Injured can't squat (yes another one) what am I missing

Juden

White Belt
Reaction score
Long story short I am recovering from some nerve damage in my neck. I have been cleared for some exercises now but squats is a no go. It's because the weight bar would rest right on the injured spot. However the legpressmachine works just fine so Im doing that right now. What am I missing out on compared to squats?

Well, the ability to improve your squat. Plus, of course, squatting just plain provides more stimulus for the muscles of your legs (both the quads and the hamstrings), glute activation, working your hips, etc.

So the only real answer is "lots."

You're missing out on a lot.

World renowned trainer on the squat:

"There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat." - Rip

If a certain exercise is detrimental for you personally, just seek alternatives like you're doing. I can't squat either anymore. Don't worry about not doing them. It doesn't do you any good to worry that you can't do them. In my opinion, not all exercises are for every individual. I play sports recreationally, and do just fine without squats.

Front squat Or Zercher squat. Neither rest on your back. Your welcome.

If a certain exercise is detrimental for you personally, just seek alternatives like you're doing. I can't squat either anymore. Don't worry about not doing them. It doesn't do you any good to worry that you can't do them. In my opinion, not all exercises are for every individual. I play sports recreationally, and do just fine without squats.

Yea but you're also you which kinda sucks....

Anyone ever do hack squats? I've done it once, doesn't feel beneficial.

And that's why it's an opinion, bruddah.

Front squats may be a good option. Sounds like your situation is temporary and eventually youll be able to do squats after you rehab. I trained without squats for over ten years and since i added squats around six months ago ive realized that i wasted nearly 15 years in the gym. There is no real substitute for squats

Good advice so far. Might try out the front squat. As a grappler (obviously not rolling anytime soon) I feel that working my hips is really important so im a little sad to hear that I wont get as much out of that. I can live without the rest though.

Front squat, clean pull, split squat, glute bridges with bands. The list goes on. You can still get some training in while you heal up.

Back