Interstellar - does the plot make sense?

They just chose one of the more fanciful theoretical ideas of what would happen if somebody was to fall into a black-hole. That you become part of cosmos, part of everything and everywhere, all throughout time.

That bit sort of does make sense, at least according to some theoretical physicists (who's whole field involves speculating about the unprovable).

The over-arching plot about the crop blight is the main part that doesn't make sense. That doesn't trigger the need to leave the planet. That's the setup for a film about hermetically sealed greenhouses.
Okay but then if you are part of that cosmos, etc, why settle for shit tier ways of communicating with "present" humans like dust patterns and books falling down in the room of the little girl?

Okay but then if you are part of that cosmos, etc, why settle for shit tier ways of communicating with "present" humans like dust patterns and books falling down in the room of the little girl?
What would you have done? You can only use gravitational pulls. So you can’t write with a pen for example. I’m sure there is something better. But you are pretty limited.

It mostly makes sense.

1. Because that’s just how it happened. He landed to a point in her history that he knew she was finding clues in. Any point prior or after he doesn’t know if she is figuring it out. He had unlimited time since time stops in a black hole. But he only needed a point in her timeline he knew, or he would be searching for a while. And he could only communicate using gravity, so he had limited options in that room.

2. If it’s a really good watch, it should.
Ok thanks. But if he had unlimited time he could have looked for a much better opportunity to convey the info.

And the watch part still makes no sense.

It's one of the few movies where I just walked out of the theater halfway through

The amount of self-fart sniffing pseudointellectual sCiEnCe cringe C. Nolan puts out is breathtaking, and this takes the prize

If you think this is clever or cool (apart from the good looking cgi or M Mconagheys good acting) then I declare that you enjoy suckling on humanoid male phallus

No, it did not make sense
I think it s an amazing movie. Despite the parts I don t understand yet, there are a ton of gems in there in terms of philosophy. I want to understand the bizarre parts and evaluate if they are BS or not.

What would you have done? You can only use gravitational pulls. So you can’t write with a pen for example. I’m sure there is something better. But you are pretty limited.
Ok if he had unlimited time in the blackhole, why not look for a frame where she is already an adult? It was a super long shot that she would remember by accident the ghost stuff and that something was off 30 years later. It was a close shot and she almost didn'tget it. It worked by chance.

Ok if he had unlimited time in the blackhole, why not look for a frame where she is already an adult? It was a super long shot that she would remember by accident the ghost stuff and that something was off 30 years later. It was a close shot and she almost didn'tget it. It worked by chance.
With unlimited time I would think he could have.
I understand why he chose the time he did though, because he knew A. She was there B. She found most of the clues when she was a child.
But yeah, after that you would think he would have found a different time. Unless, it just had access to that one room. If the tesseract they made, only had unlimited time access to that one room, he would have been stuck picking times only she went in the room.
If they did that, it was on purpose. Due to the closed time loop. They knew she figured it out in that room, so the only location that he would have access to is her room. But he would have to decide the time he would message her. It does seem like he would have made more attempts with her as an adult.

The weirdest/most unbelievable part of that movie for me was the fact that there somehow was, like, a 100-meter high wave of water yet the depth of that ocean is only a few feet.

So, what, on the other side of that wave is no water whatsoever? It's all loaded up in that giant wave?

The weirdest/most unbelievable part of that movie for me was the fact that there somehow was, like, a 100-meter high wave of water yet the depth of that ocean is only a few feet.

So, what, on the other side of that wave is no water whatsoever? It's all loaded up in that giant wave?
It's just science bro

Believe it

I just enjoy the movie and don't really over think it. I do that for most movies honestly. They are supposed to be viewed for entertainment not for me to break down the science.

Imagine having this mindset going to like a John Wick movie? Like I'm supposed to believe after 4 movies this guy can kill like over 400 people and no one can stop him? It's nonsense but no one is making threads asking how John Wick is able to survive and kill so many people.

I just enjoy the movie and don't really over think it. I do that for most movies honestly. They are supposed to be viewed for entertainment not for me to break down the science.

Imagine having this mindset going to like a John Wick movie? Like I'm supposed to believe after 4 movies this guy can kill like over 400 people and no one can stop him? It's nonsense but no one is making threads asking how John Wick is able to survive and kill so many people.
I do not find this comparison valid at all. There is nothing to John Wick at all besides action scenes, while Interstellar has a lot depth, mind bending thoughts and philosophy.

I do not find this comparison valid at all. There is nothing to John Wick at all besides action scenes, while Interstellar has a lot depth, mind bending thoughts and philosophy.
Once again, It seems you are thinking too much. The comparison is valid. They are both movies, and both have unrealistic elements in them, but one has to be entirely logical, and the other can just be what it is. A fun little action flick.

It's a great movie. One of my all-time favs. Like @method115 said, just don't overthink it. It's suppose to have fiction in it and you just have to let go some of the irrational parts and just enjoy the film for what it is. It's entertaining and emotionally powerful at the same time.

10/10 film for me.

With unlimited time I would think he could have.
I understand why he chose the time he did though, because he knew A. She was there B. She found most of the clues when she was a child.
But yeah, after that you would think he would have found a different time. Unless, it just had access to that one room. If the tesseract they made, only had unlimited time access to that one room, he would have been stuck picking times only she went in the room.
If they did that, it was on purpose. Due to the closed time loop. They knew she figured it out in that room, so the only location that he would have access to is her room. But he would have to decide the time he would message her. It does seem like he would have made more attempts with her as an adult.
That doesn t explain why he only had access to that room in the first place, nor does it adress the fallacy here: she figured it out in that room because daddy give her signals from the future. So where does it start? This has no logic to me.

What I think is that he fell on that "little girl room chapter" randomly. He did have access to all of his daughter's life but it would have been millions of frames to look through so he sent the messages using what he could as he knew he had very limited time. In his time that whole thing only lasted a few minutes.

The part with the watch still doesn t make sense to me. As he is still influencing the watch 30 years later

Once again, It seems you are thinking too much. The comparison is valid. They are both movies, and both have unrealistic elements in them, but one has to be entirely logical, and the other can just be what it is. A fun little action flick.
No that comparison is absolutely terrible, lol, and it indicates to me that he possibly completely missed the point of Interstellar. Unless of course, they pulled a Lost and I am overthinking stuff that is not even intended to make sense.

No that comparison is absolutely terrible, lol, and it indicates to me that he possibly completely missed the point of Interstellar. Unless of course, they pulled a Lost and I am overthinking stuff that is not even intended to make sense.

What is it you think the point of Interstellar was?

tumblr_navwv0Skyd1sjgzipo1_500.gif
This is the greatest ad of all time:

nope it was super confusing it didn't even say when any of it was taking place like was it current times or way in the future? unless i missed that part but it was overall just kinda dumb.
It’s many years in the future. The teacher makes a comment about how Cooper drives that beat up, old truck and it was a new-ish Ram for when the movie came out

B1UWJYnCcAAKcul.jpg:large

Hmmm. Maybe you are, and maybe you’re not. I guess it depends on what you think it was trying to do in totality. Most SF, which is my favorite genre of fiction, often tries to make one think about a great many things, but only a few can really say they have an exact message they are trying to get across to the consumer. I myself would lump Interstellar into the former category. Though I would love to hear your thoughts on what you believe they are trying to say.

Back