In the past 25 years, what world event was the most shocking and jaw dropping?

In the past 25 years, what world event was the most shocking and jaw dropping?

• Total voters
The irrational fear that computers couldn't count to 2000.

Nothing changed the world or was more shocking globally than the pandemic. The main reasons it's not the clear winner here are the length of time on which it played out and there's a pretty strong NA bias.

When Aaliyah died, it actually bothered me more than any of the shit on that list. 9/11 bothered me a little because my crush had an uncle that worked near there, and she was worried. Covid was wonderful because of the empty streets. If I could go back to redo any period in my life, it would be the hardcore lockdowns which I loved. Aaliyah made me a little sad though.

54652cc5edee5.image.jpg

In no way does it compare to 9/11 but if you were living or working in or around DC in Oct 2002 the Beltway Sniper Attacks were very surreal.

Lord help you if you were driving a white box truck on the beltway, people running to their cars, gas station putting up tarps to hide you when filling up. Palpable general anxiety. It was pretty crazy.
Or the Anthrax attacks too. Wild time.

I voted 9/11.

Covid was a bunch of BS. If someone died from covid they had it coming

Source: my family who went 53-0 unvaccinated including my 93 year old grandma, multiple 60 year old aunts and uncle.

covid because its global
its the worlds problem

To see the whole world stop for COVID was pretty freaky in the beginning, then it was extremely annoying when government kept fear mongering people with it.

9/11 for me. I was in 5th grade and we had D.A.R.E. that day. Our officer tried to explain what was happening, all we knew was that we’d been attacked, no idea who or why.

I voted 9/11.

Covid was a bunch of BS. If someone died from covid they had it coming

Source: my family who went 53-0 unvaccinated including my 93 year old grandma, multiple 60 year old aunts and uncle.

I think all of the people in my family that died of COVID, died on ventilators and vaccinated. (A total of about 6)

I’d say Covid. Not to say 9/11 wasn’t immensely shocking, but the fact that Covid lead to my kids being pulled out of daycare and me and my wife working from home for four months, plus “social distancing” in all its various forms was so much more impactful than anything flowing from 9/11.

how was going into lock downs more impactful than 9/11, which lead to the entire 20 year war lol

Because topic says shocking and jaw dropping not tragic. COVID had like a 3 month buildup.

Also for people not in the USA probably 9/11 was not a big deal, just some international news like what we get from every war or something. But since most people here are muricans.
But I'm an American and it just felt the same as some tragedy in another country. Maybe because I'm on the west coast and it just felt far away.

That time someone posted some racist and homophobic shit in the War Room.

Back