I'm Disgusted! Stephen A. Smith Rant 'Kicks Cerrone in the Head'

"Cerrone was not mentally prepared"

• Total voters
Well he wasn't paid to talk about MMA before the ESPN deal, now he has to, and it's a learning curve for him, doesn't mean he is not a fan of the sport, on the contrary, he likes fighting and combat sports, and that's most important, he'll learn what needs to be said in time.
Are you 10? Seriously.

cow was rocked by the knee that hit him as he ducked the first punch. he never got it back, got rocked with every shot after

This is the standard athletes in other sports are held to when you shit the bed.

Not everyone makes a million excuses for you like MMA media does.

MMA journalists and the community as a whole, have spent the last 20+ years seeking acceptance in the sports world. As a result, mma has this us against them (the rest of sports) mentality and you never see this type of criticism towards a fighter from an mma journalist or even a fighter analyst. You take for example the times that Chael Sonnen clearly quit in fights. He would’ve been killed if it was boxing media. But all these guys are buddies for the most part and don’t cross certain lines.

Only casuals think that this fight was fixed.

Every person who watched Cowboy during those years know that he gives up too easily.

After that head kick he was still in the fight but he quit as usual.

Even McProper said it in that Aldo press conference.

He didn't say it was fixed, though.

I love Cowboy, but SAS isn't wrong. Cowboy didn't mount any sort of offense and didn't even appear to know what to do. The performance was under whelming coming from a UFC legend. This is what I would have expected from Couture v. Lesnar when 100+ lbs were being given up... not Cowboy who is a 15+ lb bigger fighter with tons of skill and experience.

Those are some strong words from a guy who doesn’t understand mma to say about a legend of the sport. I think he should try and last 40 seconds with cerrone.
How does he not understand mma? That's like saying fans dont understand mma.. hes a fan.. if he wasnt he would care to do ufc work..

cow was rocked by the knee that hit him as he ducked the first punch. he never got it back, got rocked with every shot after

Yeah I think that knee caught him by surprise as he wasn't expecting Conor to attempt to "Masvidal" him from the get-go.

If he avoided that knee, I think this fight would've lasted longer and who knows?

0_UFC-246-McGregor-v-Cowboy.jpg

The hate should be directed to the UFC, Dana and conor for picking a dead horse like cerrone in the first place.

Did anyone with a clue expect anything less?

MMA journalists and the community as a whole, have spent the last 20+ years seeking acceptance in the sports world. As a result, mma has this us against them (the rest of sports) mentality and you never see this type of criticism towards a fighter from an mma journalist or even a fighter analyst. You take for example the times that Chael Sonnen clearly quit in fights. He would’ve been killed if it was boxing media. But all these guys are buddies for the most part and don’t cross certain lines.

100% all of this, specially what I highlighted, you can see how defensive MMA fans get most of the time when other sports are brought like Boxing "Not real fighting", Soccer/Basket/etc. "Ball sport" or even WWE "Fake Shit".

They always comes with the whole "but.. but.. I can beat you in real life!" to feed they "superiority" complex

100% all of this, specially what I highlighted, you can see how defensive MMA fans get most of the time when other sports are brought like Boxing "Not real fighting", Soccer/Basket/etc. "Ball sport" or even WWE "Fake Shit".

They always comes with the whole "but.. but.. I can beat you in real life!" to feed they "superiority" complex

Fact is, a lot of “hardcore” fans on Sherdog have said similar things as Stephen A in the last 48 hours. But because it’s him saying it, it’s somehow not valid. What he said was still true lol.

Fact is, a lot of “hardcore” fans on Sherdog have said similar things as Stephen A in the last 48 hours. But because it’s him saying it, it’s somehow not valid. What he said was still true lol.
MMA fans loves to use facts when discussing things but when the facts doesn't fit their agenda they always pull the "Respect" card

Nate Diaz Sides with Stephen A. Smith Saying Cerrone Was Mentally Weak

"Cowboy doesn't care about winning and losing," said Diaz, "so [McGregor] didn't have a very hard fight on his hands."

I'm just going to say Cowboy was always a slow starter and Conor was always a fast starter.

Beyond that, dgaf

It isn’t that he quit. He’s just an over-the-hill journeyman who can’t handle pressure.

Rogan's complaint was pretty weak. He argued that because Cerrone was physically damaged, Smith was wrong. First, Smith didn't know the exact damage when he made the statement. Second, being hurt and not trying are not mutually exclusive. Third, Cerrone was 'not defending himself intelligently' before the fight even started. To validate his opinion and counter Smith's, Rogan would have had to prove that Cerrone was mentally fit to fight, but that's something Rogan never did and never even attempted.

People who equate time to quality in how they rate the substance of an MMA or boxing fight are the worst sort of ignorant casuals.

Rogan's complaint was pretty weak. He argued that because Cerrone was physically damaged, Smith was wrong. First, Smith didn't know the exact damage when he made the statement. Second, being hurt and not trying are not mutually exclusive. Third, Cerrone was 'not defending himself intelligently' before the fight even started. To validate his opinion and counter Smith's, Rogan would have had to prove that Cerrone was mentally fit to fight, but that's something Rogan never did and never even attempted.

"Before the fight started" he wasn't defending himself. Go back to drooling in the corner, you fucking clown.

I really don't get the SAS controversy.

Rogan just got a little emotional because SAS seemed to be a bit insensitive. Joe has this belief that because fighters put it all on the line, you shouldn't criticize them or question their toughness or will. But SAS is just a sports reporter giving a straightforward take at the end of the day, what else do you expect him to do Joe?

But why are the Sherdogger's in a huff about this? Fans are 10 times more critical than SAS of fighters, especially on this board. They say way worse things than a guy's honest opinion. What he said was not off the mark. Get off his nuts.

Back