I would like to lose weight but dont want to burn out from over running 3 or 4 days a weeks

It just takes too much time of repetition. As does all paced cardio. Bought a treadmill, never use it. Bought an elliptical, sold it. Bought a Concept row machine, never use it. Put a pool in, cardio just isn't the same swimming. Weight training just has endless variation and 20 years later still get excited to go to gym 6 days a week.
You gotta find out what is best for you. It's what you can fit into your routine and actually enjoy it.

I fell in love with biking by commuting to work on my bike. It's 35 mins going in and about 45 mins coming back... a lot of fresh air, some sun and fun.
Plus living in a big city biking is the fastest way to go from one place to another so it makes a lot of sense. I use it quite a bit on the weekends too.

I don't think I could do nearly as much cardio indoors. It's just boring.

Exercising is the closest thing to a childs game these days for me. So I try to make it fun be it on a bike or lifting weights. Yeah... training should be fun.

Awesome you are still excited going to the gym. You can't ask for much more.

TS is asking advices on how to lose weight by running. I don't think he has a NFL full of PEDs athlete body composition to start with.

But the rest is a matter of semantics. Let me explain myself:

Obese means over 25% of bodyfat for men and over 33% for women. That is a medical definition regardless of what people think or use the word for.
You are referring to "morbidly" obese that is another definition and I think it's above 40% bodyfat on men (I can't remember). I never said TS is morbidly obese... he could be but I don't know.

And yes.. BMI calculators are bullshit since they only take into consideration the height and weight. LOL.
I'm 5'8 and 135lbs at around 10/12% BF (I'm really lean right now, have a small frame and just a little bit of muscle).
If I only add fat I would be technically obese at 155lbs (and the worst looking skinny fat in the world).

Yeah well obviously I agree about TS considering the guy made the topic and says he's in between fat and obese. I'm just saying he's probably not actually obese.

I've never heard of it being defined by BF%, but I've always seen it defined by BMI. I could be wrong there but that's what I was going off of and what wikipedia says.

Even going by a BMI calculator, 5'7 200lbs is "31.3" and barely qualifies as obese. That's based on BMI which we agree on is trash.

Idk it really depends man, it sounds to me like you're just someone who's very lean and likes being lean and smaller. Trust me, from personal experience of pretty much walking around very lean for years at ~135-155lbs myself when I was like 16-20 years old. I know, I used to care a lot about having a "6-pack" and being "ripped" in my own mind, psychologically I really didn't want to gain any fat.

So I think I understand where you're coming from, but I really just can't call someone like Frank Mir for example, obese. He's not. Even if the BMI says he's actually super obese, or his BF% might be 20-27% too. He's just not.

Now maybe TS is obese, because we don't actually even have a clue. There's no pictures, there's no BF% estimate given or lean mass. But I'm just saying someone could be this height/weight, and not just pro athletes or BBs, and not be freaking obese lol. Even at 25% BF someone would probably just look like a tank, like Matt Serra. Not like the typical walmart scooter shopper. So I guess it's based on your interpretation of the word obese here, because BMI and medical definitions aren't always "good". The FDA doesn't always have good recommendations for example, in fact a lot of them are fucking terrible.

Since i my shoulder got better i could lift/use heavy kettlebells along with ly jiu jitsu training.

Ever since i started back in my strength training my 5k/3mile runs have stopped being refreshing but rather taxing. I figured its a combination of me rolling harder, lifting heavier, and the seasons making me lethargic.

I decided to chill on the runs for a week or two until my body adjusr back to my strength training. Because runs used to feel like recovery but now it just feels like one more workout.

10 miles every day but Sunday. 73 in 200 lbs. Can't eat enough anyway. Takes all the guesswork out. Easy living.

I would get incredibly bored running two hours a day, but to each their own. I live in Louisiana and running outside is miserable here. It would have to be on a treadmill.

I would get incredibly bored running two hours a day, but to each their own. I live in Louisiana and running outside is miserable here. It would have to be on a treadmill.

