If you Could Pick One Gym in the World to Train No-Gi Where would it be?

after reading this thread, im convinced. 10th planet it is!

most places with high-level no-gi training are...places that also have gi classes.

I agree with this. But he whole no-gi vs. gi debate is trivial, in my opinion. A person can benefit from doing both. Gi slows down the game and forces practitioners to develop a more technical style, while no-gi speeds it back up

MG, Drysdale, and Popovich would be my top three no gi.

A fact? Really now. Explain then how a Gi-trained BJ GSP lost via armbar to a strictly no-gi, blue/purple belt level Matt Hughes who was always a 'no-gi 4 lyfe' douche.

Explain, in a grappling context how Randy Couture competed to a draw with Jacare, easily an elite-level gi-trained grappler who routinely defeats Judo/wrestling trained guys? Randy has never trained in a gi.

Beyond that how specifically does the gi make you better at anything except the gi tournaments/competition?

I think training in Gi helps you with improving your technique for defense. You are less likely to be able to just rip out of submissions.

Xande and Roger are excellent at No Gi, they should be on anyone's list. And re the no gi debate, as an example Xande took his gi off about a week or 2 before no gi worlds, and his fight with Lister and performed at a world class level, otherwise he trains all of the time in the gi.

Xande and Roger are excellent at No Gi, they should be on anyone's list. And re the no gi debate, as an example Xande took his gi off about a week or 2 before no gi worlds, and his fight with Lister and performed at a world class level, otherwise he trains all of the time in the gi.

That still doesn't prove that the gi made any difference. All that demonstrates is that training makes you better.

Maybe it does help. But why?

Marcelo says it has to do with being able to get away with stuff in nogi. In nogi, you can slip out of holds or bad positions too easily. You will get into bad habits believing you'll just be able to slip out of them. Whereas in gi, if you make a mistake, the grips and gi friction will keep you there and you'll learn not to make that mistake again.

Of all the explanations I've heard of why gi is good, this one makes the most sense to me.

lol, 2 nobodies who know shit and their opinions that mean absolute shit.

I will stick to the ADCC winners who say how training in gi helps your game.

come back after you win adcc and maybe i can give half a shit.

638px-Badass_over_here_zps24b41c8c.jpg

In LA don't forget:

JJ Machado.
Cobrinha.

I have a friend at Cobrinha's (they trained a few placed prior) and he tells me the no-gi training there is absolutely top notch and unlike anywhere he's ever been.

I don't know what to think about this thread. The answer to this is probably the same answer for the question, "where is the best place to train jiu-jitsu"?

I hate to harp on this, but the best jiu-jitsu is where the best jiu-jitsu is. While gi and no-gi have differences, it's all jiu-jitsu. These days if you go to any top academy you're going to get the best instruction. Sure, we can discuss all these little minute things (that will largely be opinion) about whether or not the no-gi classes are better at Cobrinha's or Atos, but I think that's missing the point. You're not going to go train with Marcelo Garcia and get good training in one but not the other.

Frankly, I don't really know of any no-gi only schools, besides 10th Planet. I don't know a ton of gi only schools either. Most places in 2013 do both, either broken up during the week or gi classes during gi season and no-gi during no-gi season, etc.

To play along and answer the original question, I would love to train no-gi with MG, Cobrinha, AOJ, Atos, 50/50, Jeff Glover's spot in San Diego, RMNU (Robson Moura)...anywhere where there's high level instruction and tough, skilled training partners.

??? 10th Planet does gi.

Is it some affiliates that also offer go classes? Their main school does no gi exclusively right? I thought that guys like Denny Prokopos, Scott Epstein, and Sean Bollinger only taught no gi as well?

Hearing that 10th planet does go training is kind of shocking. But if you're saying they do both I think that's cool.

I think some of the moon's train gi as well. I've trained gi with their brown belts

Marcelo says it has to do with being able to get away with stuff in nogi. In nogi, you can slip out of holds or bad positions too easily. You will get into bad habits believing you'll just be able to slip out of them. Whereas in gi, if you make a mistake, the grips and gi friction will keep you there and you'll learn not to make that mistake again.

Of all the explanations I've heard of why gi is good, this one makes the most sense to me.

I've heard this. It's the most valid point I've heard for pro gi. But on the flip side, I would challenge that the extra friction of the gi, also makes completing submissions easier. Thus repressing the killer instinct and sense of timing one needs to finish subsno-gi.

Id have to pick 10th Planet Los Angeles. Learn from the master Eddie Bravo himself. Not to mention learning Kickboxing from Kathy Long (I know some may frown on learning from a woman, but I think I will take my chances) She is a beast. Its an honor to have them both under the same roof. I can't wait to start training there.

Best place to train nogi is where you find gi.

Rafa Mendez and Andre Galvao started training nogi exclusive a month prior of their ADCC matches. Other than that they train in a GI exclusively.

Back