Iraqi Kurdistan's President Masoud Barzani resigns after Independence push backfired

Good for them. I hope they can get it, although I highly doubt it can be accomplished peacefully. Kurds seem like one of the least shitty middle eastern groups, and the governments they live under don't care about them

I do hope the US stays out of it tho. Let the Kurds determine their own fate

Whole lot of countries that resemble iranian government and have been on the western payroll forever.
Shut the fuck up. All you're doing is dodging when I answered your stupid question with evidence. You wanted it, you got it. When I showed you that you were wrong, you just said a line that made no fucking sense and then tried to play it off like those countries were somehow all secretly on "the US payroll" as though they were little juntas.

It's not about Jesus vs. Muhammad. It's about Kurds not being a progressive people. They still mutilate their daughters. They're not even secular. Kurds are predominantly hard line Sunnis.

Let's see, they have hijab-less women walking around, they have all-female military units, their ideology (democratic confederalism, look it up) has women's equality as one of its main tenets... but somehow, inexplicably, they aren't progressive, 80% of them get genitally mutilated and the region isn't secular.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this.

(The only way out of this is that all these things are only true in Rojava, and radically different in other Kurdish regions)

It's good news for the kurds, but the cost for this is high. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility for Turkey to go nuclear over this. Definitely driving Turkey into Russia and Iran's arms here.

After defying ISIS, 'Kurds aren't afraid of anything'
By Tamara Qiblawi, CNN | September 27, 2017

170927180934-kurdish-referendum-voter-celebrates-irbil-super-169.jpg

(CNN) High-rise buildings surrounded by parks and villas pierce the skyline. Hotels and luxury cars dot the landscape. It would be easy to mistake this place for a neighborhood in uber-rich Dubai, but in fact it is downtown Irbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan.

Ahmad, a taxi driver, motions proudly to signs of his city's rapid development. He points out newly-built bridges and luxury housing projects and gestures to the tarmacked roads and wide pavements.

"Look at all this," says Ahmad, his eyes aglow in the rearview mirror. "People wonder why we want independence from Iraq, but all you need to do is look around you. We are light years ahead of Baghdad."

For now, the Kurdish-governed northern Iraqi region remains an island of stability in war-weary Iraq. People in Irbil say this has come about despite the central government in Baghdad, not because of it.

Kurdish leaders accuse the central government of widespread corruption, paving the way to many of Iraq's security woes -- including the rise of ISIS.

One of the largest Kurdistan flags in Irbil can be found draped over a large, hollowed-out luxury tower block. Its development ground to a halt in 2014 after ISIS emerged in nearby areas, putting an end to a nearly 10-year economic boom in the region.

Call to arms for Baghdad

But while the overwhelming 'yes' vote in Monday's referendum on Iraqi Kurdistan's independence was a materialization of the dreams of many Kurds, for Baghdad and its allies in Iran and Turkey, it is a call to arms.

After issuing multiple condemnations in the run-up to the plebiscite, the Iraqi Parliament voted Monday to authorize the use of force against Iraqi Kurdistan. Baghdad has given the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) until Friday to hand over the airports it administers in Irbil and Sulaymaniyah.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has declared the referendum "null and void" and his army has been conducting joint military exercises with the Iraqi army on their shared border. Meanwhile, Iran has threatened to seal its border with Iraqi Kurdistan, and has already closed its airspace to flights to and from the region.

Both Turkey and Iran have restive Kurdish populations and fear that an independent Iraqi Kurdistan could galvanize their own nationalist movements.

And it's not just Iraqi Kurdistan's neighbors who are irked by the specter of secession. Stern warnings have also come from the United States, the United Kingdom and the United Nations Security Council, which all argue that the vote detracts from the fight against ISIS.

In both Syria and Iraq, Kurdish fighters have been instrumental in the campaign against ISIS, which has left the terror group on its last legs. And Iraqi Kurdish leaders say it is time to reap the fruits of their labor.

