If Jon Jones beats Stipe, Aspinall, and Almeida - Would you consider him the greatest MMA fighter?

Would you consider him the greatest?

• I have no idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
(That's if assuming Almeida beats Blaydes)

I think he clearly cements his legacy as the GOAT if he gets that kind of run.

Coming from a huge Fedor fan I would concede his greatness indeed.

licensed-image

It's kind of a pointless hypothetical, he won't.

And Jailton Almeida? Dude has done nothing to even deserve even being put on here. He wouldn't be a signature win for Jones at all. He has 2 wins over non cans in his whole career to this point.

It's kind of a pointless hypothetical, he won't.

And Jailton Almeida? Dude has done nothing to even deserve even being put on here. He wouldn't be a signature win for Jones at all. He has 2 wins over non cans in his whole career to this point.

Who would you like to see Jones fight to elevate his legacy? Can't be Ngannou for obvious reasons, but that would be #1.

Jon Jones could lose to Stipe, Tai Tuivasa,and drop down and lose to Paddy Pimblett and I would still consider him the greatest. Some losses at 36 won't erase his past accomplishments
True. But people have recency bias and if the losses are bad, it can undermine his legacy. Jones knows this and is playing it smart. Khabib knew it. Conor pretended to know it, but his ego messed it up.

Fedor: Undefeated from 2000 to 2009 (9 years), 31 wins over that time, 8 title wins, 1 weight class
Jones: Undefeated from 2008 to 2023 (15 years), 27 wins over that time, 15 title wins, 2 weight classes

Jones is already the greatest. A couple of extra wins might make it harder for others to top the achievement, but he certainly doesn't need them for the GOAT title.

True. But people have recency bias and if the losses are bad, it can undermine his legacy. Jones knows this and is playing it smart. Khabib knew it. Conor pretended to know it, but his ego messed it up.
That's true, it would affect how his legacy is viewed to an extent if he loses. Just about an hour ago I saw a thread about how Jose Aldo was overrated and they brought up his late losses. Jones would lose his invincibility aura for sure

But I think the majority of people would understand father time is undefeated. Ferguson, BJ Penn, Fedor, Silva, Aldo all have pretty incredible legacies despite many losses.

Recency bias was the only reason people considered Conor great in the first place. He had a big mouth and flashy wins, but never defended a belt.

Ronda has a better legacy than Conor, and Ronda's trash.

Fedor: Undefeated from 2000 to 2009 (9 years), 31 wins over that time, 8 title wins, 1 weight class
Jones: Undefeated from 2008 to 2023 (15 years), 27 wins over that time, 15 title wins, 2 weight classes

Jones is already the greatest. A couple of extra wins might make it harder for others to top the achievement, but he certainly doesn't need them for the GOAT title.
Jones simply has the best resume, best legacy and best personality in the sport. There's just no debating it

Who would you like to see Jones fight to elevate his legacy? Can't be Ngannou for obvious reasons, but that would be #1.
Current HW is quite barren.

Not in talent, but in legacy and accomplishments. Most of the guys that would improve Jones's standing within the sport are retired, or fighting in lesser organisations because they're old and washed.

Aspinall is interesting because he's the most talented heavyweight we've seen. He's at the top end, size wise. He's faster than anyone at that weight and even the next couple of weightclasses below too. Elite striker, bjj Black belt. He's destroyed 4 of the current top 10 in 8 minutes combined. Thats why people want to see that fight.

Almeida, while he might pose problems for Jones, skill wise, he hasn't done anything in the division yet. He was fed a bunch of cans and then the two biggest names that have no grappling, and still managed to stink the joint up with one of those gift fights.

Recency bias was the only reason people considered Conor great in the first place. He had a big mouth and flashy wins, but never defended a belt.

Ronda has a better legacy than Conor, and Ronda's trash.
Debatable. If Conor withdrew after the Mayweather fight he would remain the greatest shit ever in the eyes of the casuals. Get in, get rich, get out. Obviously, compared to the true greats (accomplishment-wise) he is miles behind, but who cares about that. It’s the casuals who spend money and it’s the casuals and media who form the public opinion.

Debatable. If Conor withdrew after the Mayweather fight he would remain the greatest shit ever in the eyes of the casuals. Get in, get rich, get out. Obviously, compared to the true greats (accomplishment-wise) he is miles behind, but who cares about that. It’s the casuals who spend money and it’s the casuals and media who form the public opinion.
Yeah I remember reading the PBP threads for UFC 194 and 205 recently and people were calling him GOAT back then. He should have retired then or after the Mayweather fight. The late losses fucked his legacy in a big way, and on this forum he is seen as a joke most the time. It doesn't help that he is a polarizing and controversial figure so people are more harsh and critical of him

Yeah I remember reading the PBP threads for UFC 194 and 205 recently and people were calling him GOAT back then. He should have retired then or after the Mayweather fight. The late losses fucked his legacy in a big way, and on this forum he is seen as a joke most the time. It doesn't help that he is a polarizing and controversial figure so people are more harsh and critical of him
Yup. Khabib is proof people will call you GOAT if you retire early enough.

Win the belt against Iaquinta who isn't even a contender let alone the champion, defend a few times and duck out before you age and start losing, and people will say the fact that you never lost makes you the best ever.

Back