"I run, so my legs are strong"

You don't have a strong lower body until your can leg press 1,000 lbs with 1/16 ROM.

haha I have a friend like this... His quote the other day,"No one notices your legs..."

i dunno
if you're already heavy enough for a weightclass, lifting weights will just make u heavier.

the idea is that people have to weight train to become strong, but its not always true. some mma fighters dont lift weights at all and they fight super good (ie. josh thomson)

Bamaispriceless said:
You don't have a strong lower body until your can leg press 1,000 lbs with 1/16 ROM.

Haha! Where do reverse leg curls fall into this?

for me, I like to run becuase I want to be able to just fucking take off and haul ass if I need to, I don't do it becuase I think it will make my legs ultra strong, but I think leg endurance is about as importance as leg strength, as least in my experience, I like to alot of hiking, biking, swimming, etc, so at least I have the endurance for those things...

Another reason people might neglect working their legs and think they're strong is because they don't have any idea what strong is. I've heard people on multiple occasions talking about a 250 lb bench press like it was the heaviest lift they'd ever seen, while most of us in here wouldn't think twice about it, because we've educatedourselves and see what really strong people can do.

XTrainer said:
guys like my brother.

"Nah, I don't like to do legs. Besides, I play soccer."

Lolz, I'm glad I never played soccer when I was a lad.

nopardaid said:
I just talked to my friend and he said he is going to work calves, because that's where you get your speed from.(he plays soccer)

Speaking of training in pro soccer(football), European and South American football players do not focus on weight training nearly as much as the Americans. The idea is probable to compensate for the lack of skill by being stronger.

Who let king kabuki in here?!

Yo' mama.

Speaking of training in pro soccer(football), European and South American football players do not focus on weight training nearly as much as the Americans. The idea is probable to compensate for the lack of skill by being stronger.

lol I guess what's why America is so dominant at World Cup Soccer.

King Kabuki said:
Yo' mama.

lol I guess what's why America is so dominant at World Cup Soccer.

This seems to be a running theme in a lot of American sports as compared to the rest of the world. We train the most well conditioned, strong powerful fit athletes, whilst everyone else spends their time instead on the field/pool/court honing their game skills.

Water polo and soccer come to mind...

deadlyshaolin said:
This seems to be a running theme in a lot of American sports as compared to the rest of the world. We train the most well conditioned, strong powerful fit athletes, whilst everyone else spends their time instead on the field/pool/court honing their game skills.

There is more to it than that. In Europe and S. America boys grow up playing soccer in the street. These are pickup games, no coaches or parents involved. Another thing is that pro football players in the rest of the world do not go to college, they go pro immediately after high school.

Running does make your legs stronger. Sorry. But it does. Hill sprints? Suicides?

Maybe not as strong as squating and the like but it does make you stronger than if you didn't run.

You realise that guys like joe louis used to do nother for lega but run right? And, also skip rope.

Lets take a step back here and realize that we are dealing with uneducation and lack of set goals. I used to run and train upperbody, or I trained legs and upperbody and did not run.
When you are 15 and uneducated in the subject it is not obvious at all that the two activities is possible to combine (sore legs from both) and you have neither a clue about the cns, different types of training and how you should program training from different goals. Most just fumble in the dark for a long time starting out...

I mean some people have that personality that they will read up everything they can about a subject before starting, other just start and go at random. Neither is usually good...

Evil Eye Gouger said:
No, I don't think so.

It's just how most people really think. People who do sports which stress the legs DO think that this will result in stronger legs.

I also used to think like this, before I actually tried squatting some weight.
It's funny, I heard a kid use this excuse today.

Him: "I'm a hardgainer, I can't seem to put on any weight" (after going through his diet with him, he ate practically nothing, after claming he ate all the time) thats besides the point.

Me: Do you do squats and deadlifts

Him: No I go running every day (which is probably untrue anyway)

Me: Well look how much weight you can carry in your legs, don't you think building strenght in them will add weight to your BW, nevermind help with all your lifts (explained the theory of how it may release growth hormone within the body)

Him: No, I've tried squats and they bother my traps (which were non-existant).

I must agree that the main reason people don't do squats and deads are because they are pussies. Trust me, I don't particularly enjoy them myself, but I know the benefits of doing them of huge.

My conclusion: The majority of people who don't do squats and deads are pussies (unless they have a serious injury, not a sore toe). Sadly, you can tell just by looking at people who takes the time to do them.

I love the kids with the thick arms and chest walking around the gym wearing jeans, don't ask me why, and the jeans are falling down, not because they are trying to be wiggers, but because they have no waist or ass or any muscle for that matter to hold their pants up.

FR!GGEN PUSSIES

rickdog said:
My conclusion: The majority of people who don't do squats and deads are pussies (unless they have a serious injury, not a sore toe). Sadly, you can tell just by looking at people who takes the time to do them.

Yup.

To reiterate;

rickdog said:
FR!GGEN PUSSIES

stewy37 said:
Another reason people might neglect working their legs and think they're strong is because they don't have any idea what strong is. I've heard people on multiple occasions talking about a 250 lb bench press like it was the heaviest lift they'd ever seen, while most of us in here wouldn't think twice about it, because we've educatedourselves and see what really strong people can do.

I actually think thats a really good point. A lot of people that don't progressively overload in the gym are even worse, because they seem to be so used to the same weight that anything more completely amazes them.

ruhtra said:
i dunno
if you're already heavy enough for a weightclass, lifting weights will just make u heavier.

the idea is that people have to weight train to become strong, but its not always true. some mma fighters dont lift weights at all and they fight super good (ie. josh thomson)

Thank you for reading the stickies and looking around the forum before posting. Welcome to my ignore list.

deadlyshaolin said:

I don't know if American lack of success in soccer/football can really be attributed to training emphasis. I'd always figured that it's more of an availability issue than anything else: soccer is immensely popular in a whole lot of countries, but not so much here in the United States. A highly gifted, driven athlete born and raised in, say Brazil, has a very good chance of winding up as a soccer player because it's played everywhere, the good players are famous and (relatively speaking) well paid. A gifted and driven athlete born in the United States might make it to High School before ever seeing a soccer ball, depending on where he's from, and is most likely to wind up playing football, baseball or basketball because that's where the money and the fame are around here.

I'll take your word for it on the water polo, though. :)

ruhtra said:
i dunno

Weight training could be better called 'Resistance Training' as you are putting a certain resistance against a movement you are trying to execute. Bodyweight movements are resistance movements, and you better believe that practicing takedowns, ect all day are also resistance movements. Together these two things make many athletes strong and powerful, just not so much as they could be.

Back