Injury Comparison (Muay Thai vs BJJ)

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Which of the two is more injury oriented? From what I have felt, Muay Thai injuries are normally competition injuries and they are related to how frequently you are competing. BJJ has more potential for training injuries and a lot of people (who do not even compete) are showing sprains and twists and joint problems etc.

What has been your own experience with injuries in Muay Thai in comparison with BJJ?

It's just different sorts of injuries.

In general in my observation connective tissue injuries are more common in grappling sports. There's more scenarios with a lot of torque / twisting forces being applied to ligaments and tendons.

In striking sports with hard sparring or live matches the damage is more likely to be related to impact traumas from being struck and from striking incorrectly or with overwhelming force.

That being said, you can still get muscle tears and concussions in both.

I think BJJ is probably more injury prone, because if you kick wrongly and hurt yourself - while that's unfortunate it's your error - but in drills and rolling it is so for you to injure yourself or your partner. I know people get freaked out by striking sparring, but that HURTS which is different from being injured.

I think bjj is worse in injuries both major and minor. But Muay Thai is no joke. The shin, feet, elbows, forearms, ribs, and head take a beating. But bjj is worse because your neck, spine, fingers, and every joint and connective tissue gets attacked.

If you ask an injured person if they rather grapple or strike today, chances are they are going to take the striking

Which of the two is more injury oriented?
CrossFit is injury oriented. Some call it the "injury Olympics". :D

A serious answer: I've not done enough MT or BJJ to judge those BUT I've done enough Karate and Judo. So between those I barely had any injuries in Karate and had multiple in Judo. Back, knees, shoulders all fucked up. So I'd say from personal experience that grappling arts are way more injury-prone than striking arts.

@AndyMaBobs said it well - striking HURTS but in grappling it's easy to really INJURE yourself or your partner. This is because in submission grappling the finishing technique is, well, designed to cause injury. Armbars, kneebars, armlocks, leglocks etc. will cause injury if the opponent does not tap. Or if he taps too late... which is often among newbies and ppl with too much ego. Yeah I've been there.

Last edited:
I have way more time and experience grappling over striking and I would say generally grappling causes more injuries/soreness/aches etc. for me. I think a big part of it is that in grappling sparring it's much more common to go pretty hard. Whereas in striking you likely aren't going really hard in sparring every single day. In BJJ it's common to roll/positional spar for like 20-30 minutes each practice and I find that typically people go harder in grappling than striking.

I've gotten more injuries in BJJ and grappling, mainly because early on I didn't know how to intuitively roll to prevent injury, and my old gym was full of gym heros who would crank, go ham on stuff they saw on youtube, and I took the brunt of it. Stuff like a single leg counter by rolling into a kimura, I didn't know what that was, I was locked, and my shoulder went. Most of the injuries there were more on the fingers and toes though. One that was funny and sad at the same time was getting knee tapped, and I fell on my side and got cut; The cage wasn't set up properly, had a loose wire sticking out, and my forearm gashed on the fall.

Almost had my neck snapped by an idiot; Guy locked me in a guillotine and decided to throw me while locked in what looked to be an attempt at a throw to land in scarf when it was to the ground. By some miracle I got free midway and fell in a scramble. That point I basically went all out after, and given he was retarded in striking, it was easy pickings.

MT, my injuries have usually been ribs from fights, or ankle swelling (dunno how these happen, I never recalled kicking a knee, elbow, or even eating a check on that area, so why it gets swelled there is still a mystery). If in training, it was because a dipshit didn't have the technique down and tried to go fast hitting an area that wasn't really supposed to be hit in the drill. eg. catch a kick -> sweep, and hitting the side of my knee at 100% because it's a drill and not sparring.

Long story short, grappling injuries are more freak injuries (incl. getting doubled, and falling into people behind us), and striking its more manageable. Also, not exactly injury like, but on a similar topic, there's more dirty people in grappling, I have no idea why. Dudes who don't cut their nails, and I get cuts off sharp toenails etc. I'm lucky to not have gotten anything really major, whereas a couple of teammates weren't. One almost got his knee blown out on a heel hook, when a sister gym's coach came with some students, my teammate got a good toe hold on him; On the next round he cranked out a heel hook on my mate because his students saw him get subbed.

