I sat in a 150k Home Theater last night

weich

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My fiancee and I were invited to a Christmas party. The host runs a business where he installs high end home theaters and home automation.

The home theater was in his basement. I'm guessing the room was 15' x 25'. He had two rows of stadium seating in the back. He had a 4K 3d projector and a 110" screen. The screen alone was around $4,000. It was made out of some material that rejected ambient light but accepted the light of the projector which allowed the screen to be viewed with the lights.

I don't remember the brand of the speakers but they were gold label monitors in a 5.1 setup. Each speaker had a microphone and there were 4 other microphones hidden in the room that listened to the acoustics and adjusted them as necessary.

Each seat in the theater had pressure sensors that reported back to the home's automation server. They worked in conjunction with some motion detectors that were hidden in the light bulbs. If the sensors detected that the room was empty the volume and overhead lighting would dim and then turn off automatically.

The last feature that really impressed me was how the entire setup handled the end of movies. The system would detect that the credits were playing and slowly raise the intensity of the lights. Once the credits the post credit music was turned off in the theater room and the lights in the bar(next room over) turned up and the music played there. The idea is to cause people to naturally want to get up and move to the next room.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch a movie there last night but we've been invited back for a viewing sometime soon.

All in all it was pretty damn cool. The rest of the home was automated to the gills.

I once went to a sleazy movie theater that was showing 8mm horror movies, while I was out of my mind on shrooms...

A few grams of shrooms and the texas chainsaw massacre is a scary mixture.

I think even if I was very wealthy I wouldn't have such an extravagant set up.

I think even if I was very wealthy I wouldn't have such an extravagant set up.

I think it makes a lot of sense for this homeowner. Since he is in the business of selling this equipment this is his demo area. He brings clients over to show the system and go over the possibilities. He likely had the business pay for the installation and then declared it as a business expense. Basically using accounting to get this installed in his home for "free".

Man I need to win the lottery

The rest of the house was insane too. For example the bedrooms had motion and pressure sensors as well. If the system detected that you had gotten out of bed it would raise the lights in the bedroom to 5% and the light in the bathroom to 10%. Not enough to wake the other person but enough to see. 30 seconds after you were back in bed it shut all the lights off.

sounds like quite the set up.

A few years back I went to this fairly small, mediocre house in a shitty neighborhood owned by a creepy old man who was a friend of a friend of a friend or something, and he had a fucking movie theater in his basement. On the way down the stairs there was a snack bar, then in the basement he had built stadium seating and had a huge screen with a projector booth and everything. It was fucking crazy. Every wall was lined top to bottom with DVD's and others forms of media. I think he rented it out occasionally for small parties. He had these two monsterously fat little bulldogs that were wandering around wheezing during the movie we watched. It was...an interesting experience.

I once went to a sleazy movie theater that was showing 8mm horror movies, while I was out of my mind on shrooms...

A few grams of shrooms and the texas chainsaw massacre is a scary mixture.

I saw the Exorcist like this and laughed so hard, my wife did not speak to me for days.

My fiancee and I were invited to a Christmas party. The host runs a business where he installs high end home theaters and home automation.

The home theater was in his basement. I'm guessing the room was 15' x 25'. He had two rows of stadium seating in the back. He had a 4K 3d projector and a 110" screen. The screen alone was around $4,000. It was made out of some material that rejected ambient light but accepted the light of the projector which allowed the screen to be viewed with the lights.

I don't remember the brand of the speakers but they were gold label monitors in a 5.1 setup. Each speaker had a microphone and there were 4 other microphones hidden in the room that listened to the acoustics and adjusted them as necessary.

Each seat in the theater had pressure sensors that reported back to the home's automation server. They worked in conjunction with some motion detectors that were hidden in the light bulbs. If the sensors detected that the room was empty the volume and overhead lighting would dim and then turn off automatically.

The last feature that really impressed me was how the entire setup handled the end of movies. The system would detect that the credits were playing and slowly raise the intensity of the lights. Once the credits the post credit music was turned off in the theater room and the lights in the bar(next room over) turned up and the music played there. The idea is to cause people to naturally want to get up and move to the next room.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch a movie there last night but we've been invited back for a viewing sometime soon.

All in all it was pretty damn cool. The rest of the home was automated to the gills.

You want the good news? You could do an approximation (without the fancy automation stuff) in your own house for a fraction of the cost. I have one in my place with 110" screen, also with ambient light rejection technology, a 1080p projector, and a pretty nice 5.1 setup and it cost under well under $10k.

I was going to buy a 80" tv but when I did the research I realized a projector setup would be much better. The experience of having it at home beats the theater IMO. I got my screen used which saved a lot of money (and screens last for a LONG time so buying used is no big deal at all) and got a mid-level projector.

If you want to do it on a budget, you can get a VERY decent screen and PJ setup for <$2500. You could cut the budget more but that would be around the point where you can get a very impressive setup with one of the newer DLP projectors.

Playing video games is the best part, especially local 4-player games. The experience cannot be beat.

The speakers and receiver you can get a good beginner setup for <$1000 and it will satisfy most people. For an entry-level audiophile setup, you're looking at around double that. If you can do the wiring yourself, you're set.

Check out avsforum.com for more info or feel free to ask me!

The rest of the house was insane too. For example the bedrooms had motion and pressure sensors as well. If the system detected that you had gotten out of bed it would raise the lights in the bedroom to 5% and the light in the bathroom to 10%. Not enough to wake the other person but enough to see. 30 seconds after you were back in bed it shut all the lights off.

I always have to get up 2-3 times during the night to pee and it sucks. When I get rich I'll have a pipe come out of me bed so I can pee in it and go back to sleep.

Edit: Since I am not rich right now, I suppose I can keep a bottle by my bedside but it sounds disgusting.

I've built 2 of those. Or helped build rather. Both guys were dicks. But it would be fun to own a theater like that for gaming

That's some next level shit.

You should have took a pic.

While I believe you, I'd like to see how great it really was.

You should have took a pic.

While I believe you, I'd like to see how great it really was.

To be honest I don't think the pic would do a ton of justice.

The value in the room was in the equipment, and that was concealed as much as possible. It didn't look like the crazy millionaire home theaters that look like the bat cave or anything.

Back