Is a Prime Jon Jones the best fighter ever?

CodCommando

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching jones old fights, specifically, vs Shogun and Lyoto. I forgot how unstoppable he was.

10.gif

DimwittedBackBighorn-size_restricted.gif

5OcLk8Z.gif

He's like a Tootsie roll Tootsie Pop. The world will never know.

Either Jones or Fedor.

Last edited:
I think the Jones the night he beat Shogun beats any fighter P4P on any night, yes.

No, the best fighter ever doesn't constantly make excuses to duck HW. He has trained with guys like Arlovski and Mir and then always says he doesn't want to fight real big guys. He knows how it goes in training. We have also seen he always looks human against guys at LHW who are close to his size. He knows how it will go. He won't even fight Cormier at HW and he has beat him before at LHW. You can't be the best fighter ever if you duck the hardest weight class.

I think he might have peaked early and his prime victims during that time were dudes on the come down (except for maybe Lyoto) that couldn’t handle his length and grappling abilities. That’s just a maybe though.

THE Best fighter ever discussions are really tough. Especially when you have to take into consideration the quality of opponents, the adversity they face, the PED allegations/confirmations, the era they fight in, etc. However, I can say he’s definitely among the best fighters ever. He’s part of the group.

I still have a FIGHT! Magazine from 2009 (or maybe 2010) where they had this spread about Jon Jones, and how he would really change the game and become one of the best, etc. How he was able to easily soak up what was being taught to him, like he really was some MMA savant (not just some guy on PEDS; the guy really had the goods) Ten years later and it’s crazy how prescient that article was.

Last edited:
Of course he is. Its pretty obvious.

Prime GSP beats Prime Khabib
Prime Silva beats Prime GSP
Prime Jones beats Prime Silva
Prime Fedor beats Prime Jones

Is normal.

Yes, he is the best to ever do it. He really has all the tools and creativity. PEDs can help with that but he’s fought many juiced opponents and was head and shoulders above them. There’s something more than just PEDs going on.

If DC had gotten into MMA earlier he might have been able to beat him. I don’t know but it’s a fight I would have loved to see.

I think the Jones the night he beat Shogun beats any fighter P4P on any night, yes.
I think he beats GSP, Silva, and Fedor but loses to Aldo

A LHW sized Prime Aldo would be all wrong for Jones imo

TDD and scrambling to avoid being held down, leg kicks to chop away at Jones' base and better boxing.

At openweight he would lose to prime DC.

Just a year ago he refused to fight a 40 year old DC at HW saying he didnt want to risk giving DC the "advantage" lol

Back