if Volk loses to Topuria, it could be the first time CKB has no current champ

JAL

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Crazy how depending on how Volk vs Topuria goes, it could be the first time CKB has no current champions since 2019
crazy-how-depending-on-how-volk-vs-topuria-goes-it-could-be-v0-5nw09nqt5nwb1.png

Hand sanitizer boy? Come on lad, this is a waste of a thread. There is zero chance.
There's a good chance when you consider Topuria's wrestling and power. It's reasonable to say the guy has more power in his hands than Islam.

If volk gets a full camp, you got figure he is the favorite. His all around skills are better than topuria and just because he got caught up a weight class while coming off surgery and the couch on short notice, I don’t think any of his skills have deteriorated significantly in last 6 months. Topuria has faster hands than volk and probably more power, but outside of that I don’t see any other advantage he has over volk. And the experience in title fights and his elite fight iq are a huge advantage for volk. So unless his chin is now cracked which we don’t know, I am favoring volk.

Topuria is dangerous, but I would say his gas tank may be questionable. He may blow his wad early, volk is a very intelligent fighter and will take his time and win/beat him in the championship rounds.

To paraphrase Hawthorne, "Gyms are always rising and falling in MMA". 15-20 years ago it was Miletich Fighting Systems and Chute Boxe, 10-15 years ago it was Jackson-Winklejohn, Nova Uniao, and ATT, 5-10 years ago it was Wittman/Grudge, etc. They all produced champions that seemed unbeatable, and then time/competition caught up with them. Many other gyms seemed to hold promise only to continuously fail to bring home a belt and/or hold onto it - Blackzillians and post-WEC Team Alpha Male come to mind (though to be fair, Cody did look amazing in the Cruz fight, and Dillashaw was one foot still in Alpha Male when he gog together with Ludwig to go on his title run).

I might fall flat on my face here but at least on paper, Volk is ahead in every department.

Topuria is good but his competition hasn't yet convinced me. Mitchell and Emmet were tailor-made matchups imo. Volk is a tricky fight given his movement, shot selection and overall IQ (which disappeared when he took the rematch lol).

Whats interesting though is Volk rebounding from a finish, a cracked ego, a cracked chin, a possible fast turn-around weight cut, etc. No doubt the circumstances all favor Topuria right now.

As always, we'll see what happens.

I think volk wins, but he should not be as big as favorite as he was for the firat scheduled fight. Getting finished like that change things dramatically

Back