ironwolf's Tales From The East Chinese Pub. No Canadians, Gays or Obama voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never driven much in Montreal. Usually it's off the highway and straight to the hotel and then I ditch the car until it's time to head home.

Driving in Ireland was an experience. Obviously the first issue is that they drive on the left side of the road but surprisingly it only took a couple days to get used to that and it became second nature. The more harrowing experience was driving along the skinny, winding roads with a tall hedgerow or stone wall next to your car and some local barreling up the road behind you. I got pretty good at finding the small spots where you can pull over to let them pass without totally stopping.

On the plus side, there was almost no traffic except around Galway and Dublin and driving through roundabouts was a lot of fun.

Your Ireland driving sounds similar to some of the drives I've had in the Scottish Highlands, and also parts of Cornwall, south west England, bit hairy if you're not used to it, but the locals tear around like nobody's business.

Your Ireland driving sounds similar to some of the drives I've had in the Scottish Highlands, and also parts of Cornwall, south west England, bit hairy if you're not used to it, but the locals tear around like nobody's business.

Went to St. Ives last year, like wtf? The actual little seaside village part, theres little cobble roads that are practically vertical!

3,Cobbled-Street,PW-111112-0281.jpg

Picture doesn't give it any justice, but that's steep as fuark.

Last edited:
You guys think driving in the Western world is bad?! Try China. Here's a video of a guy purposely scaring his visiting friend. He's hamming it up, but you actually come across HEAPS of people driving like this all the time, especially the professional drivers, one of whom we hired...

There's no speed limits, no lanes, people go into the oncoming if it suits them....

Our scariest moment was our driver overtaking a bus around a blind corner going up a cliff, with no railing whatsoever. Actually thought we'd die.

[YT]watch?v=WsIYkxJedak[/YT]

Any of you boys US College Basketball fans??
This is a fun time of year.

Ironwolf, have you used a carbon fiber paddle? I used a CF greenland paddle I borrowed to practice rolling a while back and paddling with that caused me no pain. Wondering if CF helped.

I have used them a bit, in fact he puddle that is in my garage back in the states is a cf paddle.

I'm not sure carbon in and of itself would help your hands but perhaps the grip shape/size was suitable for you or the blade size may have allowed you to make food strokes with less force.

Is say that if that paddle worked for you, then buy that same one.

I will. I'll fucking wreck 'em, mate.

I have used them a bit, in fact he puddle that is in my garage back in the states is a cf paddle.

I'm not sure carbon in and of itself would help your hands but perhaps the grip shape/size was suitable for you or the blade size may have allowed you to make food strokes with less force.

Is say that if that paddle worked for you, then buy that same one.

Yeah, it was a Greenland style paddle so it could have been the shape too. I might bite the bullet and get a CF euro paddle just to try it, I need a spare anyway. The first roll I did was with a wooden greenland paddle and I don't remember my hands feeling great after that like I did with the carbon one.

It was kinda like the difference between a carbon bike and an aluminum one.

Yeah, it was a Greenland style paddle so it could have been the shape too. I might bite the bullet and get a CF euro paddle just to try it, I need a spare anyway. The first roll I did was with a wooden greenland paddle and I don't remember my hands feeling great after that like I did with the carbon one.

It was kinda like the difference between a carbon bike and an aluminum one.

Yeah, the carbon ones could have more flex than an aluminum one....or less, they can make carbon stiff as hell these days. If the paddle has a little more spring to it, it might be just the cushion your hands need.

Went to St. Ives last year, like wtf? The actual little seaside village part, theres little cobble roads that are practically vertical!

Did you eat at The Rum & Crab Shack? I love that place. (I appreciate that you don't like rum so it may not hold the same appeal).

So UK...who wants to play them?

Notre Dame or Louisville will not be intimidated. UK had a ridiculously easy regular season and plays in a weak conference. I will be exceedingly impressed if they take it all the way.

Beating WVU doesn't mean much, IMO.

Have you watched Kentucky play? UK's bigger & more athletic at every position than anyone they play. And they bring guys off the bench who are also bigger & more athletic than anyone on the other team. Also, they already beat Louisville this year.

I'm excited for the ND game on Saturday, hopefully its not a blow out.

And I'll also be impressed if they go undefeated & win the whole thing - but just because perfection is really hard. If college bball had 5 or 7 game series like the NBA there's no question Kentucky wins the whole thing. But since its one game & out, they could have an off game & somebody else could have a great 3-point shooting night...it's possible, but the stars have to align. And the thing that makes that tough is that Kentucky's strength is defense. Even if they aren't hitting their shots, they can still play lock down defense.

Lol at this "UK has an easy schedule/plays in a shit conference" argument people are making. Dude's look like men among boys.

Did you eat at The Rum & Crab Shack? I love that place. (I appreciate that you don't like rum so it may not hold the same appeal).

I dont think so, we did eat at one if the restaurants on the front but I cant remember what it was called. Banging pastys doh.

I don't know anyone who would deny that UK is a great team and the rightful #1 seed and favorite.

But the SEC is a weak BB conference and UK had a chill regular season.

On most SOS rankings Kentucky is lucky to be in the top 20. That's just a fact. It doesn't make them any worse as a team, it just means they were able to avoid a lot of challenges. Perfect seasons are perfect storms. Things have to line up just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back