If Prime Naseem Hamed was in the UFC, he would be undefeated GOAT!

Didn't Barrera already beat Hamed in an MMA match?

It's always a bit lazy when people say because Naz lost to Barrera he was never any good. You can see in that fight there is nowhere near the usual spring in his step/movement and, whilst Barrera fought a perfect fight in always being in range and never letting him setup his big shots it can't be coincidence that Naz trainer Brendon Ingle said he was saying things like "why do I need to run, I'm not a runner".

Speaking in purely boxing terms the fact he never really came back from that one loss means he's probably nowhere near any kind of GOAT status. That said that doesn't mean the fact he was said to hit like a middle weight and threw shots from unusual angles didn't make him entertaining as hell!

On topic I've always thought if a boxer were to successfully transition to MMA it would need to be someone with ridiculous power who had good movement and didn't overly rely on a side on stance. Good in fighting/clinch work would also help. TBH in his prime he was such a freak of nature that he could probably have excelled in any sport he wanted to.

His boxing style is actually great for MMA with the low hand to help with the take down, but Prince would still have a ton of work to do on grappling to stop the shot from a high level wrestler. He was certainly an electric fighter tho.

Back