I was wrong about Johnny walker

The problem is that the performances that caused people to jump on the Walker bandwagon were all like 2 minutes long. You don’t get to see much in such a short amount of time.

I remember during the team picks in the Ortiz/Liddell season of TUF, Ortiz went after all the guys with quick finishes and Chuck took the fighters who showed they can go a full fight without gassing. Then, as the show progressed, some of those guys with quick finishes showed that they didn’t have the stamina to go the distance.

Decision wins, or at least longer fights, are more telling of how good a fighter is. Stamina and the ability to deal with adversity are just as important as finishing ability, and you can’t gauge those things in a fight that only lasts a minute.

Proud to say i never jumped on that hype train. I knew the wheels were loose right from the get go.

So now we can't analyze the sport we watch if we are not UFC fighters?

That makes sense.

Shut the boards down.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I hate when people say shit like that. This is a fucking MMA forum, what the fuck else are you supposed to do here??

The problem is that the performances that caused people to jump on the Walker bandwagon were all like 2 minutes long. You don’t get to see much in such a short amount of time.

I remember during the team picks in the Ortiz/Liddell season of TUF, Ortiz went after all the guys with quick finishes and Chuck took the fighters who showed they can go a full fight without gassing. Then, as the show progressed, some of those guys with quick finishes showed that they didn’t have the stamina to go the distance.

Decision wins, or at least longer fights, are more telling of how good a fighter is. Stamina and the ability to deal with adversity are just as important as finishing ability, and you can’t gauge those things in a fight that only lasts a minute.

They're more important IMO.

Seems like cardio/persistence overcomes explosiveness and KO ability more often than not. See Rumble vs DC, Ngannou vs Stipe and Moraes vs Cejudo.

I get it that the explosive knockout artists are very entertaining but it's not exactly the most prominent path to victory.

Definitely wrong thought he was the next big thing to take on job boner pills jones. But his road to the title will be longer than the Costco lone for toilet paper.

no cardio, and takes a lot of damage, from this #12 ranked body name, walker maybe should have taken more time off, but he’s no the next big thing, just a 6’5 guy with dumb hair.

He still has all the potential but he lacks real fight IQ he forgoes smart fighting to be a rockstar for the crowd, once he learns to tame his jump off the stage ways and pace a fight and pick his spots to be dynamic then he'll be a real fighter, until then he'll be the Scrub fighter Killa...

Last edited:
This is why, since UFC 4, I've never bought the hype on a fighter until they've gone 5 hard rounds in that cage where everyone's convinced the other guy won the fight. I need a war. They also have to exhibit how to get up off their back. Walker looked like one of Harvey Weinstein's victims on the bottom. Smothered, demoralized, and well fucked.

Each generation is softer then the previous ie. walker, lee

(There are exceptions Of course)

no heart

The movie the replacements comes to mind

Woman Reporter: (Running to catch up with McGinty heading to the locker room for halftime)Coach, what will Washington need to get back into this game?
Jimmy McGinty: (pause) You've got to have heart.
Woman Reporter: Can you elaborate?
Jimmy McGinty: (striking his chest with his roll of papers)Miles and miles of heart.
Woman Reporter: (comes to a halt) So with a word, Coach McGinty says Washington will need to have heart to get back into this ball game.

People are so fired up against him as he did not entertain that he'll be a safe bet on his next fight.

No matter against who, his stonks will be ridiculously low.

He has that Cobra Kai defense mentality:
“the best defense is more offense”

Very entertaining, but not the best long term approach at the highest level of mma.

Krylov is one of the best fighters in the world though.

He's an absolute beast.

I think Johnny should have asked for an easier fight after Corey Anderson

Definitely wrong thought he was the next big thing to take on job boner pills jones. But his road to the title will be longer than the Costco lone for toilet paper.

no cardio, and takes a lot of damage, from this #12 ranked body name, walker maybe should have taken more time off, but he’s no the next big thing, just a 6’5 guy with dumb hair.
I had lots of hope that this guy would rejuvenate the whole division when he burst onto the scene with so much bang.

Thought this guy was a sniper and something really special. Needless to say, cardio is sub-par, got major deficiencies in head movement and defense, movement gets odd and fight IQ goes out the window when things get ugly...this guy looks very uncalculated overall, although, to his defense, Corey Anderson really took the fight to him, and so did Krylov, as he always does.

Not saying he won't have success going forward, but yeah that hype train has derailed for me. Some kind of modern day Houston Alexander or something. That being said, Krylov is TERRIBLY underrated, there is no shame in losing to him. I'm very excited about Krylov since he moved down to LHW (and thought it was ridiculous when the UFC let him go at some point). That guy does it all, and does it well.

It probably was good for Walker's career to go 3 full rounds in a gruelling fight, though. His first 3 fights ended in the blink of an eye.

Meh, it's LHW

That division is such an abysmally shallow shit show he could be fighting for the title in 12 months

He is very chinny, that is not something you can fix in a gym or improve on and its a vital part of fighting if you want to go far!!

The only thing he can do in regards too this is try to tighten up his defense and be more careful, not a lot else he can do about it.

Krylov is one of the best fighters in the world though.

He's an absolute beast.

I think Johnny should have asked for an easier fight after Corey Anderson

That's true, man. Krylov is INCREDIBLY underrated. He can do it all, whether on the feet or on the ground. Great submissions, good clinch work, powerful kicks and punches...Truly one of the dark horses in that division.

J-Dubbs was dominating until the other fella tried to a acvid a fight, and did the most shameless panic lay n play display seen in many years
Oh, you mean he fought with a gameplan? How dare he? I have no problems with Walker, but you can't blame a vet who fights smart.

He is very chinny, that is not something you can fix in a gym or improve on and its a vital part of fighting if you want to go far!!

The only thing he can do in regards too this is try to tighten up his defense and be more careful, not a lot else he can do about it.
He needs to work on head movement, big time. But you're right, it's a fight, he'll get hit at some point, unless he manages to do what he did in his first 3 UFC fights, quick KOs without much of an exchange at all.

He doesn't seem to react too well to being hit.

Each generation is softer then the previous ie. walker, lee

(There are exceptions Of course)

no heart

The movie the replacements comes to mind

Woman Reporter: (Running to catch up with McGinty heading to the locker room for halftime)Coach, what will Washington need to get back into this game?
Jimmy McGinty: (pause) You've got to have heart.
Woman Reporter: Can you elaborate?
Jimmy McGinty: (striking his chest with his roll of papers)Miles and miles of heart.
Woman Reporter: (comes to a halt) So with a word, Coach McGinty says Washington will need to have heart to get back into this ball game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back