Interesting background on the Saudi journalist

vespasian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What the media aren’t telling you about Jamal Khashoggi

https://spectator.us/2018/10/jamal-khashoggi/

He was a darling of the Western media but there is more to him that it is said in the press. He was a major player in the Muslim Brotherhood:

It was Yasin Aktay — a former MP for Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development party (AKP) — whom Khashoggi told his fiancée to call if he did not emerge from the consulate. The AKP is, in effect, the Turkish branch of the Muslim Brotherhood.

I for one didn't know this bit:

The Muslim Brotherhood, though, has always been at odds with the Wahhabi movement. Khashoggi and his fellow travellers believe in imposing Islamic rule by engaging in the democratic process. The Wahhabis loathe democracy as a western invention.

9/11 connection:

Worse, from the royals’ point of view, was that Khashoggi had dirt on Saudi links to al Qaeda before the 9/11 attacks. He had befriended Osama bin Laden in the 1980s and 1990s in Afghanistan and Sudan

Stop helping the Saudis and Trumps push the smear campaign

He was a darling of the Western media but there is more to him that it is said in the press. He was a major player in the Muslim Brotherhood:

9/11 connection:
giphy.gif

I dont doubt that, but it doesnt make his criticisms of the Kingdom any less true.

He wrote critical stories about Trump (fake news) so he deserved to die if you really think about it.

This thread is a mess thus far. Shut up, they explained.

Khashoggi seems like a very interesting character. A strong Muslim Brotherhood supporter who was at odds with Wahhabism and critical of SA's rapprochement with Israel. He was pro-democracy as a means to establish theocracy. He was a reporter with more than a little bit of cloak and dagger to him. He gets (ineptly) disappeared in Turkey at the same time Turkey releases an American pastor.

There's more than enough for a screenplay in here.

I cant even pretend to understand the game being played at this point. Maybe we are better just sticking our head in the sand and playing the role of an NPC? Ignorance is God damn bliss, truly

This thread is a mess thus far. Shut up, they explained.

Khashoggi seems like a very interesting character. A strong Muslim Brotherhood supporter who was at odds with Wahhabism and critical of SA's rapprochement with Israel. He was pro-democracy as a means to establish theocracy. He was a reporter with more than a little bit of cloak and dagger to him. He gets (ineptly) disappeared in Turkey at the same time Turkey releases an American pastor.

There's more than enough for a screenplay in here.
What do you make of the part where Khashoggi was banned from reporting in Saudi Arabia when he criticized Trump?

What do you make of the part where Khashoggi was banned from reporting in Saudi Arabia when he criticized Trump?

As an American, I pretty much always think banning reporting is a bad thing. Your previous comment seems to indicate you do not want too much reporting on this case.

9/11 connection:
The AKP is not a branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, its roots are in previous Islamist parties within Turkey.

The AKP is not a branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, its roots are in previous Islamist parties within Turkey.
are they not allies with the Brotherhood? What are their main ideological differences?

I cant even pretend to understand the game being played at this point. Maybe we are better just sticking our head in the sand and playing the role of an NPC? Ignorance is God damn bliss, truly
It will happen either way

b8e.jpg

are they not allies with the Brotherhood? What are their main ideological differences?
They do align with them in terms of international politics like Qatar and Iran do but they're not a branch of them like many Islamist parties around the Muslims world are.

The AKP are really not nearly as Islamist as the Muslim Brotherhood though, they don't even consider themselves Islamist. They call themselves a socially conservative party. In some sense they're not unlike the GOP. The GOP isn't officially a Christian party despite being heavily influenced by Christian ethics. This is because Turkey is radically secularist compared to most Muslim countries to the point that a religious party is unconstitutional which is why many of the forerunner parties to the AKP were banned. Basically, Turkey, on the secular-religious spectrum, is so close to the secular end that even their "Islamist" party is relatively secular compared to mainstream parties in other Muslim countries.

So what do you think is Turkey's agenda in this affair?
They are pro Brotherhood to be fair and I think that's because Erdogan is a populist with ambitions even outside Turkey. The Brotherhood are often the conservative populist party in their respective country that agitate against the dictatorships which rely on a narrow ruling elite so Erdogan seems to be throwing his lot in with them just like Qatar while the Saudi-UAE coalition backs the dictators like Sisi in Egypt. I think this split happened in the wake of the Arab Spring where the Brotherhood backers came to see the Brotherhood as the populist future while the anti-Brotherhood faction wants to resist their populist takeover and maintain the status quo.

They do align with them in terms of international politics like Qatar and Iran do but they're not a branch of them like many Islamist parties around the Muslims world are.

The AKP are really not nearly as Islamist as the Muslim Brotherhood though, they don't even consider themselves Islamist. They call themselves a socially conservative party. In some sense they're not unlike the GOP. The GOP isn't officially a Christian party despite being heavily influenced by Christian ethics. This is because Turkey is radically secularist compared to most Muslim countries to the point that a religious party is unconstitutional which is why many of the forerunner parties to the AKP were banned. Basically, Turkey, on the secular-religious spectrum, is so close to the secular end that even their "Islamist" party is relatively secular compared to mainstream parties in other Muslim countries.
very helpful insight.
<5>

Khashoggi had dirt on Saudi links to al Qaeda before the 9/11 attacks

So that's why they kill em...Makes sense.

So killing him is worth the trouble since if he had proof of Saudi links, it could've been worse.

Back