Is Alex Pereira the least deserving black belt ever?

Respectfully I don't think he is a black belt. He is a lot better than when he fought Izzy though.

Yeah nothing there looks like black belt technique. Looks less technical than the purple belt in my class

Not hating, he's a great champ, but the black belt seems pretty ceremonial

Interesting fact: Rashad Evans never attempted a submission in his entire UFC career.

Never. Even. Attempted.

Food for thought...
Cool stat and real OG, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone with an older account.

Rashad Evans had a pretty suspect black belt
Rolles claimed it was a no-gi blackbelt and the main reason for it was Rashad Evans at the time had verbalized that he was interested in possibly competing in the no-gi portion of IBJJF (no-gi portion was brand new at the time) and Rolles didn't want Evans competing in anything except the highest competitive bracket.
I bet Alex can submit a bunch of regular people who are black belt.
100%. Love when a weekend warrior who barely trains 3x a week gets a BB it's no questions asked but if some high level pro who trains 3x a day (Vitor, Rashad, Alex, Wandy) gets one he's not deserving. Yeah, a high-level pro training with Glover is just making stuff up to look tough and cool.

Last edited:
GLYdiQOWkAA7bTh.jpg:large

you missed the part where alex grappled his ankle (ancient Pataxo tribe skill)
hill was about to tap out to the hold. but Alex KO'd him before that.

On 2nd look, this image is pretty amazing.

Erb is taking at least a glance to see what might be next.

Alex has already put the left into defensive posture. It looks like he is blinking, but I PP'd it. He's not. He's just staring with black eyes, stone-faced. Dude's a savage.

Hill is flashed out. Been there. It can come back real quick. Not quick enough this time.

Dude under Erb's right hand is locked.

Alex's shorts were god-awful.

Bud Light has paid a lot of money to embark on a very long road back to manhood. That whole gender bullshit thing cost a huge, old, very rich company a shit-ton of money, because of obvious things; like no one actually wants to look at poof trannies.

Good pic.

I am admittedly a fat middle aged never trained in BJJ sherdog member ( 6”5 though) …..but from my 25 years watching mma ….Alex didn’t look like a black belt on the ground during his fights …but what do I know

Maybe it's for them hands? Like Mike Perry's.

Wanderlei has never been subbed in his career. He's a good blackbelt. Cristiano Marcello doesn't give out mcbelts. Plenty of dudes from our gym at white and blue can go toe to toe with purples from other gyms. I remember how pissed he was when Shogun got subbed by Sonnen.

Even if I'm absolutely no fan of Vitor, I think he only has been subbed twice, once by Reem and once by Jon Jones?

Pereira is trained under Texeira right? Don't think he's going to risk his reputation giving out belts.
Honestly this feels like a bait thread meant to deride the people op used as examples.

I am admittedly a fat middle aged never trained in BJJ sherdog member ( 6”5 though) …..but from my 25 years watching mma ….Alex didn’t look like a black belt on the ground during his fights …but what do I know
Why would Alex ever "look" like a BB in his fights? Are you expecting him to go for an omaplata or something? If he's on the ground his goals are as follows:

1. get back to his feet
2. mitigate damage until he can get back to his feet
3. end the fight with a submission

The reason you see more high level grappling from actual grapplers than strikers is because they're focused on two completely different styles of fighting. The grappler wants to grapple, the striker doesn't.

Put them in grappling only matches and they'll show their skills.

100%. Love when a weekend warrior who barely trains 3x a week gets a BB it's no questions asked but if some high level pro who trains 3x a day (Vitor, Rashad, Alex, Wandy) gets one he's not deserving. Yeah, a high-level pro training with Glover is just making stuff up to look tough and cool.
It's 100% fantasy in their minds that they, or people they know, have something over professional fighters simply because they have a rank. That hey, there's some amateur / professional fighters at their own gym and they're better than them so they'll also be better than these guys too.

Disregarding entirely that they have not put in as many hours or in more threatening situations as these actual high level fighters.

Look, maybe you actually do know some obscure choke over them. Great. You practice it and they don't because it's not worth the effort of instead being good at what actually works more often in a fight.

I know Poatan skipped out on learning from Dean Lister when Lister showed up at Teixeira MMA to teach. I do not believe he can grapple on a black belt level. especially from the little bit we have seen in the UFC.

I suspect it's a "everyone says this guy can't grapple but... look, he is now a BLACK BELT so if you were considering wrestling my guy then watch out!" kind of promotion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back