I no longer think of the UFC as a Sports Organization

the only thing that feels stupid about you saying this is that not only has MMA been doing this for years, but boxing has been doing it for much longer.

and no one ever accused boxing of not being a real sport.

Boxers used to go on talk shows and game shows together and threaten to fight each other. Look up some old Ali/Frazier stuff, it's almost the exact same shit that's happening with Aldo/McGregor now

The only thing blurring the lines is the UFC signing 0-0 celebrities to fight in the most prestigious organization in the sport. That is where the entertainment outweighs the sport

but everything else is fine.
Oh, there are posters itt saying boxing isn't a real sport either. Takes a special kind....

I don't know whether people here will relate to what I have to say. Some of you would for sure come up with sarcastic comments, as you often do, but this is for you guys who are disappointed like me.

So.
For me, for the past 3.5 years since I started watching UFC events on television, I knew that the whole concept of it was half-sport half-entertainment. I was happy with the sports part, as these athletes, in my opinion are some of the most impressive athletes on earth. With the "other side" - The pure entertainment side, I was less impressed. Not because I hate being entertained, It's just that people like Dana White piss me off.

With this tour, I feel as though a border was crossed. What happened over the past week was that the UFC publicly announced it being a pure entertainment organization. Yes, contractors it hires fight in the octagon. But somehow, this whole media-world-circus-tour made it seem like fighting is only a side show. Right now, It's all about who steals whose belt..

I am bummed out, as a fan. YES - Will still watch the fight. Would've watched it even without that whole 10 cities 12 days crap. But this festival around McGregor's behavior and Aldo's responses.. Too much for me, and I am sure for other people too. Stopped watching at episode 5... BS-Overload.

Anyone feels the same? frustration is better when shared

watch ufc 1...it was a media circus...nothing has changed..it's more of a sport now..

All sports are entertainment.

Yes. But all legit sports are entertainment, but not all entertainment are legit sports. MMA is a sport, but ufc is more sport entertainment/wwe with its match making and title shots (may the most popular/best mic skills win).

Yes. But all legit sports are entertainment, but not all entertainment are legit sports. MMA is a sport, but ufc is more sport entertainment/wwe with its match making and title shots (may the most popular/best mic skills win).

MMA is a sport.
All sports are entertainment.

you are not.
But some people in here will purposely find something to nitpick your point, no matter how much common sense it is.

If you say the sky is blue, they will go on a tirade that colors will vary during sunset.

If you say water is wet, they will bring dry-ice... anything to disagree, however stupid their argument might be. the important part is to disagree.

LMAO ....so water is wet but "dry-ice" isn't? LOL You have no idea what dry ice is do you, it has nothing to do with water. No water in it, its carbon dioxide, you moron.

Two entirely different chemicals

been a MMA fan since 1999.

Never once, not for a single second, have I ever considered MMA a sport. Yes the fighters are athletes, but it's not a sport.

I have always looked at the UFC as a combat organization, not a sports organization. It is combat not basketball or football. The guy who finishes fastest and in the most impressive fashion rises to the top the fastest. That is the way it is, deserved or undeserved people watch fights to be entertained.

Loudmouth fighters are the worst. Take that Conor dude out and we wouldn't have threads like this.

been a MMA fan since 1999.

Never once, not for a single second, have I ever considered MMA a sport. Yes the fighters are athletes, but it's not a sport.

In which way is it not a sport? It is a physical activity played under a set of rules with a winner and loser at the end. Sounds like a sport to me.

Right..... from an idiot with a anti-GSP comment in his signature, what a shock.

Right.... from the idiot with the GSP nut-hugging comment in his signature, what a shock.

Boxing has always been the same way. It's a fight not a stick and ball sport.

Again:
As for getting title shots off of marketing and not winning fights, which guys below are you talking about?

How many times does it need to be explained to you there are multiple factors when determining title shots and marketing > record. There are also dozens of examples of guys getting high profile fights, televised fights, and main events all off losses too.

Because there is absolutely no standard what so ever, the UFC will book whatever fight it wants.

Other than being contradictory for the sake of being difficult I have no idea what point you are even trying to make, but it sure isn't convincing anybody about the UFC being a sport.

How many times does it need to be explained to you there are multiple factors when determining title shots and marketing > record. There are also dozens of examples of guys getting high profile fights, televised fights, and main events all off losses too.

Because there is absolutely no standard what so ever, the UFC will book whatever fight it wants.

Other than being contradictory for the sake of being difficult I have no idea what point you are even trying to make, but it sure isn't convincing anybody about the UFC being a sport.

His point was pretty obvious. People complain often around here about undeserved title shots, but when you actually sit down and look at every title shot, very few were undeserved.

Consider how often people say that in the UFC you can talk your way to a title shot. Now tell me how many people have ever done so. Chael vs Jones and Diaz vs GSP. There may be a few more, but not many, especially not when you consider the how small a fraction of total title fights they represent.

I can't wait till Saturday so Sherdog will at least bitch about something else.

Back