For Kurds, statehood has been over a century in the making. Their calls for a Kurdish nation were ignored in a 1916 British-French secret agreement, known as Sykes-Picot, that drew the boundaries of the modern-day Middle East.

In the final treaty marking the conclusion of World War I, the Allies dropped demands for an autonomous Turkish Kurdistan. Instead, the Kurdish region was divided up among several countries.

Party atmosphere at polls

Drumbeats about war fall on deaf ears in the capital of would-be independent Kurdistan.

At the supermarkets, there is no rush to stockpile supplies. Irbil's mayor even assured locals Tuesday that there was no cause for alarm because "we have enough food for the next six months."

When people flocked to the polling stations -- referendum officials say the turnout was 76% -- the atmosphere was more reminiscent of a party than a political event.

Voters, many of them decked out in colorful traditional clothing, compared the referendum to the "biggest Eid," a reference to an important Muslim holiday.

Six-year-old Hidad wears an oversized head-wrap and traditional sirwal, or baggy trousers. He sticks his palm out to present three black pebbles.

"Each pebble tells Iraq 'I divorce you,'" his father explains. In Islam, a marriage is considered dissolved when a man utters "divorce" three times in the presence of his wife.

"The people are happy, and the people are the ones who will determine their fate and will therefore bear the consequences," Aso Karim Mohamad, 64, tells CNN.

Mohamad is a former member of the Kurdish Parliament who fought with the Peshmerga, the fighting force of Iraqi Kurdistan, in the bloody decade leading up to the creation of the KRG.

In 1988, then-President Saddam Hussein's forces killed an estimated 100,000 Kurds and destroyed more than 4,000 villages.

"I voted in '92 for the first time for the first Kurdish Parliament after our intifada," he says, referring to the 1991 Kurdish uprising against Hussein. "My feeling is the same today ... this is a great day in my life."

For many of the people of Iraqi Kurdistan, the Peshmerga -- credited with being a driving force in the fight against ISIS -- are the very reason they are throwing caution to the wind.

"The Kurds aren't afraid of anything, because of the Peshmerga," Kafiah al Raouf Sadik, an educational official, tells CNN. "God willing, we will achieve our goals here."

Refugees vote for security

At the Hassan Shami refugee camp midway between Mosul and Irbil, the mood is different. The sun beats down on inhabitants who spend their days standing in long food lines and end them sleeping in tarpaulin tents typically shared with around five other family members.

The UN Security Council has said it fears that the lives of these refugees may fall into limbo.

"Council members note that the planned referendum ... could detract from efforts to ensure the safe, voluntary return of over three million refugees and internally displaced persons," the Security Council said in a news release.

But camp manager Twana Anwar tells CNN he doesn't think their work will be affected: "I'm not pessimistic ... Humanitarian efforts should go on as normal."

The refugees here are mostly Arab, all survivors of ISIS, and they were invited to vote in Monday's referendum by the Kurdish charity group that controls the camp.

"People voted for Kurdistan, they voted for security," says Abu Ali, standing among a crowd of men who gather around the CNN team near the camp's entrance.

"I lost everything, my car, my house. What should one do?" the refugee from the destroyed town of Rabia asks. "I hold Baghdad's government responsible for what happened to me. Security, security, security. People want security."

Another Arab who works in the camp, Abu Mohammad, is an employee with the central government in Baghdad, but says he voted in favor of independence.

"If the Baghdad government were my dad, I would still vote against him," he says, sweat streaming down his face.

'We want safety'

Further into the camp, an elderly man named Abu Raed huddles with his friends under the bottom of a water tank dressed in Arab robes, seeking respite from the scorching sun.

He explains that the war with ISIS robbed him of all that he owns. "I'm an old person and after all I've been through I'm tired of life," he says. "It's a sin to say I want to die but I'm tired of life."

"After we saw ISIS, from what should we be afraid?" asks Um Mohammad, a Turkmen mother-of-four who lost her husband during her family's escape from ISIS.

