Is 265 lbs weight limit right thing?

I mean, I'll watch any weight class but it needs to show at least reasonable skill and be mildly entertaining.

Outside of Freak Fights I can't think of much (but I did just wake up)...

Maybe in the d leagues. How do these fighters make it in the ufc pray tell. Francis would starch them in ten seconds.
No not just in the d leagues.

Not until everybody who needs makes the 265 limit looks like Ubereem did... so many fatties within such a physically demanding sport.

Everyone can make 265 if they aren't on PEDs or ridiculously fat. The UFC bans PEDs and nobody wants to see guy that is 5'9 310 lbs. Even if you are 285 you can cut 20 lbs to make 265.

The only exception would be if there was a 7' + guy with a large build similar to a Shaq or Yao Ming, but those guys are crazy outliers never seen in MMA except for that crazy Korean with pituitary issues who was like 7'6. But even he sucked at fighting.

I think even Shaq could have made 265 in his younger days post college.

But wait a minute. Your argument is solid against introducing Super Heavyweight. But what downside is there to simply removing the 265 ceiling? if there are no suitable huge guys, just don't sign them. Removing the ceiling does not require signing anyone who can't cut the mustard. But if, on some rare occasion, a qualified, giant athlete shows up, he can be brought in. Win, win, eh (as the Canadians say)?

The downside is that human Burger Kings like Collier/Huggy Bear will sign for a fight and come in at literally 350 lbs when given a license to be as fat as they want to. Nobody wants to see that.

Show us those +265lbs fighters getting left out, i mean, if they are in shape at 280 they can "easily" cut to 265lbs, who are we missing with a 265lbs limit so hard to make?

I would be find with 300lbs.

Teddy Rinner can't make 265 but could 300

The downside is that human Burger Kings like Collier/Huggy Bear will sign for a fight and come in at literally 350 lbs when given a license to be as fat as they want to. Nobody wants to see that.
Nobody is twisting the UFC's arm to sign a fatso. But as for what people want to see, check the PBP thread. Barnett was getting enormous props.

Edit: I forgot that the commissions determine the ranges for each division, so this entire thread is moot. No longer interested.

Last edited:
Is 265 lbs weight limit right thing? Or UFC should get rid of it & make openweight category?

Isn't it unfair to the 300+ lbs heavyweights?

Right or wrong, UFC is regulated by the states.

So the UFC has 3 choices:

1. Lobby the AC's to merge HW and SHW.
2. Add a SHW division.
3. Do nothing.

They have chosen the path of least resistance. And it's probably the right thing to do in this situation of working with a regulator.

In an alternate universe where they have no regulator, they have probably merged the 2 divisions.

The answer is very simple why there’s a 265 pound weight limit:

Because Dana White is very scared that a bunch of top Japanese Sumo wrestlers (with some MMA training) would come in and dominate the UFC.

That’s the real reason.

No. It's really dumb considering highschool and college wrestling heavyweight is 285lbs.

MMA heavyweight should be 285.

Time and time again it is proven the best HWs are in the 220-250lb range. I see no issue with removing the 265 weight limit. Who gives a shit if there isnt much talent on the top end no one should have to cut to HW.

Show us those +265lbs fighters getting left out, i mean, if they are in shape at 280 they can "easily" cut to 265lbs, who are we missing with a 265lbs limit so hard to make?
But why should anyone have to cut to 265? This is a pretty silly argument, just make it open ended and move on with life. There isnt going to be many champions over 265 anyways.

If I were Dana I would never go beyond 265.

Imo it starts becoming more dangerous when guys that big are throwing at each other. Both from the power guys that big would have, but also the strain on their hearts being that big.

It would probably result in a death sooner or later, or at least increase the likelihood of one. And the upside for having huge guys fight isn't worth it, since with USADA around the Super HW's would look more like Butterbean than Bob Sapp. Just not worth it for the UFC, imo.

I don't even know what is the argument for max cap on heavyweight, I consider heavyweight should be the best of the sport with no handicap, like kickboxing, or boxing, or weight lifting. and therefore would prefer that it is open weight rather than the current system.

The 265 limit is stupid. The whole point of HW is that there is no limit. Every other combat sport doesn't have a limit since there's a point of diminishing returns. Just because you're a giant football player doesn't mean you're going to be able to compete the better HWs.

Nobody is twisting the UFC's arm to sign a fatso. But as for what people want to see, check the PBP thread. Barnett was getting enormous props.

Edit: I forgot that the commissions determine the ranges for each division, so this entire thread is moot. No longer interested.

I thought the fight was ridiculous and awful, but that's just me. Two fat whales that gassed in 30 seconds throwing haymakers. That was BKFC type stuff. Might as well book Dada vs. Kimbo level fights. That was also "entertaining."

The problem is with no limit the fat but not totally obese, after they are signed for a fight, can go totally off the rails and show up weighing 350 lbs. It's a joke and a mockery of the sport. If you don't have the discipline to be 285 and cut down to 265 you have no business even being in the world's premier professional MMA organization.

Barnett was 267. That's with a limit. Dude could have showed up at 350 easily after a few more trips to mcdicks. Does he even train at all?

Back