this for a while too. Outside of genetics, I think it would take too much effort and money to establish a program that would significantly improve your cardio, you would be monitored, tracked, and guided towards improvement by highly educated individuals, similar to what Nike did for the top marathon runners. Now what I have seen fighters do is what you suggest at the end, changing their style to accommodate their cardio.

Punchers chance is a bad bet even if it is Conor. Conor literally needs to knock him out early in the fight. If he doesn't he will get mauled.

You're not giving Khabib enough credit, if Mendes was able to control Conor early then Khabib can as well, sure Khabib's striking it weaker then Mendes' which will make the first (maybe 2nd) round pretty tough, but if Khabib just gets one take down early then say goodbye to a large chunk of Conor's cardio which will make the rest of the fight easy sailing for the most part.

For what it's worth, I agree. I feel like this fight is Holly vs. Ronda 2.0

Conor avoiding clinch and takedowns using superior footwork and boxing. Im not a Conor fan, tbh, he annoys me and it will suck to see him win.

For some real analysis, check out "the Weasle" on YT.

Let me help you imagine...

giphy.gif

You said more with this one gif than TS did with that whole diatribe...

Conor is a better striker than Barboza, though. Much better on the backfoot, too.
Better boxer, no where near as multifaceted. Either way, you think conor is going to stuff enough take downs to keep it standing?

He has almost no shot of winning if you ask me. In terms of pure logical deduction, Conor should be the favorite here.

Conor is much, much better on the feet and every fight (and every round) starts on the feet. Khabib's sloppy standup game makes him an easy target for a sniper like McGregor, and his four inch reach disadvantage isn't gonna do him any favors either (I usually don't harp on the reach differential, but when you're as good of a striker as Conor is, every inch you have to your advantage matters.)

Even if Khabib got ahold of him, he's not gonna be able to get him down right away without Conor making him work for it. And if he gets taken down but survives the round (plausible, considering Khabib isn't much of a finisher), then what? It's right back on the feet, which means Khabib has to reset and come within Conor's striking range and risk getting knocked out all over again just to get the fight back to where he wants it.

Basically if Conor were to fight a near flawless fight, it'll just be your typical 1 or 2 round KO for McGregor. If Khabib were to fight a near flawless fight, it would still take him at least two or three rounds if not more before he could wear Conor down enough to win. Khabib is at such a disadvantage when you break every component of the fight down that it's a wonder he isn't the underdog instead of McGregor.
Never mind fighting Khabib. Conor can gas himself out by throwing punches for a round and a half.

He has almost no shot of winning if you ask me. In terms of pure logical deduction, Conor should be the favorite here.

Conor is much, much better on the feet and every fight (and every round) starts on the feet. Khabib's sloppy standup game makes him an easy target for a sniper like McGregor, and his four inch reach disadvantage isn't gonna do him any favors either (I usually don't harp on the reach differential, but when you're as good of a striker as Conor is, every inch you have to your advantage matters.)

Even if Khabib got ahold of him, he's not gonna be able to get him down right away without Conor making him work for it. And if he gets taken down but survives the round (plausible, considering Khabib isn't much of a finisher), then what? It's right back on the feet, which means Khabib has to reset and come within Conor's striking range and risk getting knocked out all over again just to get the fight back to where he wants it.

Basically if Conor were to fight a near flawless fight, it'll just be your typical 1 or 2 round KO for McGregor. If Khabib were to fight a near flawless fight, it would still take him at least two or three rounds if not more before he could wear Conor down enough to win. Khabib is at such a disadvantage when you break every component of the fight down that it's a wonder he isn't the underdog instead of McGregor.

I agree with most of what you said.

Conor, who has been tested at the highest levels, should be the favorite. It doesn’t matter if he loses mind you, it’s just weird that a proven fighter in mega fights and a high finish rate is the underdog. The mystery is Khabib not Conor. I don’t care how much he gassed, we all know Conor’s weaknesses and only got a glimpse of some of Khabib’s deficiencies.

As a Khabib fan, I believe, like you, that he must have a near-perfect fight to win. Conor, even if sloppy or distracted, will land some good punches. I’m not saying he’ll win, but it’s foolish to say he’s not going to connect. The man has great MMA boxing, I can’t take that away from him.

He never had shit cardio but wouldn't you say Dillashaw is pretty close to peak physical shape at 32? And at 135 too. Conor's obviously starting from a lower point than TJ but it's possible he could be in noticeably better shape at 30.

There is a possibility ts is just blind.

Back