A kite flies high over the camp, perhaps a better symbol than any other of the refugees' escape from ISIS -- like the Taliban in Afghanistan, the militant group had banned kite flying.

Upon closer inspection, it turns out the kite was constructed from a plastic bag and sticks by Waddah, aged nine.

"We were under ISIS for two-and-a-half years," his father Salhab Hussein explains.

"The children played indoors ... this is why we voted for Kurdistan ... We don't care who rules over us -- Kurd, Arab or Turkmen -- as long as they give us safety".

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/27/middleeast/kurdish-independent-state/index.html

Last edited:
I don't know where the hell you get that load of propaganda from, but the Assyrians actually living in the north have a very positive view on their Kurdish neighbors, most likely because of how well they are treated in the past decades and have long consider their ways of life to intertwine with the Kurds.

Choosing between living free in an independent Kurdistan (with reserved seats for them in the Kurdish Parliament) or being massacred by the Islamic Caliphate while waiting for the Iraqi Government to help is an easy choice, and most Assyrians sure as hell don't want to go at it alone like you're insinuating, knowing they would quickly ends up in an ISIS mass grave.

Assyrian Bitterness and the Kurds
By Rudaw21/1/2016

188143Image1.jpg

The Assyrians of northwest Iraq and northeast Syria can legitimately lay claim to being one of the oldest indigenous peoples of the Middle East. Christian speakers of Aramaic, they trace their culture, history and collective identity to the Assyrian empire that collapsed in the 7th century B.C.. With the exception of the Jews and the Persians, few peoples in the region can clearly trace their community to such ancient roots. The Assyrians are also sometimes referred to as Syriacs or Chaldeans, among other names (generally depending on their particular approach to Christianity).

While groups such as the Palestinians claim descent from Canaanites, and the Kurds claim roots in the Medes civilization, such links appear tenuous because the Palestinians and Kurds only “discovered” these lineages recently (for instrumental reasons in all likelihood), and they hardly kept Canaanite or Medes culture and identity alive over the centuries. Assyrians, Jews and Persians, in contrast, maintained a clear ideational link to the ancient cultures, languages and national territory of the Assyria, Israel and Persia. They did so since long before modern nationalism gave them a reason to.

In more modern times, the fate of the Assyrian people turned tragic. From the time of the Islamic conquests to the present, the Assyrians suffered continuous massacres and repression. Often working as tools of Ottoman, Persian or more contemporary Arab, Persian and Turkish states, Kurdish tribes carried out raids, massacres and conquests against Assyrian communities. In my course on political violence, I give my students a short article by Nuri Kino about “Seyfo” (Sword), the period around World War One when the Ottoman Empire pursued a “final solution” against the indigenous Christian communities of Anatolia. Almost without exception, the students have never heard of this terrible episode in history.

Whereas mainstream Turkish, Arab and Iranian societies likewise remain willfully ignorant of this history, most Kurds acknowledge the terrible role their forefathers played in these events. Kurdish leaders in both Iraq and Turkey have referred to this era as a source of shame for them, and worked hard to acknowledge the Assyrians’ identity, language, culture and place in today’s society. Kurdish-run municipalities in Turkey went to the trouble of publishing materials in Aramaic for the area’s remaining Assyrians, and the pro-Kurdish parties there even recently elected the first Assyrian member of Turkey’s parliament. In Iraqi Kurdistan, the Kurds have reserved seats for the Assyrian community in their parliament since they established it in 1992. They went out of their way to assure the protection of modern Assyrian communities, culture and language. In Syria, the Democratic Union Party (PYD) insisted that Assyrians be included in the various cantons’ top administrative bodies, and the People’s Protection Units (YPG) incorporated and armed many Assyrians into their fighting force.

