Improving Recovery

deviant

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Little back story....

I used to play football(soccer) a lot when I was in college, I used to weigh 9 stone then, used to run forever. Fast forward to now and I now weigh 12 stone and havent played football for 4 years!

I have been attempting to work on my cardio by going on runs and playing football once a week. I have been running on a monday for about an hour and then playing football on a Thursday for over an hour.

After the first week of doing this my legs where so sore I was actually walking like a cripple. I thought this pain would get better after a few weeks.

I have now been doing this for over 8 weeks and my recovery time has not improved at all! I have had to stop running on the mondays just to make sure I have my legs for football on thursday!

More details..

I am 25 and eat around 3000 calories a day with around 190 grams of protein. After doing any sort of excersise I take Reflexs Growth matrix which I have found has improved my recovery somewhat.

My question : Is there anything else I can do to help improve my recovery? I really want to be running more than once a week but at the moment its taking me 7 days to recover!

Any help would be appriciated!

Thanks

Try running less on Mondays until your body gets used to it, then increase the intensity/duration. Do you warm-up? cooldown? Stretch? Get enough sleep?

Try running less on Mondays until your body gets used to it, then increase the intensity/duration. Do you warm-up? cooldown? Stretch? Get enough sleep?

Yeah I do all of the above, and at the moment I am not running on the Mondays as I am to sore by then!

Try a light jog on flat ground the day immediatley following your intense running. Just enough to get a sweat going, Hr up, and some blood pumping into the legs. Even dress up warmer so your bodies just a furnance - then take 1 or 2 rest days.

This essentially helps flush out physiological byproducts of excersise like lactic acid/excess hydrogen ions.

Also, immeditaly following workouts have:
30 grams of protein
5-10 grams of glutamine
An apple or banana for a source of fibrous carbs
*dont forget your fish oil

This has worked well for myself, but im not quite where I want to be either.

Bestof luck bro!

Check your diet and rest, read the D&S faqs... make a big difference.

I don't know about your recovery drink but it should have about .8 grams of dextrose per kilo of lean body mass. Try some light sled dragging a couple times a week.

Back