I no longer think of the UFC as a Sports Organization

His point was pretty obvious. People complain often around here about undeserved title shots, but when you actually sit down and look at every title shot, very few were undeserved.

Consider how often people say that in the UFC you can talk your way to a title shot. Now tell me how many people have ever done so. Chael vs Jones and Diaz vs GSP. There may be a few more, but not many, especially not when you consider the how small a fraction of total title fights they represent.

Why does the argument have to be boiled down to only title shots? It's simply that other poster dancing around the argument, responding without "responding".

How many times does it need to be explained to you there are multiple factors when determining title shots and marketing > record. There are also dozens of examples of guys getting high profile fights, televised fights, and main events all off losses too.

Because there is absolutely no standard what so ever, the UFC will book whatever fight it wants.

Other than being contradictory for the sake of being difficult I have no idea what point you are even trying to make, but it sure isn't convincing anybody about the UFC being a sport.
List those title shots then. Come on, champ do it. It is a simple concept to understand. You can't understand the point - I'm not surprised considering you are a person of low intelligence.
Why does the argument have to be boiled down to only title shots? It's simply that other poster dancing around the argument, responding without "responding".
Haha. Just stop, can.
Pretty funny you are a Packers fan, 2013 was the season to kill Rodgers and yet....

Last edited:
And Ali admittedly patterned his trash talking after a pro wrestler. :cool:

And Ali admittedly patterned his trash talking after a pro wrestler. :cool:

I have brought that point up several times in a few threads. It's hilarious how much love Ali gets on this forum for emulating PW antics, but how hated (supposedly) PW is on this same forum lol...

It feels like a kiddie sport. I would put it in the same bag as Call of Duty,EA, Nintendo and WWE. Things grown men shouldn't like but hey if low iQ Murkins eat the crap up and enjoy it good for them.

I don't know whether people here will relate to what I have to say. Some of you would for sure come up with sarcastic comments, as you often do, but this is for you guys who are disappointed like me.

So.
For me, for the past 3.5 years since I started watching UFC events on television, I knew that the whole concept of it was half-sport half-entertainment. I was happy with the sports part, as these athletes, in my opinion are some of the most impressive athletes on earth. With the "other side" - The pure entertainment side, I was less impressed. Not because I hate being entertained, It's just that people like Dana White piss me off.

With this tour, I feel as though a border was crossed. What happened over the past week was that the UFC publicly announced it being a pure entertainment organization. Yes, contractors it hires fight in the octagon. But somehow, this whole media-world-circus-tour made it seem like fighting is only a side show. Right now, It's all about who steals whose belt..

I am bummed out, as a fan. YES - Will still watch the fight. Would've watched it even without that whole 10 cities 12 days crap. But this festival around McGregor's behavior and Aldo's responses.. Too much for me, and I am sure for other people too. Stopped watching at episode 5... BS-Overload.

Anyone feels the same? frustration is better when shared

3.5 years ago it was already no longer a legit sports organization.

List those title shots then. Come on, champ do it. It is a simple concept to understand.

Why don't you try some critical thinking and re-ask your question using proper context

Or just keep on crying about your inability to have a conversation with me without resorting to these tantrums of poorly executed insults. Your call bro.

MMA isn't a team sport. Why are you comparing a team sport to prizefighting?
Anyway, team sports have a playoff bracket and sometimes teams with a .500 record or even a losing record can make the playoffs. So, teams coming off losses, even a string of them can still get the chance to win a title.

Team sports also don't have a reigning champion - a team wins one season and keeps that year's title. When they start the next season, they don't turn over a title when they lose. So, again it is another format.

You all are asking for a system that doesn't exist in prizefighting, has never existed in prizefighting. If you think the system is so bad now, how did you ever make it through the first 10 years of the UFC or Pride FC?

Pfft, bitching for a system that no one has even been able to come close to creating.

At what point did I saw anything about justifying a title fight based on popularity?
Those 3 that had a title fight coming off a lose were 1) a former title holder coming off a title challenge, 2) fighters coming off of another title fight.
What about that doesn't make them top fighters instead of just being popular?
A fighter can lose a title fight and still be ranked highly. Or in line for another title shot.

