Inside leg kick

Anthony559

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hey guys well as the title says im just wondering how do you improve your inside leg kicks im a southpaw and find it feels very awkward and weak to throw my inside leg kick so if anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated or some videos . thanks guys

Was a good link. Anyway, here's my word on the matter. Firstly, you want to have good flexibility in both legs. Regardless of whichever side is your lead, a lack of flexibility is going to give you awful posture when performing kicks, and they're therefore going to be less powerful, on top of being less powerful because the capacity of your tendons stretching is reached more quickly, making it hard to get fast acceleration.

Secondly, your dominant side (you never stated if you were right hand or left hand southpaw. I'm going to assume that you're left since your kicks are weaker as southpaw) will always naturally be stronger. You can't help this.

Lastly, it might just be a strength issue. As said above, your natural side is stronger, so maybe it has something to do with being a little too weak to really make them effective. If none of these things are your problems, then it's your execution (form, posture, technique, whatever you want to call it) of the kicks, whether it be lack of proper weight shifting, following through, whatever. Find out what you think you're doing wrong, fix it, and continue practicing kicks until they feel right. If there's more than one problem, then fix one at a time.

Here's one video on it. Might help you out a bit:

Wow, good thread. I have already learned some things. I like the jab/inside leg kick/jab step out (or pivot) combo. Seems to work pretty well. I like the first link from Disciplus a lot, and the last video really helps with the footwork.

Great post. One element of the rear-leg low kick I would like to emphasize is pivoting on the front leg. So few fighters do this, and it is crucial for all of the reasons Azam mentioned, and also to prevent wear/tear/injury to your plant leg's knee. You don't need much -- an outside 45 degrees will work. But don't leave your plant leg toes pointed towards your opponent.

You will have to work it into the fight picture you present to your opponent, otherwise it would telegraph exactly what it was you were going to do. (If you always turn your foot out before a low kick, I'll know exactly what you're doing and defend against it.) Some options include: have more than one technique you throw from that stance, fakes, feints, etc. That way, your opponent doesn't know what's coming. Often, a well-placed low kick happens so fast, your opponent doesn't always have enough time to react or even see it, but it is better to mask it the best you can to increase your chances of a successful strike.

Back