If Jones is unbeatable at HW, why did he fight at LHW for so long?

He felt bad for DC and let him have it, the LHW Division was a lot deeper and stronger at the time.

Was waiting on Izzy to move up but Izzy didn't want that smoke.
<JonesLaugh>

The guy has been unbeatable the whole time, boys. The fuck?

Before last night Gane was a prodigy, the most skilled striker ever at HW. Now he was never that good. Francis would get the same treatment. Every opponent Jon has faced has been the one that will end the legacy 15+ times. Sorry folks Jon is the best there ever was.

Ngannou is good at defending takedowns. And he packs a punch which would make Jones more hesitant.

But the threat of a take down would allow jones the ability to dictate the fight and where the fight goes. Ngannou would still have to fare with jones grappling and he is slower, and less elusive than Gane. He is also a boxer with limited kicking, which plays into jones standup. Gane himself said Jones was very strong at HW. Along with exceptional top control and cage grappling, I don’t see it.

Outside of Ngannou freakish strength, which is what I see as the excuse for it to be different. His grappling is not much better. He could knock jones out with one punch but that is it.

Last edited:
But the threat of a take down would allow jones the ability to dictate the fight and where the fight goes. Ngannou would still have to fare with jones grappling and he is slower, and less elusive than Gane.

That's correct, but Ngannou didn't seem that bothered by Stipe's takedown attempts in their second match, although of course Stipe is not as scary a grappler as Jones. But a difference is that Jones himself would be less aggressive than against Gane, being wary of Francis' power.

He is also a boxer with limited kicking, which plays into jones standup.

I actually don't think that matters much, boxing is Jones' weakness in the stand-up anyway. Gus and DC both had a lot of success against Jones via their boxing.

Back