Assyrians I have known in Iraq and Syria were all well aware of this. Their attitude towards the Kurds was thus largely positive, although often still ambivalent as well given their difficult history. While living in Iraq in 2003, I spent a lot of time with Assyrians and Chaldeans in Duhok, Mosul, Qaraqosh and Baghdad as I conducted a capacity and needs assessment of their NGOs (in order to help them receive a large sum of financial aid from a Christian charity in Canada). The Assyrians in the north saw a future for themselves with the Kurds, although some of those I spoke to in Baghdad had different views. For the most part, their attitude was a realistic, moderate approach, focused on safeguarding their communities and being part of whatever political institutions (including those of Kurdistan) that would help them do so.

In contrast, the diaspora Assyrian community could not seem more different. Their politics appear to be made up of bitter nationalist victimhood, mired in past injustices. A perusal of their publications and activities shows a movement focused on blaming the Kurds for almost everything. Article after article published in English by the Assyrian diaspora portrays a saintly, peaceful Assyrian community perpetually attacked by Kurdish savages, with condemnation of the Islamic State and other jihadis coming almost as an afterthought.

Let us set aside for a moment inconvenient truths, such as the Assyrian empire’s myriad conquests (dispersing the 12 tribes of northern Israel into oblivion, for example), Assyrian raids on neighboring communities in the 19th century and before, or how the British and French colonialists recruited Assyrian troops to help them quell rebelling Muslims (including the Kurds). The elderly Assyrian men I met in Iraq, some of whom served in the Royal Air Force, may well have helped bomb the likes of Sheikh Mahmoud Barzinji’s villages (although I would never be so impolite as to ask that question to an elder of that age).

The Assyrians do their community no good when they deny the Kurds’ own tragedies, or even reject the notion of a Kurdish land, identity and language (referring instead to “scattered tribes that spoke dialects of Persian”). The discourse often borders on racist, with sentences like “Deception is an art and the Kurds have perfected it.” They even pedal fantastic conspiracy theories, accusing the Kurds in Syria of having purposefully provoked the Islamic State into attacking Assyrian villages so that the YPG could come in and present itself as the Assyrians’ saviors. They take isolated political incidents, such as a quarrel over a piece of property or a skirmish between a pro-Assad Assyrian militia in Qamishly and the YPG, and cast them as part of an endless story of Kurdish depravation.

Such attitudes seem more than a little ironic, since without the YPG and the Peshmerga, the Assyrians of northern Syria and Iraq would all likely be dead, lying in some jihadist-dug mass grave. The diaspora Assyrian community should thus consider doing what their relatives still living in the homeland are increasingly busy with – taking the hand of friendship and reconciliation that the Kurds have extended. They need not forget their history in the process, of course, and deeper reconciliation takes a lot of time and effort from everyone concerned. A lack of empathy for the other and a discourse unable to rise above victimhood will get the Assyrians nothing, however. In the sorry neighborhood that the Middle East has become, the Kurds are probably the Assyrians’ best friend, neighbor and hope for the future.

David Romano has been a Rudaw columnist since 2010. He holds the Thomas G. Strong Professor of Middle East Politics at Missouri State University and is the author of numerous publications on the Kurds and the Middle East.

http://www.rudaw.net/english/opinion/21012016
So the Assyrians who live among the Kurds tend to have a positive view, those further away in Baghdad a more ambiguous one, and the diaspora out of the country have the worst view.

Or in other words, the closer the Assyrians are to the Kurds and the more they interact with them the more positive their view and further away and the more they rely on historical narratives and propaganda the worse their view. Pretty revealing...

Last edited:
So then why do they have so many hijab-less women fighting in their ranks?
Your average Kurd is more religious than your average Turk but the Kurds who form the regional governments and fight for them are likely more attuned to the official Kurdish ideology which is secular. For the first few electoral wins for Erdogan I remember reading that more Kurds voted for the AKP than for the Kurdish nationalist party in Turkey because the latter are like nonviable third parties in the US and since they're more religious the AKP was more their style than for an urbanized and secular Turk.
Get off the soapbox dude. The Iranians are not open to or capable of being friendly with us while this government is in power.
Can't blame them. We supported the Shah and constantly antagonize them. Remember "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran"? We put them on the so called axis of evil and were beating the war drums when we invaded Iraq. I feel for the US soldiers killed but the Iranians and Syrians were acting completely logically from a self preservation standpoint by fucking us over in Iraq. Making Iraq a quagmire means we were less likely to invade either of those countries and it basically worked, American appetite for war died with the headache of Iraq.

