If you train consistently for 4-6 days a week is purple at 3 years legit ?

im a white belt i refuse to pay 30 bucks for a belt test. BTW i train in a gym for judo and bjj. does ayone else have to pay for belt tests it really is a waste of time and money

i don't know about "tests"(judo does have kata tho) but yes it is commonplace, bring cash since Brazilians don't have pockets

Entirely depends on the case. I actually think it is entirely possible to be a legit blackbelt (much less purple belt) after 3 years of training - I know that's heresy around here, but there are some really REALLY crazy outliers out there - guys like Marcelo Garcia who trained 6 hours a day 7 days per week and who were absolute monsters in no time. It won't be the norm obviously Some people learn way faster than others too.

Particularly guys with prior grappling background can be expected to fly up through the belts quicker, since they started with significant grappling skills already and just fill in the gaps.

As always, years is a terrible measure of progression. Mat time is a much better gauge.
10000% agree. It's the IBJJF's fault for putting year minimums on their belt progression - that has created a counter-intuitive view of progression.

Are you referring to dropping total techniques taught per position vs plethora of techniques randomly taught in some places? Breadth vs Depth?

Yes definitely dropping the total techniques but emphasizing them more fully so that they will be as effective as possible out of the box. For example, if I'm teaching a brand new white belt how to hold the low mount and use the ezekiel to transition to high mount (a classic Roger Gracie sequence) then by the time we move on I'm expecting that he will be able to hit this move (in isolation) on a fully resisting purple belt. That's how I'm structuring my teaching-- how to make the move work immediately and forever against common defense. So already after 4 days of attendance I know that my brand new white belt is a purple belt at one specific thing, and so then the next 4 days he can become a purple belt at another thing, and so on.

Last edited:
10000% agree. It's the IBJJF's fault for putting year minimums on their belt progression - that has created a counter-intuitive view of progression.

And of course via human nature what tends to happen is that an average instructor looks at the minimum for belt progression and adjusts his own unwritten timeline on top of it: "1 year minimum is for the unicorn types who win world class medals, 2 year is for the most dedicated students who win local medals, 3 years is for the average hardworking student, etc."

Do you submit other purple belts? Congrats, your a legit purple belt. Do you lose to all the other purple belts? Don't worry, you'll actually be a legit purple belt in a year or two.

Isn't this the easiest way to tell?

If you've won a few competitions at blue belt, you may be ready for a purple.

My son (youth) was in a tournament recently and we watched a yellow belt beat a green belt. Green belt was heavier too.

You definitely don't want to be promoted too early.

We had two guys dominating at blue belt but the coach wanted them to try bigger comps (worlds, adcc qualifiers...) and he kind of sandbagging for a year or so. Would have been promoted to purple belt after 3 years if he wasn't saving them for competition.
Nice to see someone with first hand knowledge actually admit that coaches delay promotions in the interest of sandbagging. To me it is the biggest problem in BJJ tournaments today.

i don't know about "tests"(judo does have kata tho) but yes it is commonplace, bring cash since Brazilians don't have pockets
yes and belts dont pay the bills the teacher professor of the school is using your belt money on bills

Back