In Memory of Joey Garcia - Benefit Seminar for March of Dimes - THIS SUNDAY 03/30 NYC

Hillary

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks! I have a trip planned to the NE this weekend and had been scheming for a while with awesomedude Jamie Kilstein about teaching his group of students. With the recent tragedy in the Garcia family, Jamie (a student of Marcelo's) and I felt it only proper to shift gears toward something that could honor their little one. After clearing it with Tati, we decided on a donation in Joey's memory to March of Dimes, and organization that "funds lifesaving research and programs and works to end premature birth, birth defects and infant mortality." (http://www.marchofdimes.com)

So Black Belt World Champion/world-class instructor Emily Kwok and Brown Belt Pan Champion/Young'n phenom Dominyka Obelenyte joined us to take something good and make it great. The four of us will teach several techniques that define each of our games, and honestly I'm pretty stoked to learn from them. Then to take great to awesome, Koral decided to give a t-shirt to the first 30 (maybe more, need final shirt count) participants and Da Firma Kimonos will donate a gi and maybe other goodies for raffle.

Want to donate but not in the area? http://www.gofundme.com/grapplingforacause

This is an open seminar. No gender or gym reqs. Anyone injured/on a break/etc is welcome to just come watch, we would recommend a donation.

10013705_759595204059730_815667297_n.jpg

Last edited:
Donation complete.

Awesome cause Hillary. Thanks for doing this. You are always doing great things.

Donation Made. Thank you for doing this! I wish I could make it into Brooklyn on Sunday for the seminar but my son has his first baseball practice.

Hillary,

I'm more than happy to donate some DVDs to raffle off. PM me.

I just got an update from go fund me that almost 5k has been raised already that is so awesome

I wish I had a pic to post already, but I'm so absolutely blown away by the response that we had. At the beginning of the seminar, as Marc ran warmups, I stopped counting at 50 as more folks trickled in.

Emily started the seminar with a deep half sweep to a very secure pass to mount, using her incredible teaching skills and competition anecdotes to drive the details home. I followed with a half guard pass to mount and a series of subs from the mount. Jamie, barely surviving the seminar while suffering through food poisoning (trooper!), went after me to show some basics of maintaining mount and then escaping mount. Dominyka used her ridiculously long legs to show us a mean monoplata/choke from the top of mount and a sweet omoplata from the guard. I got a surprise when 3rd degree black belt Bruno Ewald from Kauai showed up to support and jumped in to teach us some wicked old school subs from positions where your opponent is closed off.

Thank you so much to Park Slope BJJ for the location, Ronin for donations of gis, Digitsu for so many donated DVDs, and GiSoap for their goodies that were all raffled off for a little fun and extra donations!

I couldn't be happier right now, the total donation from website/seminar is in the ballpark of 8000. In the grand scheme of things, for an organization like March of Dimes, that's not a very big number, but it's what we had to give and that's all you can ever ask for.

I wish I had a pic to post already, but I'm so absolutely blown away by the response that we had. At the beginning of the seminar, as Marc ran warmups, I stopped counting at 50 as more folks trickled in.

Emily started the seminar with a deep half sweep to a very secure pass to mount, using her incredible teaching skills and competition anecdotes to drive the details home. I followed with a half guard pass to mount and a series of subs from the mount. Jamie, barely surviving the seminar while suffering through food poisoning (trooper!), went after me to show some basics of maintaining mount and then escaping mount. Dominyka used her ridiculously long legs to show us a mean monoplata/choke from the top of mount and a sweet omoplata from the guard. I got a surprise when 3rd degree black belt Bruno Ewald from Kauai showed up to support and jumped in to teach us some wicked old school subs from positions where your opponent is closed off.

Thank you so much to Park Slope BJJ for the location, Ronin for donations of gis, Digitsu for so many donated DVDs, and GiSoap for their goodies that were all raffled off for a little fun and extra donations!

I couldn't be happier right now, the total donation from website/seminar is in the ballpark of 8000. In the grand scheme of things, for an organization like March of Dimes, that's not a very big number, but it's what we had to give and that's all you can ever ask for.

Sounds awesome, I wish I could have been there.

Congrats on a great turnout! I stopped by before work to make a donation and was happy to see the large turnout. Was Marcelo there or was he in Virginia?

Congrats on a great turnout! I stopped by before work to make a donation and was happy to see the large turnout. Was Marcelo there or was he in Virginia?

We didn't ask either to attend. We imagined they're busy with their daughter and don't need any further reminder of their loss.

Trouble posting pic from app...someone help?

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net...x2048/1801404_690033344371348_149358793_o.jpg

Final donation was $8550. Just thrilled about it. Thank you for your donation!

Back