The Iranian regime is terrible but IMO mostly for what it does to its own people. I don't see how Americans can play victim when it comes to Iran when we're the ones who invaded two nations at their borders and constantly threaten them. Are they crazy for taking our threats seriously?

Can't blame them. We supported the Shah and constantly antagonize them. Remember "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran"? We put them on the so called axis of evil and were beating the war drums when we invaded Iraq. I feel for the US soldiers killed but the Iranians and Syrians were acting completely logically from a self preservation standpoint by fucking us over in Iraq. Making Iraq a quagmire means we were less likely to invade either of those countries and it basically worked, American appetite for war died with the headache of Iraq.

The Iranian regime is terrible but IMO mostly for what it does to its own people. I don't see how Americans can play victim when it comes to Iran when we're the ones who invaded two nations at their borders and constantly threaten them. Are they crazy for taking our threats seriously?
I get them acting in their own interests and all, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to forget about what they did to us. Just because it's logical doesn't mean that I'm on board with it. And truth be told, I don't think we could have managed fighting wars in 3 countries simultaneously, much less pay for it all. Shit, fighting 2 was more than difficult enough, and the results weren't great.

Let's not portray Iran as a victim here either. They definitely like to rattle the saber themselves, so by the same logic, anything that the Israelis do to Iran is justified then, no? And the Iranians have no problem meddling outside of their own borders. Honestly, they're kind of like a B-rate bully. They only like to fight the tougher kids when the tougher kids are already fighting someone else, and they like to pick on the smaller kids. They never go toe-to-toe with anyone their own size or bigger.

I get them acting in their own interests and all, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to forget about what they did to us. Just because it's logical doesn't mean that I'm on board with it. And truth be told, I don't think we could have managed fighting wars in 3 countries simultaneously, much less pay for it all. Shit, fighting 2 was more than difficult enough, and the results weren't great.
By any reasonable standard we started it. As I said, we're the ones that supported a vicious dictatorship that had few qualms about using extreme violence against its own people. We overthrew their democratically elected government to make sure said dictatorship survived so we even betrayed our own values. We supported a maniac in his war against them in which produced 1 million deaths on both sides. As far as the tally goes, we've done them worse then the reverse.

Again, I feel for the US soldiers who were killed or hurt as a result of Iranian meddling in Iraq and elsewhere. They're not formulating foreign policy, they're just paying for it. But diplomacy shouldn't be dictated by revenge. If the Iranians can set aside the past transgressions of the US, which are greater, towards its people then we should as well and seek peace.
Let's not portray Iran as a victim here either. They definitely like to rattle the saber themselves, so by the same logic, anything that the Israelis do to Iran is justified then, no? And the Iranians have no problem meddling outside of their own borders. Honestly, they're kind of like a B-rate bully. They only like to fight the tougher kids when the tougher kids are already fighting someone else, and they like to pick on the smaller kids. They never go toe-to-toe with anyone their own size or bigger.
Iran isn't innocent but they've been far less aggressive in the region than the US. Israel has legit beef with them so if they don't want to ally with Iran then fine. But we shouldn't let a junior partner like them ruin our chances of establishing warmer relations with Iran. If anything in a more perfect world better relations between Iran and the US can lead to better relations between Israel and Iran.

Besides, Iranian meddling outside their borders tends to be within the region, not halfway around the world like the US. No reasonable person can say Iran is a serious threat to the US but the US is most certainly an existential threat to Iran.

Last edited:
By any reasonable standard we started it. As I said, we're the ones that supported a vicious dictatorship that had few qualms about using extreme violence against its own people. We overthrew their democratically elected government to make sure said dictatorship survived so we even betrayed our own values. We supported a maniac in his war against them in which produced 1 million deaths on both sides. As far as the tally goes, we've done them worse then the reverse.

