In your opinion, what does Stipe have to do to surpass Fedor as the HW GOAT?

He's the first good HW champion in a long time. If he beats Cormier and then Blaydes I'll be pretty impressed.

Would like to see him have to showcase competent grappling...

So was it also recency bias to say in the 90s that Mike was better than Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain? Or even to be saying it now?

No, because what he did set him apart and his legacy has held up, same as other greats like chamberlain, they earned it.

It's also rare when someone is that talented and starts dominating the competition early in their career. Like Jordan in basketball, or Jones and Fedor in MMA. Khabib has some of that as well though not as much as those guys. You can see these guys have the potential, but they still have to deliver and perform consistently at the highest level to become great.

Stipe never really had that, he only now seems to have come into his own and is performing consistently. He needs to do that for a long time to get in the same conversation as guys who reached the top by absolutely dominating all of their peers.

Those are your examples? Fedor grabbed the ropes against LINDLAND to stop a takedown and used them to setup the armbar, go watch it. Owaga bro? Sambos a good base ill give you that but cmon man he isnt taking down 6'5" 265 Ngannou,and if he did it wouldnt be long.

He threw Brett Rogers to the ground like a child who is probably similar size....

No, because what he did set him apart and his legacy has held up, same as other greats like chamberlain, they earned it.

It's also rare when someone is that talented and starts dominating the competition early in their career. Like Jordan in basketball, or Jones and Fedor in MMA. Khabib has some of that as well though not as much as those guys. You can see these guys have the potential, but they still have to deliver and perform consistently at the highest level to become great.

Stipe never really had that, he only now seems to have come into his own and is performing consistently. He needs to do that for a long time to get in the same conversation as guys who reached the top by absolutely dominating all of their peers.
Both bill and Wilt are more accomplished than mike and mike did not start dominating early in his career.....

DC, Blaydes, one more vet (will cain ever be back?), and another contender or rematch if someone strings some wins together would solidify him as the best HW run in MMA history. Maybe not longest win streak, but a subjective aggregate of win streak + difficulty of opponents would solidly be the best in history imo.

Any two of Ngannou, JDS, Wedum, and Overeem > Big Nog and Cro Cop

Fedor isn't GOAT or HW GOAT or even a billy GOAT.

Stipe is well on his way to being the best HW fighter we've ever seen. What's crazy is that he does this part-time. A part-time fighter is on his way to being the greatest HW ever...let that sink in.

Yeah...only this forum....

Mixed martial arts
Sambo
  • Russian Judo Federation
  • Russian National Championship Senior Absolute 3rd Place (1999)[186]
  • Russian National Championship Senior 3rd Place (1998)[186]
  • Federal Executive Body in the Field of Physical Culture & Sports
Miscellaneous
  • 2014 Winter Olympics Belgorod Torchbearer[188]
  • National Sports Award "Glory"
  • 2007 Fair Play Glory Award[190]
  • Russian Union of Martial Arts
  • 2006 Most Outstanding Victory of the Year Golden Belt Award[191]
  • Imperial Society of Russia
  • First Class Golden Order of the Romanov Family of St. Nicholas II (2010)[192]
  • Russian Federation National State Decorations Committee
  • First Class Order of Peter the Great (2007)[193]
51HIu-hYQAL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

513JeTlMaWL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

FIGHTERS%20ONLY%20MAGAZINE%20JULY%202017%20%20ICON%20FEDOR%20EMELIANENKO.%20-%20B076NNFBCB.jpg

KaBu%202007-01%20Cov.jpg

FSp%202009-01%20Cov.jpg

BB%202009-12%20Cov.jpg

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

s-l225.jpg

fedor_issue15.jpg

s-l300.jpg

ExF%202009-2%20Cov.jpg

ElF%202006-15%20Cov.jpg

UG%202008-11%20Cov.jpg

51Z1gxj5wHL.jpg

41bi2MkAr9L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

91kuUyXqdzL._SY450_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

DCyLV1eVoAA0tab.jpg

c4f205af173eac00cce1b695f039b189

1364222352.jpg
Not a single source saying he’s the goat.
You just prove my point

Both bill and Wilt are more accomplished than mike and mike did not start dominating early in his career.....

Really dude? You're going to start debating if michael fucking jordan is GOAT? One of the few athletes in any sport who is considered the consensus greatest.

And you're making stuff up, he did start dominating early in his career, missed most of his second year due to injury then had a very dominant year 3 close to being MVP. Next year he was the MVP.

Just goes to show contrarians will argue against anything.

Really dude? You're going to start debating if michael fucking jordan is GOAT? One of the few athletes in any sport who is considered the consensus greatest.

And you're making stuff up, he did start dominating early in his career, missed most of his second year due to injury then had a very dominant year 3 close to being MVP. Next year he was the MVP.

Just goes to show contrarians will argue against anything.
no, actually, lebron james is the goat.

but it seems like the small details are going over your head already lol so i wont go much deeper.

no, actually, lebron james is the goat.

but it seems like the small details are going over your head already lol so i wont go much deeper.

Good, i'd rather not hear any more "small details" like the ones you mentioned so far, i have zero interest in that debate.

Good, i'd rather not hear any more "small details" like the ones you mentioned so far, i have zero interest in that debate.
good

as long as you know stipe is the greatest heavyweight mma has ever seen

in the sense that hed beat everyone else, given that everyone was at their best.

and i hope you have a good day

Back