Is Adesanya #2 MW in ufc history a general opinion here?

I would say that they are rather close. I honestly have no real preference. Volk isn't going to have the long streak in terms of title defenses but you can argue he fought better guys.
Agreed. Although, if he gets past ilia, i just can’t see evloev being that tough of a match up. Allen would be very tough though I believe

Agreed. Although, if he gets past ilia, i just can’t see evloev being that tough of a match up. Allen would be very tough though I believe
I think he is on his way to being number 1. It’s just you know how sherdog is if he loses. We will have the Aldo is the greatest FW thread etc etc.

Poatan was drained at MW & so was his chin. Would like to see that fight at LHW or even open weight.

Honestly thought Adesanya pulled off the hail mary to win that fight

A counter lunch from a counter puncher (let alone 3 in a row) isn't a hail mary, its a gameplan lol

Poatan made that weight like 7x before v that with no issues, not Izzys fault he cuts from HW, thats his decision.

Agree I'd love to see a rematch at LHW but the fact that you have to give the bigger guy even more advantages just shows your disdain for Izzy lol who else in the sport can slay the divisions boogeyman and STILL have to go up in weight and face them with less of a cut in order to get his props?

Imagine how a fight with prime Andy vs Strickland on the feet would look, lol.

Number 2, yes, but by a large margin.

Yep. I don't care for Izzy, but I can't argue for Franklin, Weidman or anyone else deserving the #2 spot.

A counter lunch from a counter puncher (let alone 3 in a row) isn't a hail mary, its a gameplan lol

Poatan made that weight like 7x before v that with no issues, not Izzys fault he cuts from HW, thats his decision.

Agree I'd love to see a rematch at LHW but the fact that you have to give the bigger guy even more advantages just shows your disdain for Izzy lol who else in the sport can slay the divisions boogeyman and STILL have to go up in weight and face them with less of a cut in order to get his props?
Im from New Zealand, no disdain.

I just felt like once again Izzy was backing up like he has in his last three fights. Pereira landed good shots prior to being KOd.

Had Pereira been a little more measured/patient like he trained Strickland to do hed have been a lot more successful.

Izzys fought from HW to MW his whole combat career. Very little if any advantage for Pereira imo

He’s greater than Silva imo. Anderson’s competition would be mopped by modern fighters like Whittaker, Pereira and Costa. Anderson probably loses to everyone in top 5.

Why? Why does it check out? Explain to me instead of being snarky

Because you make random claims that have no rational thinking behind it. In no way shape or form is Yoel #2 a reasonable take. Ask people here and you'll have the same answer from 90% of them

This kind of answer would have surprised me coming from a veteran poster. Doesn't surprise me coming from a 2023 newcomer

Because you make random claims that have no rational thinking behind it. In no way shape or form is Yoel #2 a reasonable take. Ask people here and you'll have the same answer from 90% of them

This kind of answer would have surprised me coming from a veteran poster. Doesn't surprise me coming from a 2023 newcomer
Why is it not a reasonable take? There are plenty of people that think he got robbed against whittaker costa and adesanya

that makes

Tavares
Kennedy
Brunson
Machida
Weidman
Rockhold
Whittaker
Adesanya

5 former or current champions when he beat them

one loss in his prime to Whittaker that he avenged

Why is it not a reasonable take? There are plenty of people that think he got robbed against whittaker costa and adesanya

that makes

Tavares
Kennedy
Brunson
Machida
Weidman
Rockhold
Whittaker
Adesanya

Even if you think Whittaker Romero 2 is a draw (which is something that could be discussed), Whittaker clearly won the first fight.
Costa clearly won the fight.
The adesanya fight was a snoozer but Romero did nothing except wait for a big counter.
Rockhold was on his way to retirement

- Adesanya beat Whittaker twice, ko'd him the first time.
- He avenged his loss against double champ Pereira and ko'd him.
- He ko'd Costa and humiliated him
- He beat Cannonier, one of the top dogs of the division
- Title defenses matter, and Adesanya is #2 at MW

that makes

Tavares
Kennedy
Brunson
Machida
Weidman
Rockhold
Whittaker
Adesanya

Tbh I thought the second fight with Whittaker was a draw, but a close fight doesn't make it a robbery.
My score:
Round 1: Whittaker 10-9
Round 2: Whittaker 10-9
Round 3: Yoel 10-9
Round 4: Whittaker 10-9
Round 5: Yoel 10-8
I think a lot of people's opinion of this fight is skewed due to Joe's commentary IMO, anyways I've rewatched this war a few time and most of the time I score it like that and feel it should've been a draw.

For the Izzy and Costa fights, I'd have to rewatch them. Well maybe not the Izzy/Yoel one since that was just terrible, how about we just consider that also a draw lol.

Even if you think Whittaker Romero 2 is a draw (which is something that could be discussed), Whittaker clearly won the first fight.
Costa clearly won the fight.
The adesanya fight was a snoozer but Romero did nothing except wait for a big counter.
Rockhold was on his way to retirement

- Adesanya beat Whittaker twice, ko'd him the first time.
- He avenged his loss against double champ Pereira and ko'd him.
- He ko'd Costa and humiliated him
- He beat Cannonier, one of the top dogs of the division
- Title defenses matter, and Adesanya is #2 at MW
It wasn’t a draw, it was a yoel win. He won the last 3 rounds with a 10-8 in the fifth
costa did not clearly beat him. Media scores and fan scores are split almost down the middle. Costa won 1, yoel won 3, 2 is close but yoel landed a lot more and the crowd pop made the judges think costa was seriously hurting yoel

yes the fight was a snoozer and yoel won. The closest round was the 2nd round and yoel almost dropped adesanya who just leg kicked from range and didn’t get any reaction out of yoel. Impact>pitter pat

rockhold was on his way to retirement becuase yoel finished his chin off for good. are you forgetting Luke was supposed to be fighting for the title against whittaker?

