Media Ilia Topuria: "Fighting Brian Ortega Makes MORE Sense, Max Can WAIT w/o BMF Belt"

The champ dictates, Max is flavour of the month but he's still 3-0 vs Volk with the 3rd fight being an absolute drubbing, put the BMF on the line son.

Then I’m sure a real BMF also doesn’t care about putting it on the line.

Max won't but everyone knows it's the UFC that decides who gets to fight for it, not the one that holds it. It's obviously not a title that you defend in the way a real title is defended.

Then I’m sure a real BMF also doesn’t care about putting it on the line.

Yeah but you still have to qualify for that fight. Topuria hasn’t done enough to warrant that title, but that’s completely subjective

Would watch for sure. T City has proven his metal.

Dude is nails. TCity needs to put on a BJJ clinic to win this one and refrain from standup since he gets hit so much typically.

No fighter deserves an instant rematch. If max was the warrior that he claims and weight don’t matter blah blah blah. Why will he not put the BMF belt on the line?

Ortega is a bum but if Max is too scared to lose his jewelry than he does not deserve the fight.
What planet is Ortega a 'bum'?

nuckin futs my guy

Ortega is a big reason why FW is such a legendary division. Im not trying to ride his nuts but I really don't understand the disrespect Ortega gets on the regular. Outside of the injuries, He's been nothing shy of a solid company guy. He isn't that far off from Champ material too.

Yeah but you still have to qualify for that fight. Topuria hasn’t done enough to warrant that title, but that’s completely subjective
He just shut the lights out on a guy who Max couldn’t beat in 15 rounds of trying, among others. He already has more brutal knockouts in the UFC than Max does.

He just shut the lights out on a guy who Max couldn’t beat in 15 rounds of trying, among others. He already has more brutal knockouts in the UFC than Max does.

Yeah but beating a guy doesn’t automatically qualify you. It’s about your attitude towards fighting, taking all comers whenever wherever, which is exactly what Topuria is refusing to do. Max moved up to fight Khabib of all people on short notice. Topuria moving up to fight Max at LW would maybe qualify him for the BMF. Not if Max has to move down again though

Yeah but beating a guy doesn’t automatically qualify you. It’s about your attitude towards fighting, taking all comers whenever wherever, which is exactly what Topuria is refusing to do. Max moved up to fight Khabib of all people on short notice. Topuria moving up to fight Max at LW would maybe qualify him for the BMF. Not if Max has to move down again though
I don’t know, to me it sound all very subjective, Like you just made the rules up on the spot.

I don’t know, to me it sound all very subjective, Like you just made the rules up on the spot.

BMF by definition is subjective though, but the majority of fans should really be in agreement as to who should be holding / fighting for it. That’s where its validity comes from, the opinions of people who watch these guys fight decide who goes for it. It is pretty flawed in itself though.. like some people may think Chito giving up his first few pay checks to pay for his disabled daughters medical care puts him at the top of the list, Coleman saving his parents from a house fire at 60 yrs old.. obviously Coleman can’t fight anymore, but the point is that many aspects are at play, it’s not just about your record

Honestly I think the BMF belt needs to be protected and kept legitimate. It’s one of the only ways to keep the UFC brass in check with their matchmaking. We as the fans all decide who goes in for it, they can’t just tell us who the BMF is to market their next fight, because we all know

They can’t shoe horn some guy into a title shot for it because theirs no bogus ranking system to justify that decision

LeBron won't play the Warriors unless they put their most badass shooting fake title on the line.

The BMF is a joke. If it even needs to exist it shouldn't be a lineal belt, just a one off here and there.

So a real bmf like max shouldn't care about putting it on the line, if he don’t care about it right?

If Topuria wants to move up in true BMF fashion then sure.

Do you honestly think Holloway cares more about the BMF belt than the FW/LW title?

