Intermittent Fasting

Mountain Dew

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm looking to give IF a go, just a few things though.

-Can somebody direct me to a website or a place where I can find IF-specific meal plans? (in regards to what intervals of time I should be eating at, not necessarily what I should be eating)

-Right now my body is use to eating 5-6 times a day (small meals). How do I adjust to such a drastic change in diet? I would imagine if I jumped into IF, I would be miserable from hunger throughout most of the day.

-Sometimes I go out to breakfast/lunch with family members and friends on occasion, this may not fit in with an IF eating schedule, how do you accommodate issues like this?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for a while.

I usually have 2-3 meals a day and up to seven light snacks.

The rest of the time I'm fasting and it really feels good.

I could tell the difference almost right away.

That website has exactly what you're looking for. IF is the focus there.

Super helpful, IF is a little different than what I expected (good thing).

Couldn't find anything on easing into an IF pattern. I guess I might slowly just reduce my meal frequency, shouldn't be a problem I think!

I have no idea man. I personally am not into IF. I've heard good things, and I know a few people who practice IF. One guy I know, who is an absolute beast, doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, but uses protein shakes throughout the day and eats a massive dinner. This guy is very meticulous and seems to think highly of IF.

Yeah most people who practice IF do think highly of it, must be very effective if done correctly.

Its just another example of how multiple methods can work. My only recommendation is to keep your protein intake high. If I was going to follow something along those lines, I'd use the shakes like my friend does. Perhaps taking your measurements wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If you lift and notice your numbers starting to fall, you might want to reevaluate what you're doing and find a more manageable approach.

Its no coincidence that most religions in the world recommend some form of fasting for whatever reason. Although I never did any huge fasts, I did a juice fast a couple of years ago and the mental clarity and energy was crazy. Living life in High Def.

I went low carb before starting IF and my experience has been that the two are quite complementary. According to my most basic understanding, when your body adjusts to low carb it produces more enzymes that help in fat (dietary and stored) metabolization. Consequently, you are no longer dependent on continuous carbs for energy and you don't feel like you have to eat all the time.

After adjusting to LC, I started IF by skipping breakfast and then gradually pushing back lunch, before skipping lunch all together and then eating only between 4 pm and 10 pm. I did a few successful 24 hrs fasts and eventually found I was even able to train fasted for a couple hours at a time. I totally derailed this fall, when my Italian grandmother-in-law moved in and started baking fresh bread and cookies on a regular basis. If you know any old-school Italians, you know not only can they be persistent in their efforts to get you to eat, but they tend to take it as a personal affront, if you refuse. Anyway after Christmas, I was able to snap out of my carb coma, use my disgusting weight gain to justify my refusal of bread and cookies, and get back on track.

I'm a big fan of both LC and IF. I lost about 20 lbs last year (could stand to lose a few more), but more importantly I felt great and no longer felt like I was a slave to food (if that makes any sense).

Eating meals every 3 hours my ass.......

The Breakfast and meal frequency myths needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

I do IF.

This is what i do: I do a 24hr fast every Sunday afternoon/night till monday (whatever equals 24hrs). On the last hour of my fast, i would work out. I kid you not, i don't even use supplements anymore, the energy is insane, the mental clarity, and just your quality of life over all starts to clear up.

Throughout the week if its a healthy week, meaning not much partying, drinking, i would do 15 hour fast here and there.

I've lost about 20lbs and kept it off. I'm more ripped than i ever was, I appreciate alot of more in life that i used to take for granted. I can't eat too much now, plus i can't eat too sweet and super salty foods, thus making me more healthy. It's just like a cycle of good things when you fast.

During my 24hr fast, i would drink 1 cup of large black coffee through out, 2-3 cups of green tea, and 2-3L of water.

I hope this helps. I've had people tell me that i look bigger now, even though i've lost weight.

I'm quicker when i play hockey, more nimble, and i'm quicker in muay thai.

Plus fasting is good after a heavy night of partying on saturday night. Good way to detox.

Cheers

My IF plan is to fast from 6 pm to 12-1 PM. Do it every day. Works wonders. When combined with a lower carb diet you will have an insane amount of energy. I never get tired.

I have wanted to try longer fasts of 24-48 hour but my problem/question is:

Do you take supplements? I tried doing it while taking my multi and had a horrible taste in my mouth all day. Basically abandoned it because of that and went back to my standard schedule.

I am giving IF a shot but have a couple of questions. I am training 5 nights a week (BJJ and Muay Thai) and usually am not getting home till 9pm. I also run or lift weights in the mornings before work 3-4 days a week. Fasted training is not really going to happen for me for BJJ and Muay Thai, so is it better to have my largest and final meal pre-training or to have it afterwards right before I go to bed?

Wondering whether there would be an issue with having an eating window of 9am-5pm (with doing fasted cardio/lifting in the am) and fasting from 5-9am?

I've heard of this IF stuff before and I guess some people have really good things to say about it but I still don't understand how it works. Is there any sort of scientific explanation for it that isn't totally hibbity jibbity voodoo magic virgin mary praise allah type stuff? I always thought eating 6 meals a day with like 2-3 hours between meals was the best way to go about eating.

leangains.com has plenty of information on intermittent fasting for those interested. Rambo, there's a number of articles there where the science behind it is explained with some studies. Nemesis, The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health outlines some answers to your questions.

Thanks for the link, but honestly I still just don't get it. I mean I've read up on it a bit in the past and recently and even more today but I still simply don't understand how it makes any sense at all. I'm not an unintelligent person or anything of the sort. Its just I don't understand how it works or how any of it makes sense. To me its like this.

1. Don't eat for 16 hours
2. ....
3. Profit

Anyone want to try and explain it to me in stupid people terms? lol xD

Thanks for the link, but honestly I still just don't get it. I mean I've read up on it a bit in the past and recently and even more today but I still simply don't understand how it makes any sense at all. I'm not an unintelligent person or anything of the sort. Its just I don't understand how it works or how any of it makes sense. To me its like this.

1. Don't eat for 16 hours
2. ....
3. Profit

Anyone want to try and explain it to me in stupid people terms? lol xD

That's pretty much it in a nutshell lol.

Only eat in like a 5-7 hour period, only consume water in the rest of the day.

Some people also fast for an entire day at a time, then have a few normal days, followed by an entire day of fasting. Check out this article:

T NATION | John Berardi's Great Fasting Experiment

Last edited:
Back