In retrospect, was GSP an exciting champion ?

Was George "The Saint" Pierre an exciting champion.

• Total voters

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A lot of people used to bitch and moan about GSP being a boring fighter. To an extent, their complaints were justified. Post-Serra GSP never finished a fight. However, he remained thoroughly active during his fights. His jabs, strikes and pressure kept opponents at bay while his wrestlefucking left them hapless. Except for the Hendricks fight, no one seemed to know how to deal with him.

Now that we have seen how a real boring WW title fight looks like following Woodley and Wonderboy's shitshow, was GSP - in hindsight - an exciting champion ?

oprah.gif

I mean I dunno about exciting by its purest definition but the way he shut people down was very intriguing. In his prime it was always a question of how well his opponents could avoid being dominated not if theyd win. Thats crazy. I was impressed with him against Johny too, especially that fifth round.

A lot of people used to bitch and moan about GSP being a boring fighter. To an extent, their complaints were justified. Post-Serra GSP never finished a fight. However, he remained thoroughly active during his fights. His jabs, strikes and pressure kept opponents at bay while his wrestlefucking left them hapless. Except for the Hendricks fight, no one seemed to know how to deal with him.

Now that we have seen how a real boring WW title fight looks like following Woodley and Wonderboy's shitshow, was GSP - in hindsight - an exciting champion ?
LOL

No. Fuck no he wasn't.

Shields fight was almost as bad as the main event tonight. Actually, it possibly was as bad considering it had way more hype behind it.

He had some boring fights but at least he tried to win every minute of every round, unlike the two clowns who fought for the title tonight.

GSP was by far the most predictable champion possibly in MMA history. He was incredibly successful and talented, but when you know EXACTLY what is going to happen it definitely takes some of the excitement away.

That said, compared to the last two WW title fights, GSP was like a fucking action movie with non stop excitement, but only because we just got 23 minutes of watching two guys looking at each other and trying not to get hit.

Also - goddam I miss Robbie Lawler. He put on fight of the year level fights in his first 4 title fights. Lawler vs Condit was the most violent show of heart and unbreakable will I have ever seen in MMA.

In Retrospect he fought the best of the best. People whining about finishes, guess what most champions do not finish at an amazing rate in MMA today or even back then. Jones is the LHW GOAT and has plenty of decisions. People just needed stupid ass reasons to bash GSP.

GSP was a great champion. That is not the same as being an exciting champion. I can't vote yes, because he was boring. I cant vote no, because I was impressed by his boring performance.

GSP was by far the most predictable champion possibly in MMA history. He was incredibly successful and talented, but when you know EXACTLY what is going to happen it definitely takes some of the excitement away.

That said, compared to the last two WW title fights, GSP was like a fucking action movie with non stop excitement, but only because we just got 23 minutes of watching two guys looking at each other and trying not to get hit. .
That is what made him so great all his opponents knew just what he was gonna do, yet try as they might they were powerless to stop it. Hell 99% of them didnt even come close. Pure, utter domination.

His fight with Jake Shields was a gigantic fucking letdown for me and I do hold that against him. The Dan Hardy fight deserves legitimate criticism, but I think he does get too much flack for it.

No matter what you think of GSP, 95% of the total time he's spent fighting in his career he's gone after his opponents the second the fight begins.

That commands respect on a universal level.

He pushes an insane pace and either breaks his opponents with a continued onslaught of a beating, or totally outclasses them in in virtually every area of MMA. He's also shown true grit and the ability to overcome adversity on a number of occasions. He DOES NOT fuck around and waist time in there because he doesn't have an solution to push offense. He rarely if ever stalls.

In Retrospect he fought the best of the best. People whining about finishes, guess what most champions do not finish at an amazing rate in MMA today or even back then. Jones is the LHW GOAT and has plenty of decisions. People just needed stupid ass reasons to bash GSP.
No you're just a nuthugger

His fight with Jake Shields was a gigantic fucking letdown for me and I do hold that against him. The Dan Hardy fight deserves legitimate criticism, but I think he does get too much flack for it.

No matter what you think of GSP, 95% of the total time he's spent fighting in his career, he's gone after his opponents the second the fight begins.

That commands respect on a universal level.

He pushes an insane pace and either breaks his opponents with a continued onslaught of a beating, or totally outclasses them in in virtually every area of MMA. He's also shown true grit and the ability to overcome adversity on a number of occasions. He DOES NOT fuck around and waist time in there because he doesn't have an solution to push offense. He rarely if ever stalls.

The Shields fight did suck. But in his defense he was dominating through 2 rounds, and got badly poked in the eye in the 3rd..

When people are diehard fans of a fighter, they don't care about fighting style or finishes. Winning is exciting for them. GSP has a ton of diehard fans.

Team sports fans don't care if their team is boring. Mayweather fans don't care if he's boring. GSP fans don't care if he can't finish. Only wins matter to them. Other factors might matter to casuals, but hardcore fans just want their idols to win at ALL costs.

Back