Do you honestly think Holloway cares more about the BMF belt than the FW/LW title?

i mean.. if he’s unwilling to put the BMF belt on the line for a shot at the FW title, I can only conclude that he cares about the BMF belt more.

Why are people bitching about this?
Topuria is a champion of a division, Max moved up to fight for a plastic belt. Look despite how cool that last win was for either guy, the path for each is pretty clear cut. And let’s not pretend that the BMF belt is exclusive to 155, it’s not as we’ve seen.

Max wants to fight Ilia, he has to go to 145. Whether or not he puts the BMF belt on the line is up to the UFC. If max really wants to fight for the championship belt I don’t see what the problem is leveraging a silly promotional tool. If that’s what’s holding him back that’s silly.

Now if Topuria wants to go up to 155 that’s a different story. He needs to stay at 145 pick up a win over whomever the next challenger is and establish himself.

But in reality it’s Topuria with the leverage here, everyone crying about how “that’s not BMF!” Has lost the plot and has fallen for the promotional bait.

1. Topuria makes announcements about the BMF belt after Holloway wins. - Question: If the BMF belt is given for other purposes, why is UFC silent on Topuria's statements? - This proves that what Topuria says is possible.

2. Topuria's goal, by what logic should not be a BMF belt? "Would any of you say no to that? Isn't a double benefit better than just defending the belt?" - It's clear that we all love Holloway, but there's a bit of bias and, in addition, distrust of Topuria.

3. If "Dustin Poirier" was given to Islam Makhachev, why can't Topuria defend the belt compared to "Ortega" with less risk? earn extra money, with less risk than it would have been with "Holloway"... If others make career defenses against sometimes lower weight fighters, doesn't Topuria have the right to have his first belt defense against a relatively easy opponent?

4. Topuria will certainly meet Max, either now or at most in the defense of the second belt. You haven't seen his wrestling yet, it's Makhachev's or Khabib's level of wrestling, if not more. You will see all this yourself. He controls his opponent's legs like Khabib did and then slowly puts the opponent under pressure. You haven't seen Topuria's power in this component yet, he is a heavy wrestler, you can't escape easily if he takes you to the parterre. I have one soul when I see him against Yevloev so that you all can see how Yevloev will lose with his own advantage.
Get Topuria's dick outta your mouth. Lol @ him having the same wrestling as Islam or Khabib.

1714595056751.png

Topuria fighting for BMF makes no sense. He's a new guy with only 7 fights in the UFC, At least Gaethje fought only top guys and got into a lot of fire fights. Max fought so many top guys and challenged himself up at 155 against 2 dangerous guys, everybody said Gaethje hit too hard and would demolish his legs but he took that fight. He also wanted to fight Khabib. Also has offered his opponent to stand and bang with 10 seconds left at least 3x when he was the one dominating the fight.

Also has many iconic moments like the last 10 seconds vs Lamas, teaching Ortega how to block mid fight, turning away from Kattar but still slipping his punches, last 10 seconds ve Gaethje etc..

I'll also mention it again... Look at who he's fought... Aldo x 2, Edgar, Lamas, Cub, Stephens, Gaethje, Poirier, Conor, Ortega, Allen, Yair, KZ, Kattar, Oliveira, Pettis and many more

It’s up to the company to decide if you’re a bmf based on your track record. Asking for it is the least bmf thing you can do.

All I ever hear from Topuria is how no one deserves to fight him except Conor. Before he said it would be ludicrous to give any of these old top ranked guys a title shot, then when asked about the top prospect of the younger ranked guys, he also dismissed Eveloev as undeserving. But now when there's a lot of pressure for him to face Max, he brings up Ortega

All the fighters who have fought for the BMF belt are long time veterans who have been around the sport forever and are fan favorites. Topuria is new and no one was paying attention to him a few fights ago. To the extent it means anything it would cheapen the title to let him fight for it. Basically anyone can at that point. Theres no point to the BMF belt if it's just going to get rolled into a regular title defense. It's something we should see once a year on special occasions.

Back