Phoenix. 110+ easy. Noon runs out here on the steeets. I was the only guy out there this summer. Miserable is the point. Lots dont get it.

I mean do you lift, train a combat sport ect allng with running that much a day.

Yes. I don't go to BJJ these days because I'm in AZ and everyone a nasty slobbering pig covered in COVID. But I do lots of calisthenics and stretching.

Last edited:
take it slow. give up soda, cut out the chips, pasta, white rice, bread, and french fries. start with weight training, and be consistent. add light cardio as you progress. this is a life style change, not a 1 month diet.

You are absolutely correct, no sarcasm, it’s the BMR (not to be confused with BMI). However, this is a very long way to lose weight. It would take you approximately 10 days to lose 1-2 pounds and this is assuming that you are always in a 500-800 calorie deficit and let’s face it no one wants to starve themselves for months just to get to their desired weight.

A lot of the good stuff, like the big breakfast, the occasional steaks and pizzas, ice cream and something as simple as cereal will have to be minimized. If you simply train an hour per day you could burn an extra 500-700 calories not to mention that you would build muscle and lean out.

You don't "starve yourself for months", you eat at a slight deficit (300 cals or so) to slowly trim down. I'd recommend half an hour of fasted cardio upon waking and a resistance workout later in the day 5-6 times a week (cardio every day). Eat a high protein diet, cut out all empty cals (sugar, junk food etc), use artificial sweetener to handle sugar cravings and fill your stomach with low calorie dense foods.

Once the weight loss stops you have two choices, if you want to eat the same amount of food increase cardio duration. If you can't be bothered to do more than 30 mins fasted then cut cals.

Start with lifting weights. After six months of strength training if you still don't like your appearance you can add cardio by going on walks. Lifting weights will add muscle. Having muscle mass burns calories even when you aren't actively working out. It takes calories just to maintain muscle. Being strong is useful. From a physical appearance standpoint being fat with muscle looks better than being skinny fat. Clean up your diet and remove processed junk food like chips, crackers, cookies, and soda. Don't eat TV dinners or frozen pizzas. Eat real food.

Squat, deadlift, press and/or bench press. Heavy compound movements will get you strong and burn calories.
Weight training is definitely the best way to lose fat. Also your body is burning calories all day after a weight lifting workout because your recovery costs fuel.

Brother from the boot.
Between June and Sept you have to run with a snorkel due to humidity. It adds over a minute per mile trying to breath in water vapor. Good thing about it being 50-60 degrees in December here, you can still run in shorts.

Since i my shoulder got better i could lift/use heavy kettlebells along with ly jiu jitsu training.

Ever since i started back in my strength training my 5k/3mile runs have stopped being refreshing but rather taxing. I figured its a combination of me rolling harder, lifting heavier, and the seasons making me lethargic.

I decided to chill on the runs for a week or two until my body adjusr back to my strength training. Because runs used to feel like recovery but now it just feels like one more workout.

It's my lower back that feels it more than anything when it comes to lifting.

I'm pushing 38 soon so the squats, deads and trying to run a decent 9 miler add up.

Burn out is real. Story time, happening currently. I've been doing powerlifting type, long rest periods, compound movements for the 7 months. My bench press max got up to 405lb for a set of 2reps. Body weight of 218lb. With some breaks in between those months. Started playing an hour of basketball everyday and switched to a bodybuilding type split to recover my joints since they were pretty wrecked. My bench press now after a month is probably a full 60lbs less. Every other lift is down the same percentage too. I'm down 18lbs in bodyweight. Moral of the story overtraining is real. Right now I'm not worried about it since my joints are feeling good and my body weight is going down. Also I've been taking a 300mg of test a week during all of this, and pretty much still managed to burn out my CNS and overtrain for a month straight. Definitely if strength loss persist another month I will take a week or two off/active recovery and refeed before I did a hole of over training that you have to stop working out for months to recover from.

Back