The PGA, players can get exemptions to the majors. They go down pretty low - top 60 or 70 on the money list for qualifiers. For some a champ from up to 5 or 10 years ago can enter the major (or another major) even if they are having a shitty year. PGA championship tournament - any former champ can enter. Top 15 from the year before can enter, even if that guy has been duffing all season long, he still has a shot at the PGA championship because of his finish the previous year. Why do you think they have so many qualifying markers? It is to get popular guys in that might be having a mediocre tour.
Let me guess, you also don't consider golf a sport.

edit: Since you think a team format is the best, did you watch the IFL?

If anything, the tournament format of Bellator was the closest one to impartial. (they f'ed up when they started awarding shortcuts).

If it depended on you then, Human race would still be living in trees or caves.

The system such, but why try to improve???

That's not true. Sometimes I like to agree, but take issue with the words another poster used. And what's up with that hyphen between dry and ice? Weak shit.

LOL!!! On point! :)

the only thing that feels stupid about you saying this is that not only has MMA been doing this for years, but boxing has been doing it for much longer.

and no one ever accused boxing of not being a real sport.

Boxers used to go on talk shows and game shows together and threaten to fight each other. Look up some old Ali/Frazier stuff, it's almost the exact same shit that's happening with Aldo/McGregor now

The only thing blurring the lines is the UFC signing 0-0 celebrities to fight in the most prestigious organization in the sport. That is where the entertainment outweighs the sport

but everything else is fine.

COme on Now, Natman.
No one accuses Boxing of corruption????? Are you serious now??? :icon_lol:

LMAO ....so water is wet but "dry-ice" isn't? LOL You have no idea what dry ice is do you, it has nothing to do with water. No water in it, its carbon dioxide, you moron.

Two entirely different chemicals

yes, I knew it would be a stretch. I thought of changing it, but in the end, people can obviously understand what I mean.

Jackass like you though are exactly the type of people I targeted. They rather nitpick a piece of your sentence than the overall point you are driving across.

Thank you! You proved exactly my point!

been a MMA fan since 1999.

Never once, not for a single second, have I ever considered MMA a sport. Yes the fighters are athletes, but it's not a sport.

All this says is you have no idea what the word sport means.

I don't know whether people here will relate to what I have to say. Some of you would for sure come up with sarcastic comments, as you often do, but this is for you guys who are disappointed like me.

So.
For me, for the past 3.5 years since I started watching UFC events on television, I knew that the whole concept of it was half-sport half-entertainment. I was happy with the sports part, as these athletes, in my opinion are some of the most impressive athletes on earth. With the "other side" - The pure entertainment side, I was less impressed. Not because I hate being entertained, It's just that people like Dana White piss me off.

With this tour, I feel as though a border was crossed. What happened over the past week was that the UFC publicly announced it being a pure entertainment organization. Yes, contractors it hires fight in the octagon. But somehow, this whole media-world-circus-tour made it seem like fighting is only a side show. Right now, It's all about who steals whose belt..

I am bummed out, as a fan. YES - Will still watch the fight. Would've watched it even without that whole 10 cities 12 days crap. But this festival around McGregor's behavior and Aldo's responses.. Too much for me, and I am sure for other people too. Stopped watching at episode 5... BS-Overload.

Do you consider boxing as a sports organization?

Just watch the fights for the fighters. UFC has a great roster of fighters. I'm sorry THEY have to put up with some of the BS, but we can just watch the fights.

The NFL can't simply put the two most popular teams in the Super Bowl because it will be the biggest drawing broadcast.

The UFC doesn't have to follow rankings. Guys like Conor McGregor can leap frog everyone and get a title shot based on entertainment value alone and all people can do is complain. If the NFL did it, there would be sanctions, lawsuits, protests, etc.

UFC is an entertainment product based in sport. It's far closer to WWE's product and business model over ANY sports league.

None of these are required to be a sports league. Your just throwing in a bunch of stuff you think every sports league should follow. The ufc is a sports league it fits the definition. If you don't like the way ufc does things compared to other sport leagues fine but that doesn't disqualify the ufc from being one.

I get what you're saying. My only hope is that by people tuning in to see some famous "athlete" they will watch and learn to appreciate the real fighters and the skill involved.

So.

The UFC now is the same as the UFC 3.5 yrs ago.

Back