Again, I feel for the US soldiers who were killed or hurt as a result of Iranian meddling in Iraq and elsewhere. They're not formulating foreign policy, they're just paying for it. But diplomacy shouldn't be dictated by revenge. If the Iranians can set aside the past transgressions of the US, which are greater, towards its people then we should as well and seek peace.

Iran isn't innocent but they've been far less aggressive in the region than the US. Israel has legit beef with them so if they don't want to ally with Iran then fine. But we shouldn't let a junior partner like them ruin our chances of establishing warmer relations with Iran. If anything in a more perfect world better relations between Iran and the US can lead to better relations between Israel and Iran.

Besides, Iranian meddling outside their borders tends to be within the region, not halfway around the world like the US. No reasonable person can say Iran is a serious treat to the US but the US is most certainly an existential threat to Iran.
Foreign policy doesn't need to be dictated by asking ourselves what we would have done in their shoes either. Foreign policy is about one thing: promoting our interests. That requires long-term strategic thinking, and does being friendly to Iran promote those interests? I'm skeptical.

Iran is also a lot less capable than we are, so yeah, we've had further reach. In my mind, that's just a physics question, nothing more.

And what if we prioritize our friendship with Israel more than a relationship with Iran? Because that's what we've done, for better or worse. We can debate that all day, but it's a separate issue. The issue at hand is if normalizing a relationship with Iran is in our interests. Again, I'm skeptical. I think it's assuming a lot of risk without much prospect of gain.

Foreign policy doesn't need to be dictated by asking ourselves what we would have done in their shoes either. Foreign policy is about one thing: promoting our interests. That requires long-term strategic thinking, and does being friendly to Iran promote those interests? I'm skeptical.

Iran is also a lot less capable than we are, so yeah, we've had further reach. In my mind, that's just a physics question, nothing more.

And what if we prioritize our friendship with Israel more than a relationship with Iran? Because that's what we've done, for better or worse. We can debate that all day, but it's a separate issue. The issue at hand is if normalizing a relationship with Iran is in our interests. Again, I'm skeptical. I think it's assuming a lot of risk without much prospect of gain.
Right but as Undying said our frigid relations has more to do with our alliances in the Middle East than their government. Their form of government is arguably the result of our meddling in their affairs and the use of our regional alliances to fuck them over. And yet even still the few democratically accountable institutions in their country show the people slowly turning towards better relations with the West. There are even clerical factions that support more moderate approaches to FP and back the Rouhani government.

If anything our government is the impediment to peace. When we antagonize them, they close ranks and the critical reformists have a tougher time pushing their agenda. When we extend a hand, we see there are those willing to take it as the Rouhani government showed with the nuclear deal. He won his reelection so it shows that a less antagonistic posture can help nudge their weird system in the right direction. A revolution on the other hand can backfire and lead to a purging of the more moderate elements as happened with the aftermath of 1979

Sounds like the perfect time for the USA to not get involved

Right but as Undying said our frigid relations has more to do with our alliances in the Middle East than their government. Their form of government is arguably the result of our meddling in their affairs and the use of our regional alliances to fuck them over. And yet even still the few democratically accountable institutions in their country show the people slowly turning towards better relations with the West. There are even clerical factions that support more moderate approaches to FP and back the Rouhani government.

If anything our government is the impediment to peace. When we antagonize them, they close ranks and the critical reformists have a tougher time pushing their agenda. When we extend a hand, we see there are those willing to take it as the Rouhani government showed with the nuclear deal. He won his reelection so it shows that a less antagonistic posture can help nudge their weird system in the right direction. A revolution on the other hand can backfire and lead to a purging of the more moderate elements as happened with the aftermath of 1979
So this is more game theory. Do you open your arms for an embrace and accept that someone may take the opportunity to shoot you in the chest? Or do you play it safe and keep your defensive posture, knowing that they’ll do the same thing? Personally, I’m comfortable waiting for them to make the first move towards peace with us. They can drop the whole hardline Islamist thing whenever they want, and I don’t feel compelled to risk our safety or the safety of our allies. This system and it’s problems aren’t good, but trading it for a new set of problems may be considerably worse.

