Is Alexs grappling defense underrated?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Ever since he entered the UFC it was "he will get grappled and submitted easily"

Well here we are 2 titles in 2 divisions later.... Obviously he has not fought the best grapplers but

Jan had him controlled for a whole round, had his back and never came close to a sub. Got on top late in 3rd and couldnt do anything either.

Jan dominated Izzy on the mat much more thoroughly and end of round 5 had Izzy MOUNTED and saved by the bell. He mightve finished Izzy with 10 more seconds. Yet Alex "cant grapple for shit" and Izzy "underrated defensive grappling". Jan has choked out Krylov who is supposed to be one of the better grapplers in division right now.

Jiri rarely grapples but hes shown hes capable there. First fighter to EVER submit Glover and OFC Glover is Alexs head grappling and MMA coach. Jiri had Alex on his back for half a round and had 3 good GNP shots. That was it. Couldnt get dominant position. No sub attempt. Never came close to finishing. Then when he panic wrestled, he got his grip broken when he had his arms around Alexs legs, caved in with elbows, mounted and finished.....

Alex got RNC choked in his MMA debut but in that fight he gassed badly and it was near end of 3rd. And in his MMA debut so he was green as goose shit. Since then.... He hasnt come close to being subbed. So Alex isnt a great grappler.... But defensively is he underrated?

I think most people are of the opinion that he's pretty defensively sound nowadays. I bet Glover puts him through hell in training.
Oh, exactly.
Guard to minimize damage.
Watch out for subs.
And GET UP.
Glover has shaped his career. If Alex couldn't defend against Jan and Jiri's takedowns, he wouldn't be champion today.

Now, its not Chuck Liddell TDD, but its serviceable.
And I bet he can train train train it because the striking is already there.

Back