*IF* Alex Pereira fights at heavyweight in 3 weeks in Brazil, who should it be against?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. Big if. Probably sub 5%. Poatan would accept any fight the UFC offered, but it would be a major high risk low reward for any heavyweight to take on short notice. But lets have fun and see if there's a potential guy out there?

Aspinall or Jones is out of the question with how short time frame it is and promotion and prep, it'd have to be something like Anderson Silva moving up to fight Forest Griffin. Pavlovich could be fun as it's the best power in heavyweight vs the LHW powerhouse. Gane for kickboxer vs kickboxer and neither having to worry about their grappling. Those two the risk would be so high if they lose to a LHW I don't see them accepting since both must think one good win away from another titleshot.

I'd rather see Alex have his wrestling tested at LHW by Magomed rather than Blaydes or Almedia. UFC absolutely loves sacrificing Volkov, and Volkov always seems up for it, so maybe just let him play the Forest Griffin role?

My votes Volkov, if Volkov is up for the short notice risk in enemy territory. (wait shit, he's scheduled against Pavlovich in June. back to the drawing board). Rozenstruik?

Tuivasa or Lewis would be game to take a fight against Alex on a few weeks notice

No one else really at HW would take that fight on a few weeks notice unless the UFC opened their wallet

The highly touted UK heavyweight prospect Mick Parkin.

Not interested in seeing him against anybody except Aspinall or Jones. No point in potentially putting the LHW division on hold just to fight some mediocre guy with a 30 pound weight advantage.

It wouldn't really be on hold if the fight's in 3 weeks. Alex could still defend the LHW belt in late summer/early fall like he's most likely going to now.

Injury chance isn't that much more than any other training chance

He has a broken toe, he's not fighting.
He fought with the broken toe, didn’t he? That’s what one thread said. Broke it 2 weeks before the fight.

If that’s all true. Then he can certainly fight if he wants to.

It wouldn't really be on hold if the fight's in 3 weeks. Alex could still defend the LHW belt in late summer/early fall like he's most likely going to now.

Injury chance isn't that much more than any other training chance

If he gets knocked out badly, he'll be out for a good while, and might never be the same again.

The reason why most guys don't step up to the HW division is because all those 250+ pound guys hit hard and can put your lights out with one punch. Or they'll just grapple you to the ground, lay on you and beat the crap out of you on the ground. No skill whatsoever, but size matters.

I want to see him KO Gane. I think that's a very winnable fight for Pereira.

If he gets knocked out badly, he'll be out for a good while, and might never be the same again.

The reason why most guys don't step up to the HW division is because all those 250+ pound guys hit hard and can put your lights out with one punch. Or they'll just grapple you to the ground, lay on you and beat the crap out of you on the ground. No skill whatsoever, but size matters.
It's not like the UFC is going to give Alex a fight at HW right now anyway. He's too valuable at 205 and still hasn't peaked. Not to mention why would they risk him getting KO'ed now when they can build toward a fight with Aspinall or Gane later on down the line? Possibly even Jon if he plans on sticking around. I can't see Dana even etertaining the idea of him moving up until the Jon/Aspinall and Stipe shit is sorted out first.

Back