So this is more game theory. Do you open your arms for an embrace and accept that someone may take the opportunity to shoot you in the chest? Or do you play it safe and keep your defensive posture, knowing that they’ll do the same thing? Personally, I’m comfortable waiting for them to make the first move towards peace with us. They can drop the whole hardline Islamist thing whenever they want, and I don’t feel compelled to risk our safety or the safety of our allies. This system and it’s problems aren’t good, but trading it for a new set of problems may be considerably worse.
I'd say the first has been made with the nuclear deal and the people of Iran support that as evidenced by their reelection of Rouhani. We can look at that and remain defensive and antagonistic, which if history is any indication only empowers the radicals, or we can try to oblige them and work towards better relations, which would seem to empower the moderates.

I'd say the first has been made with the nuclear deal and the people of Iran support that as evidenced by their reelection of Rouhani. We can look at that and remain defensive and antagonistic, which if history is any indication only empowers the radicals, or we can try to oblige them and work towards better relations, which would seem to empower the moderates.
But how many nuclear deals will it take to get them to a place of normalcy? I think that we could eventually get to a place that you’re describing, but I think we’d be making a ton of concessions along the way. I think we would be giving too many concessions for a prize that honestly isn’t worth the price, and probability of success is far too low. And what would our allies think? Our favorable treatment of Iran may lose us influence or favor in places that we need it more than in Tehran.

All things are possible in a vacuum. It’s just a question of what you’re willing to invest to get there. Right now, the price of friendship isn’t known by anyone. But I’m willing to bet that they’d try to rake us over the coals when it comes to negotiating, and they’d be unwilling to bend on too many issues, as they’ve shown before.

Shut the fuck up. All you're doing is dodging when I answered your stupid question with evidence. You wanted it, you got it. When I showed you that you were wrong, you just said a line that made no fucking sense and then tried to play it off like those countries were somehow all secretly on "the US payroll" as though they were little juntas.

so saudi arabia and kuwait are not authoritarian states propped up by the west (including america). Stay triggerred lmao

so saudi arabia and kuwait are not authoritarian states propped up by the west (including america). Stay triggerred lmao
I knew you’d say the word triggered. It’s the defense of someone who is honestly too stupid to come up with a legitimate argument.

And no, Kuwait is not an authoritarian state propped up by the West. Ever been there? You’d see that your analysis is totally false, as per usual. As for Saudi Arabia, aren’t we the ones in their back pockets? Isn’t that the reason we didn’t try to hold them accountable after 16/19 hijackers were from there? I thought they were the ones who owned us? Give me a break, and just grow up. You add no value to any discussion, but keep trying to make yourself feel better through bullshit lines that a high schooler might use.

But how many nuclear deals will it take to get them to a place of normalcy? I think that we could eventually get to a place that you’re describing, but I think we’d be making a ton of concessions along the way. I think we would be giving too many concessions for a prize that honestly isn’t worth the price, and probability of success is far too low. And what would our allies think? Our favorable treatment of Iran may lose us influence or favor in places that we need it more than in Tehran.

All things are possible in a vacuum. It’s just a question of what you’re willing to invest to get there. Right now, the price of friendship isn’t known by anyone. But I’m willing to bet that they’d try to rake us over the coals when it comes to negotiating, and they’d be unwilling to bend on too many issues, as they’ve shown before.
What kind of concessions are you talking about?

I would be so glad to see this happen in my lifetime.

Can you create a poll for this thread Mick? As always, it add clarity to the debate when we know where everyone stands on the subject.

Do you support an independent Kurdistan?
- YES! Kurdistan should become an independent nation.
- NO! Kurdistan should remains a semi-autonomous region of Iraq.

Also, feel free to clean up any posts that strays too far from the topic of discussion, thanks!

Last edited:
Back