IG Bodybuilder (Justyn Vicky) fails a Squat and dies from neck injury

Scerpi

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Unbelievably, the video is still up on Twitter (and I guess Youtube).

Not posting it, you can search it if you want... I didn't watch the entire thing. I stopped it right when he started to fail the rep and it was immediately obvious the spotter had no clue what he was doing.

I've seen many gym fails of people bailing badly on squats and I always cringe when I see them, thinking of how close they came to hurting their back or neck. Only heard of a couple instances of someone dying from failing a squat though. The woman screwing up a smith machine box squat on a bench recently... yikes. Wish I hadn't seen that.

For me, I always squat with the safety bars below if I'm going heavy. Rarely use a spotter due to the awkwardness of it.

Any experiences with someone you know really hurting themselves bad on a squat (or other lift).

100 questions may not have the answer. He was experienced , it wasn't some weekend lifter going for an ego max.

Was he shot for the day? legs fatigued? Thought he could lean back and toss it while sitting ?
400+ is still a load on your body to keep stable with, even if it's warm up range for the beast in these parts.

I couldn't watch the end part... Well, didn't want to.

Why couldn't he just bail the lift? Did it come forward and trap his neck?

Might have been worried about injuring his spotter if he dumped the bar. Who I've been told was his father, although that wasn't confirmed.

IIRC, there's a multi-page thread on this in the Mayberry, for some reason.

100 questions may not have the answer. He was experienced , it wasn't some weekend lifter going for an ego max.

Was he shot for the day? legs fatigued? Thought he could lean back and toss it while sitting ?
400+ is still a load on your body to keep stable with, even if it's warm up range for the beast in these parts.

I'm not familiar with how much he has squatted in the past but it looked like he was nowhere near being able to come back up with that. Looked super sketchy on the way down even.

Looking at it again the spotter may have fucked him on that one a bit. Kind of kept the bar locked from him being able to get it off backwards. Or maybe he didn't even try to drop it backwards and had no idea how to bail a squat and that's what it became.

Last edited:
I watched it 20 times atleast, i might be not very bright but to me it didnt seem that bad...yeah the bar pulled his neck down abit... only thing that was wierd was how his hands seemed to go stiff resembling a mma knockout abit. But yeah i wouldnt have thought that it was fatal from just the video

Back