Last edited:
I'd say the majority of injuries I've seen in training MMA are from wrestling/takedowns in awkward positions. (Guys knees getting twisted up and fallen on when their knee is bent in a awkward direction or getting slammed hard on their shoulder on the mat.)

Recreationally I'd say your more likely to hurt yourself doing BJJ. Someone could catch you in a kimura or something and you hold off tapping for too long and end up pulling a muscle or worse, whereas in Muay Thai if your just hitting pads, doing drills or sparring light its kinda hard to hurt yourself that bad. In a competitive setting though I'd say your more likely to hurt yourself in a muay thai fight (broken foot, hand, nose) then in a competitive BJJ tournament.

I have way more time and experience grappling over striking and I would say generally grappling causes more injuries/soreness/aches etc. for me. I think a big part of it is that in grappling sparring it's much more common to go pretty hard. Whereas in striking you likely aren't going really hard in sparring every single day. In BJJ it's common to roll/positional spar for like 20-30 minutes each practice and I find that typically people go harder in grappling than striking.

I've had dead legs, bruised ribs and shins and was once knocked out on my feet(and didn't fall down). But in general terms, I get beat up way more doing BJJ than Muay Thai.

72e40081a8ca2242ede9b89116f0f5e3--bjj-ju-jitsu.jpg

Muay Thai - Brain damage, and bruises from hard sparring and competing!
Bjj - Joints, back, and neck injury’s even from just light training if you just keep doing it long enough

CrossFit is injury oriented. Some call it the "injury Olympics". :D
Judo answers this philosophically, as I commented in my original posts.

A serious answer: I've not done enough MT or BJJ to judge those BUT I've done enough Karate and Judo. So between those I barely had any injuries in Karate and had multiple in Judo. Back, knees, shoulders all fucked up. So I'd say from personal experience that grappling arts are way more injury-prone than striking arts.
Your answer along with another member below which is useful to understanding. I do know the karate and such striking schools here refrain from hard contact. It's against the rules, which should make it safe.

In Judo we have randori, which is practice competition. There is a risk of injury since actual contact is engaged, with each of us trying to best our partner. I haven't participated in any randori and don't know when I will because I'm new. The whole concept of judo both in intent & in practice is effective safe technique.

@AndyMaBobs said it well - striking HURTS but in grappling it's easy to really INJURE yourself or your partner. This is because in submission grappling the finishing technique is, well, designed to cause injury. Armbars, kneebars, armlocks, leglocks etc. will cause injury if the opponent does not tap. Or if he taps too late... which is often among newbies and ppl with too much ego. Yeah I've been there.
I'm sorry, but the heavy striking contact I see here can do more that hurt. This to me indicates a bias among these posters. We see the damage caused in MMA while not common, is serious enough. The highly frequent post-fight medical suspensions. Accumulation over time a big concern.

Judo grappling, what I have witnessed and experienced, is relatively safe. Largely safe. This against hails back to the nature of Judo practice, of the art. Discipline and control come first. Could Judo techniques be used to harm,,, sure. But not in the way we engage in class. I haven't seen anyone hurt even in the least so far. A big plus for the art of Judo as a martial art column.

Last edited:
Judo grappling, what I have witnessed and experienced, is relatively safe. Largely safe. This against hails back to the nature of Judo practice, of the art. Discipline and control come first. Could Judo techniques be used to harm,,, sure. But not in the way we engage in class. I haven't seen anyone hurt even in the least so far. A big plus for the art of Judo as a martial art column.
I get where Andy and Hotara are coming from, even though controlled, the state of sparring/rolling is an invitation of unpredictable chaos; It really doesn't get contained 100%, you can eliminate most of it through proper technique and experience, but the risk is always going to be there.

