Social I still don't understand why slavery is blamed on white Americans

Mack Yancy

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There are some people in personal circle who I consider to be generally good people who push such an odd narrative. They say that african-americans fall behind in so many ways because of the history of white America & slavery. Even when I was younger this never made sense to me. Anyone who has read any religious text would know that slavery is neither an American or a white phenomenon. Especially when you realise that the slaves in America were sold by black Africans.

Someone I had a civil but loud argument with was trying to convince me that america was very invested in slavery because they had a civil war over it. But there within lied the contradiction. Aren't the same 'evil' white Americans the ones who fought to end slavery in that very civil war? To which the answer was an angry look and silence.

I honestly think if we are going to use the argument that slavery disadvantaged this racial group. Then the blame lies with who sold the slaves, and not who freed them.

There are some people in personal circle who I consider to be generally good people who push such an odd narrative. They say that african-americans fall behind in so many ways because of the history of white America & slavery. .
I assume you disagree with the "white america" part and not the slavery part.

there can be more then one subgroup to blame for something.
no way! but that means more stuff to fit into my poor little brain

It's just an ignorance of history with a heeping dollop of propaganda. Slavery has been around since humans have existed and slavery was actually ended in the West because of white Christians. What makes it even more ridiculous is that there is still slavery in the world and the people crying about white slavers don't care about it because it's not part of the algorithm.

If there wasn't the demand there would've been less slaves. And yes they may have been sold into slavery by other Africans, for some it was an easy way to make money. More may have gone to other countries besides the US, the other countries often didn't have laws for segregation even if society treated them differently when slavery ended.

Last edited:
There are some people in personal circle who I consider to be generally good people who push such an odd narrative. They say that african-americans fall behind in so many ways because of the history of white America & slavery. Even when I was younger this never made sense to me. Anyone who has read any religious text would know that slavery is neither an American or a white phenomenon. Especially when you realise that the slaves in America were sold by black Africans.

Someone I had a civil but loud argument with was trying to convince me that america was very invested in slavery because they had a civil war over it. But there within lied the contradiction. Aren't the same 'evil' white Americans the ones who fought to end slavery in that very civil war? To which the answer was an angry look and silence.

I honestly think if we are going to use the argument that slavery disadvantaged this racial group. Then the blame lies with who sold the slaves, and not who freed them.

<mma4>

Because they didn't invent slavery means they have no responsibility for ignoring their own founding documents and allowing slavery to legally be practiced?
What about all the Irish slaves that were brought to America before the black slaves? Also, Britain and America are the ones who ended slavery in the west. That means it cancels out according to your logic.

The fact that historical discrimination benefits/hurts people today is not a strawman. The claim that all white people today are to blame or something is, though.

Nobody said today. In the OP I mentioned the discussion in a historical context. That's why I mentioned that black Africans were the ones that sold the slaves to Americans to begin with, and the side that fought to end slavery was overwhelmingly white.

Because most people in your country don't know anything about the history
For example dumb fuck Mohammad Ali become a muslim but arabs enslavement of africans started before europeans and abolished after them
But of course i'm not blaming arabs either, slavery existed thousands of years before them too, it's a huge part of human history
Some dumb af people even think before europeans came to Americas and Africa, natives of those places were always living in peace and it was an utopia.

Back