-adesanya beat whittaker once, the second fight was a robbery
-he still lost, avenging it doesn’t negate the loss
-costa didn’t deserve the title shot, his best win to that point was Uriah hall, then he lost to marvin who’s terrible, and couldn’t finish no chin Luke at 38. It literally barely counts as a decent win let alone a title defense
-he beat cannonier in one of the most boring fights ever. Performance matters and it was crap. Whittaker almost finished him while adesanya pitter pattered to a decision
-ALL WINS MATTER. Are you telling me izzy beating marvin vettori is better than yoel beating Chris weidman?

Tbh I thought the second fight with Whittaker was a draw, but a close fight doesn't make it a robbery.
My score:
Round 1: Whittaker 10-9
Round 2: Whittaker 10-9
Round 3: Yoel 10-9
Round 4: Whittaker 10-9
Round 5: Yoel 10-8
I think a lot of people's opinion of this fight is skewed due to Joe's commentary IMO, anyways I've rewatched this war a few time and most of the time I score it like that and feel it should've been a draw.

For the Izzy and Costa fights, I'd have to rewatch them. Well maybe not the Izzy/Yoel one since that was just terrible, how about we just consider that also a draw lol.
It’s either a 47-47 like you said or a 48-46, I thought yoel beat out whittakers volume in the 4th when he rocked and wobbled him and made him do the chicken dance for a few seconds

It wasn’t a draw, it was a yoel win. He won the last 3 rounds with a 10-8 in the fifth
costa did not clearly beat him. Media scores and fan scores are split almost down the middle. Costa won 1, yoel won 3, 2 is close but yoel landed a lot more and the crowd pop made the judges think costa was seriously hurting yoel

yes the fight was a snoozer and yoel won. The closest round was the 2nd round and yoel almost dropped adesanya who just leg kicked from range and didn’t get any reaction out of yoel. Impact>pitter pat

rockhold was on his way to retirement becuase yoel finished his chin off for good. are you forgetting Luke was supposed to be fighting for the title against whittaker?

-adesanya beat whittaker once, the second fight was a robbery
-he still lost, avenging it doesn’t negate the loss
-costa didn’t deserve the title shot, his best win to that point was Uriah hall, then he lost to marvin who’s terrible, and couldn’t finish no chin Luke at 38. It literally barely counts as a decent win let alone a title defense
-he beat cannonier in one of the most boring fights ever. Performance matters and it was crap. Whittaker almost finished him while adesanya pitter pattered to a decision
-ALL WINS MATTER. Are you telling me izzy beating marvin vettori is better than yoel beating Chris weidman?

You can't just bend facts in your advantage saying it was a robbery because you felt like it. I could also say Romero's win over Jacare was a robbery. I can say Romero's win over Kennedy was shady. I can say machida was an old MW dehydrated from the cut. I can say a lot of things.
Facts remain facts. Adesanya has more top 10 wins, he's been the champ and Romero hasn't

Last edited:
Seems like his time on top was pretty short to me...but I'll leave it for some butt hurt fanboy, Sorry, I mean fan, to point out the stats to me. Izzy was certainly willing to test himself.

It only feels "short" to you because he fought for the title 9 times in under 4 years, which is some kind of record.

If he had only one defense per year (like some other champions...not gonna mention names) then he would be sitting on a 7-8 year reign.

I would say yes. And his activity should be acknowledged, not used against him

You can't just bend fact in your advantage saying it was a robbery because you felt like it. I could also say Romero's win over Jacare was a robbery. I can say Romero's win over Kennedy was shady. I can say machida was an old MW dehydrated from the cut. I can say a lot of things.
Facts remain facts. Adesanya has more top 10 wins, he's been the champ and Romero hasn't
I don’t think yoel beat jacare I think it was a draw which is why I didn’t include it in his wins. I’m not “bending facts” I’m accepting facts and accepting that judges are frequently incorrect. Yoels win wasn’t shady, Tim’s near finish was cause he hooked yoels glove. And it was the cut man’s fault yoel got extra time not yoel

machida cut less weight than romero did, and hadn’t been knocked out in years, only losing to weidman and rockhold at middleweight in his run.

you can say plenty of things, but whether they’re true or not is independent of your ability to say them

yoel beat adesanya in a title fight, yoel became champ, he has better wins in more impressive fashion with less losses

if you think judges can’t get it wrong then do you accept that 49-44, 48-46 and 47-47 are all equally valid scorecards in Dolidze vs imavov, or are you smart enough to understand that judges are constantly in error

yoel beat adesanya in a title fight, yoel became champ, he has better wins in more impressive fashion with less losses

Ok this is where delusion kicks in. Don't get me wrong, i love Romero. I think he's an amazing fighter, who granted us with great fights (Costa, Machida, Rockhold, Whittaker). I do think he tends to picks his shots too much and knows all the tricks to buy time and save his energy.

Even if we count his fights against Whittaker 2 and Costa as draws, he's still behind Adesanya in terms of achievement. Pereira, Vettori, Cannonier are all great wins and top 5 wins at the time, whether you want it or not.

Back