I've had injuries in grappling much more than striking, some in events that were controlled such as a misstep that lead to a rolled ankle, a pair of classmates bumping into me (one was sprawling off a double) as I was working a triangle. I've seen a person get hurt from a fall because he got lifted into a high crotch, but started spazzing as his partner was trying to put him down gently, and the sudden spazz and distribution of weight, tipped him, and he landed odd.

Judo answers this philosophically, as I commented in my original posts.

Your answer along with another member below which is useful to understanding. I do know the karate and such striking schools here refrain from hard contact. It's against the rules, which should make it safe.

In Judo we have randori, which is practice competition. There is a risk of injury since actual contact is engaged, with each of us trying to best our partner. I haven't participated in any randori and don't know when I will because I'm new. The whole concept of judo both in intent & in practice is effective safe technique.

I'm sorry, but the heavy striking contact I see here can do more that hurt. This to me indicates a bias among these posters. We see the damage caused in MMA while not common, is serious enough. The highly frequent post-fight medical suspensions. Accumulation over time a big concern.

So, have you done any sparring yet?

I get where Andy and Hotara are coming from, even though controlled, the state of sparring/rolling is an invitation of unpredictable chaos; It really doesn't get contained 100%, you can eliminate most of it through proper technique and experience, but the risk is always going to be there.
No question about it. Yet I believe much of the difference in experience stems from the participation in BJJ. I would suspect a cultural aspect in BJJ practitioners vs. Judo players too, but I'm largely guessing.

I've had injuries in grappling much more than striking, some in events that were controlled such as a misstep that lead to a rolled ankle, a pair of classmates bumping into me (one was sprawling off a double) as I was working a triangle. I've seen a person get hurt from a fall because he got lifted into a high crotch, but started spazzing as his partner was trying to put him down gently, and the sudden spazz and distribution of weight, tipped him, and he landed odd.
See my reply just above. I, however, find the choice of words in "chaos," very revealing. Judo's gentle way seeks to provide order against violence. Morevoer, the technique you cite adds credence to my supposition.

In Judo, we have randori if I read correctly was what you're alluding to. Look back to my post #12.
Have you done it? I know Judo has randori. I did Judo. Have you done randori yourself?

There is no comparison. The BJJ you suffer much more problem. No Muaythai and quiet. What usually happens and if there is a cut a bacterian infection. However this is rare. The secret and always protected training.

Have you done it? I know Judo has randori. I did Judo. Have you done randori yourself?
I've answered that.

BTW,,, i noticed you compiled an extensive list of karate players in MMA. I haven't reviewed it yet.... but because of Machida's well known representation in MMA, karate makes an obvious choice for striking art. At first brush, however, I googled karate and there's multiple, multiple styles. Hence the 1st stumbling block.

Any suggestions for a short list? TKD is popular in my area, but something puts me off. I'll have to check it out sooner or later.

I've answered that.

BTW,,, i noticed you compiled an extensive list of karate players in MMA. I haven't reviewed it yet.... but because of Machida's well known representation in MMA, karate makes an obvious choice for striking art. At first brush, however, I googled karate and there's multiple, multiple styles. Hence the 1st stumbling block.

Any suggestions for a short list? TKD is popular in my area, but something puts me off. I'll have to check it out sooner or later.
So you have not sparred yet. Not gonna flame you, you are entitled to your opinion of course. Just be careful when you begin and put away the ego. Fall gently. Tap early. Rest well.

Take a second look at my Karate fighters list - each comes with the style mentioned. The list is excel friendly. You can check the most often represented styles, though obviously it is Kyokushin, followed by Shotokan. These are the two styles I have personally trained, though I do have a fascination of old Okinawan styles such as Goju, Shorin and Uechi. These may not be best suited for MMA but for self defense I think they should be formidable.

TKD isn't Karate so I'm not gonna act as if I'm an expert but looking at friends of mine who did it... ITF is pretty nice. WTF is, well... "what the fuck". :D

Back